Old 03-04-2009, 08:36 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/165

Height: 5'7"

Default how do you do it ..

as i read through posts on here i see some of you ladies have lost a good amount of weight in a very short time .. how do you do it?? I've been watching what i eat .. counting my calories i eat around 1400 a day and exercise .. granted i don't do a great deal of working out I'm waiting for some extra money to join the gym so for now I'm doing what I'm able to at home the tabata squats and crunches 3 times a week sometimes more i do wall push ups and when I'm able to i do the cardio work outs on fit TV and yet I'm still stuck I have been 282 for the last couple of weeks and i cannot get out of these stupid 280s can someone PLEASE help me I'm just so ready to give up .. I guess the positive side is I'm not gaining but I'm not losing .. sorry for the vent
haleysmommy5402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 08:39 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/150

Height: 5'4

If you are excersizing even a little, it's possible you aren't eating enough calories. I know it sounds strange....to ear more to lose weight, but it does work. Also, "what" you are eating is important too. If you are keeping track online what you are eating, try posting it for all of us and we can give some better opinions once we see what you're eating. Good Luck hon.....we all know it's not easy to lose weight...
Smiling_Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 08:54 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/165

I track on sparks people when im able to usually i just keep track on my own at home but when i do track on there they always tell me im doing good except for sometimes im not getting enough carbs but im usually right in the middle of where i need to be .. i wondered about needing to eat more because im exercising .. i dont have a clue to tell how many calories im burning doing the few exercises that i do so i dont know how many calories i should up .. ugh so frustrating ..
haleysmommy5402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 09:01 AM   #4  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Hailey, the key to my somewhat fast-ish weight loss - consistiency. Consistiency. And more consistiency.

Even one day of "off-plan" eating will cause a set back.

I stuck with my plan day in and day out. Day after day after day after day. I didn't tolerate excuses. Once I made the decision to get healthy and get rid of the weight - I wanted it off. So I stuck with my plan. Day in and day out. Day after day after day after day.

I stuck with my plan through stress, holidays, parties, birthdays, weekends, vacations, intense cravings, boredom, frustration, family illnesses. You name it - I stuck with it. It's not for everyone, but it is what I chose to do.

I'm not sure if this is the case, but during the past couple of weeks, where you've been stalled - have you had even one off day? Or perhaps several? You've got to be brutally honest with yourself. Brutally. You need to carefully montitor those calories. Your body will keep an accurate journal, even if you don't.

And you need not be a member of a gym to exercise. Walking costs nothing and burns lots of calories. A stretchie band is under 15 bucks and is a great way to start stength training.

Remember, if you want the weight off, you MUST stick with your plan. You can't have it both ways. It just can't be.

Last edited by rockinrobin; 03-04-2009 at 09:04 AM.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 09:02 AM   #5  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

If I were you, I would up to 1800-1900 calories daily (you can decrease later) and exercise every day. Don't worry about the gym or whatever. Just put on some decent shoes and walk briskly for at least 30 minutes each day. The more, the better. You really can do this.

Also, calories add up very, very quickly. Make sure your counting is spot on. You can buy a food scale for about 8 dollars. Measuring cups and spoons are a must.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 09:03 AM   #6  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

Ditto what Rockin' Robin said. CONSISTENCY is the key.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 09:21 AM   #7  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

Please sign my name to Robins post...day after day after day after day...no exceptions, no excuses!

At your weight, and at 1400 calories a day even without exercise, you should (theoretically) be losing around 1-3 pounds a week. (or more). Are you measuring, weighing and honestly logging every bite that goes into your mouth? Have you been to the doctor lately for a check up? Any lab work done lately? T4 & a TSH ?

I didn't even begin any type of structured exercise until I lost a good deal of weigh, because my ankles couldn't take it...you don't have to belong to a gym to lose weight...TRUST me. I've never set foot in a gym! This sometimes get me in trouble so please don't think I'm telling anyone not to join a gym. Gyms are great if you can afford one, and have one locally that will fit into your life style...I just don't want to drive 40 miles to the nearest one to me.

Last edited by Lori Bell; 03-04-2009 at 09:26 AM.
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 10:22 AM   #8  
NROL4W-Stage 5

S/C/G: 207/148.5/125

Height: 5'1.25"

Here's how to calculate your daily intake of calories/day based on your activity... Calculate your BMR and then based on that your daily calorie intake on your activity level. Use this as a guideline to help you figure out your calorie/day. Don't estimate or guesstimate your food intake. Measure and log everything you eat. Even if it's just 3 almonds. Trust me, it all adds up. I know I've been there done that.

I was stuck for a bit too and apparently I wasn't eating enough. I do workout 6 days a week at home. You don't have to workout every day but do what you can. And, yes, consistency is the key. If you can't join gym yet, walk (like Robin suggested), jog in place while watching your favorite show, take stairs instead of elevator etc get your heart rate up...little things make a difference. Also make sure the exercises you are doing your form is right otherwise it won't help.

And whatever changes/modifications you make to you WL plan give it about 2-3 weeks to see any change.

BTW are you eating snacks between meals?

Last edited by pintobean; 03-04-2009 at 10:37 AM.
pintobean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 10:41 AM   #9  
nirvikalpa samadhi

S/C/G: 369.5/ticker/169.5

Height: 5'8"

I have lost about 100 lbs and more than 5 dress sizes in six months. I am on Atkins induction and I don't do processed foods. I have been very inconsistent with exercise but I was given a free gym membership by a former employer and good friend yesterday so I will start exercising some too. Low carb isn't for everyone but it's the only thing that works for me because I am a carbohydrate addict.

