Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Old 04-10-2008, 03:44 PM   #1  

Height: 5'6

Default Smart for Life Weight Loss COOKIES

Well...I know...I do want my cookie and eat it too . Has anyone tried this? Does it leave you basically starving because you only had a few cookies and a "sensible" dinner? Is it a glorified SlimFast plan? I am desperate to get into my summer clothes (which are mostly still my skinny clothes that no longer fit) and tired of my bra digging into my sides...any advice would be appreciated. I refuse to buy a new wardrobe until I get down to goal weight.
michelinwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 12:43 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 223/209/160

Height: 5 5'

I'm on day six of the diet and I've lost 5.5 pounds already!!!!It's a good diet and contrary to popular belief, you do get the chance to eat alot of 'real' food. For example, a cookie for breakfast, a cookie mid morning, a 8oz chicen breast for lunch,, a cookie at 2pm, another at 3:30pm, maybe another on the way home from work at 5, have a big dinner, of chicken, veggies, and salad at 6:30, and a cookie for a good for a evening snack! That's it, you wont be hungry, you won't be tired, and you'll see results quickly, so there's real progress happening before youre eyes, and it seems healthy in my opinion because you do get to eat two really nutritious meals a day! It's a no brainer diet, because you don't really need to think about what to eat when your tired and don't feel like making a healthy snack, you just grab a cookie and you're on your way!It's only day six and I truly can't say enough good things about it!

Last edited by MEGAn; 01-13-2009 at 12:44 PM. Reason: typo
MEGAn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 08:23 AM   #3  
MBN

S/C/G: 150/G:finding the happy me

Height: 5'2"

A friend of mine has lost a significant amount of weight - over 100 lbs - on the cookie diet over the last 9 months. It works because it is a pretty severe calorie restriction diet -- around 800-1000 calories, I believe. She is only eating one meal per day, eating cookies as replacement for the rest of the meals. Anyone WILL lose weight on that plan. But, it's a very low calorie intake and you would have to be very careful that you are getting balanced nutrition and you risk metabolism slow-down too.

My concern about this and other similar "meal replacement" plans is that they don't teach you how to eat, they teach you how to not eat. So you lose a lot of weight, go off the diet, and then what? My concern for my friend is that she has a history of losing tons of weight, and then just gaining it all back when she goes off the diet, because she has never learned to eat for maintenance.

Any diet that restricts calories will cause you to lose weight, but it's important that you establish some kind of long term eating and exercise plan that allows you to take the weight off in a healthy way and maintain your weight loss over time. The cookie approach may be a good jump start, but is probably not the best long term plan. Just my opinion ...
MBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 01:24 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 150/145/110

Height: 4 ft 11

Yeah, I've been interested in the cookie diet, I think the one by Dr Siegal. He's the originator of it and my friend said the cookies are very tasty
kari1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 04:16 PM   #5  

Yeah, I also am intrigued by the cookie diet. I just ordered the *** Diet Cookie and I will start when I get them. I want to lose 50 lbs (I would settle for 40). I will keep you updated on my progress. Wish me luck!
CindyR68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 05:24 PM   #6  
Empress/Queen

As someone said up thread, any low calorie diet will cause an individual to lose weight.

I've baked bodybuilder cookies (that's what I call 'em) using healthy ingredients, etc., and I've used a lot of whey and yogurt and soy and fruit in my homemade shakes and I've snacked on Muscle Milk when on the go as well as Slimfast so dunno, cookies don't sound so crazy to me, but I don't need special cookies just to cut calories.

Whatever works, t'is better than pills, in my opinion.
Amarantha2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 12:43 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 212/204/150

Height: 5'3"

Red face New Smart for Life member

Just joined Smart for Life last week with my daughter. So far, so good although I can say that she's having a harder time than I am. She's in college and is surrounded by others munching all day long where as I sit in my office. Have a long road ahead of us but we are committed to never have to shop in a plus size store again. I would appreciate any tips that you care to share. Evening recipes would also be great.
bemo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 01:33 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 234/234/148

Height: 5'7"

My daughter and I are doing Smart For Life. It has been two weeks for her and a week and a half for me. She has a center in her area but I don't so I bought them at their site on line. I lost 5.2 my first week. The cookies make me drink alot of water which is great because I usually don't. The cookies take some getting use to but I really like them now. Chocolate chip are my favorite but my daughter's least favorite. I also got the blueberry ( my daughter's favorite) and the oatmeal raisin. I love the simplicity of it. I have tried alot of plans and programs and I truly believe this one is the one that is gonna get this weight off of me. I would recommend it. It took a while to talk my husband into me doing it because of the cost. He knows how miserable I have been. I have telling myself for SO long that tomorrow I am gonna start a program and it so nice to go to bed without that thought because I am sticking with this one.
rprbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 08:39 AM   #9  
Maintenance May 2011

S/C/G: 312/149/150

Height: 5'6"

Smart For Life filed for bankruptcy last Fall which always makes me nervous when giving my money to a company. Beyond that though, my biggest concern is why they make the nutritional information a secret. You have to order and pay for your cookies and then you can read the label when you get them. That IMO is very wrong. Many people need to know the ingredients for allergy reasons. And why can't you just order single packs of the cookie flavors to try them out. The closest was a 9-day kit for $97 and they only come in oatmeal OR chocolate. Paying close to $100 is a very expensive way to read the ingredient label.

Dr. Siegal who is the originator of the cookie diet fares better. Again, you have to buy a lot of cookies to try them out: single flavor 7-day packs at $59 each. After much prodding he now offers the nutritional information on the website. I was shocked at how little substance these cookies have...I guess I expected meal replacements to have more protein (only 5g) and fiber (only 2g) in them. The protein from beef protein hydrolysate is also a concern (WHAT is that??? ) I'm presuming that Smart For Life cookies have similar ingredients. I'm curious as to how either of these cookies could be hunger controlling.

I guess I'm just disappointed. As this is a very busy time of year for me, I was looking for something that would be easily portable and quick to replace some of my meals/snacks. I just don't want to invest hundreds of dollars for a few different flavors.
mizski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 12:53 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 213/175/150

Height: 5'5

Default Cookie Diet

I accidently ran across this website when I was looking for info on the Smart for Life cookie diet. I'm so glad I did, just reading everyone's experience has motivated me to diet even more. I started the Smart for life diet yesterday and so far so good. I'm really encouraged with the comments I've read about it. I welcome any words of advice, I'm weak when it comes to dinner time, and knowing that there are other people out there with the same diet it helps to hear what you make for dinner.... and your progress.
Raquel
Raquel7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 11:50 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 234/234/148

Height: 5'7"

Hi Raquel, I have been having baked chicken breast and salad for dinner. I tried the recipe for BBQ Stuffed Peppers on the Smart for Life website and they were very good. I had never cooked with ground turkey and I was pleasantly surprised.
rprbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 09:29 PM   #12  

Thanks for the tip.
HOw is the diet coming along? Have you and your daughter lost more weight on the cookie diet? I'm on my fifth day and feel great. A little tired but it's my lack of exercise.
Old 05-06-2009, 03:56 PM   #13  

Hi guys, I got my *** Diet Cookies back in March and I've lost 21 lbs so far! I feel great and I'm really optimistic I will reach my goal. You can get their nutritional info off their website. It was a little rough the first two days. Now I know that it's ok if you eat 8 to 10 cookies the first day or two. you have to get used to the change in eating habits. by day 5 I had to remind myself to eat. I like mexican food and many evenings I will have a couple of buritos made from whole wheat tortillas, vegetarian refried beans, tomato, guacomole, shredded lettuce, shredded soy cheese and Taco Bell sauce. Tostados too (using corn tostado shells). I also like to make a pot of brown rice then cook a pot of mixed frozen veges and can beans with soy sauce and stir fry sauce. I eat the rice/reg/bean together.
Old 05-07-2009, 06:02 PM   #14  

Thumbs up

Cindyr68, congrat. That is awesome. 21lbs!!! I can't wait to be there. Which cookie diet are you doing? Wow, I don't think my diet allows burritos of any kind. I haven't checked out the the website, like someone else here mentioned, for recipes. I'm getting tired of only eating fish and chicken for dinner. I'm on my 11th day of the diet and today for some reason I'm feeling extra tired and hungrier than I have in the past. I'm still motivated and very proud of myself. I had a couple friends over for dinner last night and I only had salad and a chicken/veggie fajita contrary to what I made for them (mushroom yogurt chicken on a bed or white rice). They didn't know I was on a diet and they brought dessert from "Extraordinary Dessert" (in SD- it has the best desserts in town). Needless to say I didn't even smell it.
Old 06-13-2009, 05:15 PM   #15  

Me again. Wow Raquel... you're an awful nice person to host a dinner party while you are dieting!
Here's my update... I've lost a total of 30 lbs and look and feel SO MUCH better. I'm kind of in a holding pattern right now because there are too many vacations, weddings, family reunions going on. I haven't gained any of the weight back because I still eat 1 or 2 each day (I start the day with them) just to keep my eating under control. I can't wait until the end of summer then I will tackle the last 20 lbs. I will let you know how it goes. For some reason the moderator blocks the name of the cookie diet I am on.
Also, I just learned to eat more on the days I felt like I should (like you feel). And one other thing... the one I am on makes sure there is nothing in the cookie that promotes hunger. I know that some of the others contain SUGAR!
Hope this helps!

Last edited by nelie; 06-13-2009 at 10:25 PM.