Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 03-09-2009, 06:40 AM   #1  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

Default Chronic insomnia

I'm dealing with intermittent chronic insomnia these days. I know it's because I'm seriously stressed, but it's now been added to a sleep disorder (obstructive apnea), and ADD. I get in a cycle, can't shut my brain down at night, finally fall asleep around 4 a.m., have to get up a few hours later, and then I'm worthless the rest of the day. This seems to last a few days until I'm utterly exhausted and finally sleep all night.

When I'm so tired, I tend to eat more while I'm supposed to be awake. I'm too tired to exercise. It's a bad spiral.

It's the racing thoughts that plague me most for now, worries real and invented. I'm going to make an appointment to see my doctor very soon, and hopefully get something for dealing with anxiety. Divorce is ****, but insomnia is torturous.

Georgia
geoblewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 11:44 AM   #2  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Hi Georgia,

Geeze girl, I'm so sorry your dealing with all this. I know what you mean when you say little sleep tends to make you eat more. Its almost as you feel food will give you the energy to get thru the next few minutes. I have adhd, don't sleep well and to dang tired for exercise, I can barely keep up with my full time job and house work (dogs, kids, hubby).

I'm so glad your going to see your doctor YEAH YOU. Please let me know what he says. good luck.

Leenie
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 11:48 AM   #3  

Height: 5'6"

Hi Georgia,
I don't have any advice just a big I hope the doctor will offer you some relief. Good luck.
buddly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 01:15 PM   #4  
Renaissance Woman

Insomnia is how I gained all the excess weight. I started overeating because of marital/emotional issues right at the beginning of my marriage 25 years ago. I slowly started gaining weight. Then the sleep apnea started, but I didn't realize it, and the more tired I got, the more I ate. Eventually I got pregnant, twice, which put me over the top with the weight gain and apnea. I didn't realize I needed help for it until ten years ago. Once I got the CPAP device, I started sleeping more, stopped overeating, and my weight leveled off. That's when I started to lose weight again. Still had marital/emotional issues, but I was finally clear-headed enough to start to do something about them...well, on my part at least. STBX is skinny and sleeps just fine. Don't know what his excuse is! Now I'm down quite a bit of weight and NOW he wants the divorce.

Geo
Old 03-09-2009, 04:25 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 307/284/170

Height: 5' 9"

Hi Geo,

I had been suffering from insomnia for over 8 years due to my depression and severe anxiety. As soon as my head hit the pillow my mind would start racing. I'd get butterflies in my stomach and have really bad anxiety. It basically got to the point where I wouldn't be able to sleep at all through the night for days. I worried about how in the heck I was going to function at work the next day. Needless to say I missed alot of work. I was very surprised that I didn't get fired. My boss was very good about it. Finally after suffering from depression and then post pardom depression after having my son and then being diagnosed with bi-polar my pdoc put me on meds. I am taking an anti-depressant (Wellbutrin) along with a drug called Seroquel which I take just before bed (and a few other drugs for the bi-polar). Let me tell you the Seroquel has changed my life. I'm able to fall asleep easily and through out the night. It's non addictive and doesn't leave that horrible hang over that most over the counter sleep aids give you. You have to get a perscription from you doctor to get them however. I look back now and remember how horrible it was when I had the insomnia to the point that I hated going into my bedroom. There are many herbal remedies out there as well (they didn't work for me though) and sleep centres but I would go see your Doctor first because you don't have to live like that. I wish you all the luck in the world and keep us posted on how you are doing. If you have any questions at all for me just ask as I've been there done that and bought the t-shirt!

Cathy
Jarcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 05:00 PM   #6  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

An otc method you could try, is something like tylenol pm (or just the pm component - benadryl), but I agree that prescription meds may be in order.

I'm also on meds to get and stay asleep. Amitryptiline (an older antidepressant, used in lower doses for helo in getting to sleep), cyclobenzaprine (a muscle relaxant, although it doesn't actually relax muscles, but is used to help people reach deep, restorative sleep). I'm also on mirapex for restless leg and periodic limb movement (I jerk and toss around while I'm sleeping).

Aside from meds, I sleep with a sleep mask on. I had no idea, it would help as much as it does (it's definitely doesn't replace meds, but it's one more little tool to help).
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 11:27 PM   #7  
Renaissance Woman

Wow! You all really are knowledgeable here! Thanks for sharing. I've got an appointment set to see the doctor soon, and will consider taking the Tylenol PM for now, just to get my sleep hygiene back on track.

Thanks again!

Georgia

My blog: http://half-the-woman.blogspot.com/