Like so many others have said, consistency is the key. You have to be there mentally. I started 8/14/2008 and I have been 100% on plan every day since then because I AM SICK AND TIRED OF BEING FAT AND I REFUSE TO BE FAT ONE SINGLE SECOND LONGER THAN NECESSARY. I want to get there as fast as possible. Cheating makes it take longer. So, no cheating.
DCHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 01:10 PM   #10  
In the Home Stretch!

S/C/G: See Tracker

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thighs Be Gone View Post
Ditto what Rockin' Robin said. CONSISTENCY is the key.
Another Ditto...If I have a day that I'm off plan a bit let me tell ya I can feel it. Drinking was another curveball for me, just 2 martinis on a Friday night and I won't lose weight for at least a week. No more drinks for me, losing weight is way more important to me.

Weigh and measure all your food.

I'm a firm believer now that a clean, consistent diet, along with exercise is the key.

All the best
daniela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 02:18 PM   #11  
NEVER EVER going back

S/C/G: 377/240's/150

Height: 5 feet 5 inches

Stay on plan. ALL THE TIME. Rockinrobin said it best. I don't cheat. If I want a TREAT I work it INTO my calories. I have not been off plan even one day in over five months. Not even one day. And I have lost just over 83 lbs and 8 pant sizes.

Whole foods, minimally processed, cut out the white (flour, rice, pasta, bread) LOTS of fruits and veggies, tons of water and exercise. Lots of nice lean protein and you're good to go.

But FOR ME it has to be this way. I'm not willing to cheat and pay the price. I want to keep on plan and get healthy quickly. Giving that up for a cheeseburger is hardly the price I want to pay you know?

Good luck!!!
cfmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 07:05 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 331 highest 308/see ticker/185

HERE IS A POST I JUST RESPONDED TO LINDALOU0510 A COUPLE HOURS AGO ON THE I'M SO DISCUSTED THREAD

Keep in mind it takes ALOT of calories just to hold a 300 pound body upright..seriously folks! That is a lesson that has been so very hard for me to learn, after MANY doctors over the course of 15 years I am finally starting to believe that, but when I go back to my old ways and let myself go down to 1500 cals or so the loss stops, and stalls until I get my calories up.

Now this is not the case for everyone, each person has a different body make up, different metabolism, and different damage they have done to their metabolism..........but it seriously takes SOME people over 1800 calories just to "BE" at 280-320 pounds, that is scientific fact.

Look up a BMR calculator, for a 300 pound, 42 yr old woman, at 5'4" it takes 2063 calories just to maintain your body as is, while you lie in bed all day...........really!

Then if you are working out 6-7 times a week, as Linda is, The Harris Benedict Equation says to multiply your BMR by 1.725....that is 3558 calories a day (to maintain...not to loses) SO to lose you need to knock of 3500 calories for a pound, right? Two pounds a week would be trimming off 1000 calories a day, or 2558 calories........

For me I am "lightly active", no where near Linda (But her comment about what you will your mind to do really hit home!) SO I multiply my 2063 by 1.375 according to Harris Benedict, that gives me 2836 to "BE", trim off 1000 calories a day to lose 2 pounds a week that puts me at 1800.......

It does sound crazy for many people, but it is VERY TRUE for many of us

I really don't think you are getting enough calories; Sparks seems to shoot low on calories I find, It says I need 1200-1400, and when I do that I stall for weeks on end until I get the calories back up (story of my February!)
Redflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 08:52 AM   #13  
Loving life!!

S/C/G: 360/159/145

Height: 5' 8"

I also agree with Robin...it's taken a lot of dedication and consistency. Knowing in your heart that this is under your control & if you keep at it you will lose is a high like no other

and with Redflame.
Try upping your calories a bit. 1400 calories just seems really low
TJFitnessDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 10:26 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 290/See Ticker/150

Height: 5ft 4 inches

Quote:
Originally Posted by pintobean View Post
Here's how to calculate your daily intake of calories/day based on your activity... Calculate your BMR and then based on that your daily calorie intake on your activity level. Use this as a guideline to help you figure out your calorie/day. Don't estimate or guesstimate your food intake. Measure and log everything you eat. Even if it's just 3 almonds. Trust me, it all adds up. I know I've been there done that.

I was stuck for a bit too and apparently I wasn't eating enough. I do workout 6 days a week at home. You don't have to workout every day but do what you can. And, yes, consistency is the key. If you can't join gym yet, walk (like Robin suggested), jog in place while watching your favorite show, take stairs instead of elevator etc get your heart rate up...little things make a difference. Also make sure the exercises you are doing your form is right otherwise it won't help.

And whatever changes/modifications you make to you WL plan give it about 2-3 weeks to see any change.

BTW are you eating snacks between meals?

Not to steal the thread or anything but I just tried that BMR calculator and explored the site a bit.

According to the site, if I should be eating 1,838 calories a day to lose weight! OMG! That seems like so much. What I mean is, how I can't believe how many calories I must have been consuming for 1,838 to be a REDUCTION! YIKES!
I think I may start counting calories. Now I am just plain curious as to how much I am eating without even thinking about it!
irishsarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 12:29 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 289/278.8/155

This is such a timely thread for me.....I lost 100# several years ago, put about half of it back on, and am now working on losing that and the rest I need to lose, about 125# all total to lose.

When I am consistent, I lose. When I add in little things (or big things) I don't. Sometimes it takes me awhile to "get" that....but there it is, plan and simple. I lost that 100# in less than a year by being consistent...

So I am eating my nice little low carb breakfast here, and looking forward to the day....consistency means success!!
Scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote