Old 03-07-2009, 08:33 PM   #1  

Default Another Medifast compared to NLD/Wonderslim thread

Hi all. I really got a lot out of MsFB's thread comparing Medifast and New Lifestyle. I am also in the process of trying out some new products, so I thought I'd share my opinions as well. I am primarily using Medifast, but I am looking to add some more variety to my available foods, cut down a little on my soy intake, and make it easier to keep my carbs at the recommended 85-ish level. (Many of the NLD /WS options have less carbs than the comparable Medifast meal.)

To be clear, I am evaluating these foods as substitutions in the Medifast program. I'm not considering using the WS program exclusively, though those who are might still find this helpful.

Right now, I have a few different varieties from Wonderslim. I'm currently waiting on my NLD order to get here.

Initial observations:

1. In Wonderslim vs NLD, I would pick Wonderslim.
From everything I have read, these are the same products, just different labels. The prices seem comparable (though I have heard people say WS is cheaper), but WS has faster shipping.

2. The Wonderslim foods are not as nutritive as Medifast.
This should not be a shocker since WS advises you take a multivitamin and Medifast does not. Comparing the nutrition labels, it is quite apparent that Medifast meals are vitamin fortified, and Wonderslim is not much. Many places also suggest that tablet multivitamins are not absorbed as well as vitamins in food or liquid vitamins, so something to consider when choosing how you get your vitamins.

3. The Wonderslim foods do not have as much fiber as Medifast.
This is important for dieters. Not just for "fiber quota" reasons, but because fiber, like protein, contributes to feelings of fullness and satisfaction. And protein combined with fiber is more effective than just protein alone. Of course, fiber is a carb, so I believe this may be one of the primary reasons Medifast meals on average have more carbs than Wonderslim. People switching from Medifast to Wonderslim will probably want to take careful note of if they feel hungry sooner, because there is a nutritional explanation for why that might be. Also you can buy tasteless fiber supplements to add to liquid foods. This may be an answer for those concerned about fiber/satisfaction.

For those taking a net carb approach, this fiber supplement is probably the equalizer. For those like myself, following the medifast total carb approach, you would just need to count the added carbs if you used it.

PS I would still appreciate it if someone could answer my question about the 200+ calorie meals from Wonderslim, as I am not going to try these products until I know why they are so high in carbs.

Next up, some food comparisons!

Last edited by lazygirl; 03-07-2009 at 08:33 PM.
lazygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 09:42 PM   #2  
Operator265

Also remember--Many folks don't count fiber carbs in their carb calculations b/c fiber is not absorbed in the body. It basically runs through, collects wastes and scrubs out your poop shooter.
Old 03-07-2009, 09:44 PM   #3  
Operator265

I'll try to look it up, Lazy, but I believe you skip 2 replacement meals if you use a 200 cal supplement. IDK. I'll check when I call about trading some of my stuff.
Old 03-10-2009, 09:07 PM   #4  

Default Chocolate puddings (and shakes)

I have been incorporating 1-2 Wonderslim products, plus a multivitamin, into my (otherwise Medifast) diet for about a week now. Since the WS meals vary much more widely in nutrition than Medifast, I have been carefully watching the calories and carbs of the WS options to keep my total intake in line with the Medifast recommendations. I have not noticed any negative effect on my weight loss.

I thought first up I would give my opinion of the chocolate puddings, since our other reviewer isn't doing chocolate.

It's really not surprising that I like the Wonderslim chocolate puddings more than the Medifast, since I cannot stand the soy-based shakes or puddings. (One of my motivations for trying the WS products.) I am pleased to report that both the double chocolate pudding, and the chocolate cream shake/pudding mix do not have the gross under-taste that the soy based Medifast puddings and shakes do. While I can tolerate the whey-based Medifast dark chocolate shake, I think the flavor in the Wonderslim products is better.

Flavorwise, I prefer the double chocolate to the chocolate cream. Double chocolate has a stronger chocolate taste. Chocolate cream would probably make a shake that is more along the lines of the subtle chocolate taste in a fast food milkshake, but I prefer to make the mixes as puddings. (The chocolate cream product can be made as either.)

