Old 01-20-2008, 10:42 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 246/244/143

Height: 5'6''

Default Kathy Smith's new book: Feed Muscle, Shrink Fat Diet

Has anyone read this? I was a B&N the other day and I skimmed through it (I was tight on time, dh and kiddos waiting in the car) and it looksed pretty good. Any input?
FitMomEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 01:36 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 212/204.6/175

Height: 5' 5"

Hi FitMomEB,

I had to sign on to this forum JUST to continue this thread. I've been searching all over the internet for someone to start discussing Kathy's new diet book.

I have been a member of the active low-carbers forum and has been following Protein Power (Michael and Mary Dan Eades) for quite some time...with the usual "breaks" that come from falling off the wagon, getting pregnant, having a baby and trying to raise him this past year, etc.

I'd been researching strength training for women a great deal as it's something I believe in, and somehow in my search I came across this book. I think it was via her new DVD workouts, which I've purchased as well.

Coming from a low-moderate carb dieting perspective (versus low fat) I can really get behind her approach. It has a South Beach slant, which I mean in a totally good way. I am all about moderation now (having tried a ton of more extreme ways) and I appreciate that she takes into account how food affects our insulin, not just our metabolism. I read a review somewhere that said Kathy is the "voice of reason" and I tend to agree. Her book is very current in terms of the research out there for effective weight loss and her approach, though not "new" per se, is definitely refreshing...and, for me, very motivating.

Anyone else read this? Anyone else on board?
Lisaz8605 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 03:12 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 179/169/140

Height: 5'7"

Default Kathy Smith Feed Muscle Shrink Fat

Hi there,
I am so happy to find someone interested in this diet. I have looked all over the internet for others who are doing it. I did this diet for a week and a 1/2 last August and lost 4 pounds the first week. I had foot surgery so had to post pone the diet for a while. I can tell you the recipes are easy and taste great. Can I join this thread?
sunnysky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 03:32 PM   #4  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I don't know anything about Kathy Smith's book but it reminds me of an e-book I read a few years ago called 'Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle'. If you are interested in a book on using weights, I recommend New Rules of Lifting for Women or Body for Life.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 08:39 PM   #5  

Nelie, excellent suggestion on that site. I'm all about women weight training and hoping we can dispell the crazy myths that we'll somehow "bulk". Women need to strength train, especially as they get older. (You lose muscle mass after you hit 30...so for me at 39 it's even more important...not to mention what it does for my shape and strength and health.)

Sunnysky, so glad you posted too AND that you tried this successfully, albeit a week and a half. What was it about the surgery that made you go off it? Simply not being able to control what you ate?

As for me, this is very much akin to a number of other plans I"ve read about, including the one Nelie mentioned. It's not a new concept, but simply a new packaging for one I agree with...and I do really like the recipes I've seen thus far. I have a hard time following "diets" and tend more to like guidance on a "way of eating" that I can adjust accordingly. But I'm currently taking her guidance to heart and have adjusted my eating accordingly.

Boiled down, it's essentially a more moderate "quality" carb, calorie-controlled diet with emphasis on quality foods. Like I said, it's nothing new but that doesn't make it a bad thing!

Last edited by Lisaz8605; 02-09-2009 at 08:42 PM.
Old 02-09-2009, 08:45 PM   #6  
Sandy....

S/C/G: 270/207.8/155

Height: 5'5

I haven't read it, sounds interesting though.

Sandy

blog - www.mygritsconfessions.com
mygritsconfessions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 01:16 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 179/169/140

Default Feed Muscle Shrink Fat

Hi Liza. I was following the menu in the book exactly and preparing all the food. The dishes were not hard to make and took minimal time, but when I had my surgery I was in a cast for 6 weeks and I could not really cook very well. I still make some of the dishes now, but want to really start following the menu stay on plan 100%.

Hello FitmomEB, mygritsconfessions, nelie as you can tell I am new to this posting stuff.
sunnysky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 03:00 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelie View Post
I don't know anything about Kathy Smith's book but it reminds me of an e-book I read a few years ago called 'Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle'. If you are interested in a book on using weights, I recommend New Rules of Lifting for Women or Body for Life.
Nelie, was that any use to a vegetarian?
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 03:18 PM   #9  

JuliJ08, I am quite the opposite of vegetarian, but I might be able to comment at least on Kathy Smith's version (I've read a lot about, but not actually purchased and read Tom Venuto's version). I suspect they are both "low carb ish" and that can often be difficult for vegetarians, but not impossible. The real key is getting sufficient protein, as one would assume vegetarians are up to speed on getting sufficient veggies! It's trickier if you're vegan, but Kathy's recommendations of protein powder-infused shakes would certainly help. Are you vegetarian? Octo-lavo? If so, it'd probably be relatively easy to follow. If not, I still think the principles are good (providing sufficient protein for your body and concentrating on quality carbs).
Old 02-10-2009, 03:24 PM   #10  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Julie - I can't remember as to the eating plan and true most body building eating plans are low carbish but honestly its not impossible to do. Beans not meat Possible lean meat subs as well. I think overall its pretty good although I've heard Tom Venuto has a brand new book out that Meg says is really good. You can buy it on Amazon.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 10:03 AM   #11  

I've been so busy lately I forget to stop by, but I thought I should this morning to offer an update. While I wouldn't give full credit to Kathy's diet as I didn't follow it to the letter...I would say that her concepts and principles really helped me get on track and follow a very doable plan. She reminded me to get sufficient protein, to eat frequently, to watch the fat and salt and that exercise is non-negotiable, but small amounts of exercse are a great way to start and that taking care of my lean muscle is truly what will help me in the long run...all very obvious things that I've felt before. But in conjunction with what I already knew, it was an important reminder and exactly what I needed. And she also got me tuned into protein shakes, which I'd gotten away from. There are some food choices in her books I don't agree with since I'm purist when it comes to sugar (or avoiding it) and tend to be a lot of low-carb-oriented than she; however, her recipes and suggestions definitely fit in well with the other similar guidance I've used to create my own weight loss path.

My life has been challenging in ways that it's hard to describe. (Simply put, I'm part of the new "sandwich" generation - not having to do with food, but rather me juggling my elderly mother and my very young son, plus a business!) Finding time for myself seems near to impossible some days. But I make sure to do a DVD workout at home (I accepted that our finances and my schedule just wouldn't allow for the gym right now.). I just try to do 30 minutes each day of the week if I can and take the weekends off, adding in a workout if I missed a weekday. 30 minutes is all I do, sometimes less if absolutely necessary. Sometimes more, but not much more. And I'm keeping it low impact for a lot of reasons (still nursing neck and back injuries, etc.). I'm finally seeing that "no pain no gain" doesn't have to apply.

And as for eating, I have pulled together the principles from her book along with my own beliefs in eating simple, healthy foods. No HFCS, trans fats, nitrates or msg where possible. Organic dairy and other options when I can afford it. Sufficient protein. Snacking (which Kathy helped with as I'd gotten away from that) especially post workout. And overall not worrying too much about what I'm doing, but just plugging along day after day.

There have been some days I've indulged in things that don't belong on any weight loss diet! But I'm finally to a point where I don't let that ruin things and I've even been able to compensate the rest of the day so as not to do too much damage.

And the results speak for themselves. I've lost about 8 lbs in 8 weeks, which is very exciting for me. And my clothes fit SO much better. And I feel so much better. Sure, going this slow can be a challenge, but it's worth it in the long run.