The Wonderslim puddings/shakes run in the 70-80 calorie / 7-9g carb range, while the Medifast puddings are about 100 calories, 15g carbs (around 13 for shakes). The medifast products have ~ 4g fiber, while the Wonderslim have none. But with the large carb difference, you could still supplement the WS puddings with fiber, and come out with less carbs.

Last edited by lazygirl; 03-10-2009 at 09:11 PM.
Old 03-17-2009, 06:02 PM   #5  
MF'er

S/C/G: See ticker

Height: 5'2" (5'3" on a big hair day)

Thanks Lazygirl. Great idea. It's always good to see how other people like things too.
MsFB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 11:20 AM   #6  

I've been transitioning off plan in preparation for vacation, so I haven't been eating as many packaged meals lately, making it harder to do comparisons. But here's a couple more comparisons before I go

Hot Chocolate:
I actually tried two alternative products here- Wonderslim Hot Chocolate, and Bariwise (the hot chocolate variety pack). I think the Medifast Hot Chocolate is quite good, but at 15g of carbs per serving, I was hoping for something I can use more liberally.

Both the Wonderslim and the Bariwise products were very tasty. No major differences between any of the 3 brand based on taste. However, Bariwise offers a variety of flavors. I have tried the regular and the raspberry so far.

Wonderslim has 6g carbs, and Bariwise has 4g. Bariwise also has 15g protein compared to 12 in Wonderslim. Also, the Wonderslim serving size is only 6 oz, as compared to 8oz with Bariwise.

Therefore, I think the clear winner is Bariwise. More protein, more flavor choices, and less carbs than the other varieties, even if you decided to supplement with Fiber.
Old 03-21-2009, 11:26 AM   #7  

Chili:

I am quite a fan of the Medifast chili. It comes out somewhat bland, but I usually doctor it up with some Chili Powder, Onion Powder, and Cumin. Very good, a nice texture, but in the high range of carbs for their products.

I tried both the Wonderslim Sloppy Joe and the Wonderslim Chili.
Unlike most other products in their line, these products have a comparable amount of fiber to the medifast products. But they have less carbs. So nutritionally a win if you ignore the need for multivitamins.

The Sloppy Joe was tasty, but didn't really taste like chili (nor did I expect it to.) So I would recommend this as an additional food choice, but not necessarily a replacement for chili.

I was disappointed in the Wonderslim chili. It was nearly the same taste and texture as the Sloppy Joe. And because of the spices already in it, harder to doctor to my flavor tastes like Medifast. I also prefer the medifast texture to the Wonderslim for something that is supposed to be a chili product.

So while the WS chili wasn't bad and I will finish the box, I won't be ordering any more.
Old 03-21-2009, 11:33 AM   #8  

Eggs:

This was going to be a tough one for Wonderslim. I love the Medifast eggs (seasoned with salt and pepper), and with 10g carbs and 5g fiber, and no soy, they are one of the best nutritional choices.

Wonderslim makes a cheesy eggs and vegetables product. Only 6g carbs. 1g fiber. So, pretty much once you consider the fiber difference, nutritionally a wash.

However, I did not care for the taste or texture of the Wonderslim product. You're supposed to let them cook into an omelette like patty, as opposed to the scrambled texture of the medifast eggs. This Wonderslim egg cake is not the most enticing form, and they don't scramble too well if you try that. I didn't care for the taste either. The vegetables and the egg product both had a rather chemical undertone too them, and I in general was not impressed by their choice of seasonings.

I'm debating if these are even worth trying to prepare again, or if I will let the box go to waste. I'd definitely give the WS eggs a miss and stick with Medifast here.
Old 03-25-2009, 12:07 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 198/188/150

Height: 5'4

i was thinking of purchasing the 2 week meal for the half price amount just to get the feel of the meal program before i commit to the 4 week (full price) and turns out the meals taste like hard wood.

is this something any one here has tried? the 2 weeks of meals for $155 and then the 4 weeks for the $299?

oh , and how does the Omega 3's and the Momentum meals work? are they essential to the program?

the least expensive package does not include either of them. is this something i should definitely add on if i was to purchase the basic package only? which is more important? the Omega 3's or the Momentum meals? or both?
FATSUITBGONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 03:16 PM   #10  
Operator265

I didn't do the Momentum meals at all. I got the Omega 3s once, but after that, I just started getting them at the GNC here along with multi-vitamins(I'm doing WS this time). I think you should just stick with the basic meal replacements and skip the add-ons. Just seems like wasted money to me.
Old 03-26-2009, 11:32 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 198/188/150

Height: 5'4

Hey thanks for the advice.

Have you experienced any side effects to the Omega 3's?
I've read alot about them. Do you think they've contributed to your 50 lb lost? (CONGRATULATIONS)

Well there's a center a block from my home but they deny offering the 2week meal plan and that it is only available online.

so i'll have to wait a couple days for it to arrive and i won't be able to start on tomorrow like i'd hoped.

my birthday is a month and a half away, and then there's the family reunion at the beach on memorial day and i kinda waited for the last minute to get a move on my dieting.

well....i've been working out, but not eating smart. i've lost 7 pounds on my own since january, but at that rate, it gets discouraging. so...desperate times call for desperate measures.

Last edited by FATSUITBGONE; 03-26-2009 at 11:32 AM.
FATSUITBGONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 12:27 PM   #12  
Operator265

Well, my pee is neon green for the first half of the day(according to my X, it's the B12). Made for an interesting random UA at work one day.

I don't have side effects from taking them, but, I can now tell if I forget them. I just don't have quite as much energy when I forget. So a multi and fish oil will be a daily part of my life from now on.

Last edited by Operator265; 03-26-2009 at 12:27 PM.
Old 03-26-2009, 06:11 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 275/ticker/150

Height: 5'8

Fatsuitbegone--there are a couple other programs out there that are very similar to medifast, but alot less expensive. I know the New Lifestyle Diet (i am starting on sunday) isnt Soy based, but whey based as i know alot of soy isnt that good for women. There is also Wonderslim, which is even cheaper than New Lifestyle but basically the same packages. The difference with these two programs as opposed to medifast is that they have no nutrients in them and so you just need to take a multi-vitimin to suppliment. I read through alot of the threads and i decided on the NLD based on what people were saying.

Just putting my two cents in!
Jennifer28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 07:50 PM   #14  
zay

Hi everyone. Just wanted to drop my opinion here. I ordered the Bariwise crispy 15 bars (they are on sale until Sunday 3/29). The Peanut Butter and Jelly is out of this world! The Peanut Dream is excellent too! They are $7.99 per box.....$7.59 if you order 12 boxes. Plus another 10% off if you order over $99. Great deal, great products. They have 15 grams of protein, 19 carbs and 190 (PB&J). The others are 15 protein and about 15 carbs and 160 calories. The other flavors have good reviews.

Last edited by zay; 03-27-2009 at 07:32 AM.
zay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 08:57 PM   #15  
MF'er

S/C/G: See ticker

Height: 5'2" (5'3" on a big hair day)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer28 View Post
Fatsuitbegone--there are a couple other programs out there that are very similar to medifast, but alot less expensive. I know the New Lifestyle Diet (i am starting on sunday) isnt Soy based, but whey based as i know alot of soy isnt that good for women. There is also Wonderslim, which is even cheaper than New Lifestyle but basically the same packages. The difference with these two programs as opposed to medifast is that they have no nutrients in them and so you just need to take a multi-vitimin to suppliment. I read through alot of the threads and i decided on the NLD based on what people were saying.

Just putting my two cents in!
Jennifer,

please note only the shakes are whey based. Everything else on new lifestyle is soy based. Read the ingredients list. I have a list of items in my comparison thread.

all the best,
jen
MsFB is offline   Reply With Quote