Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-03-2009, 03:44 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 222/ticker/160

Height: 5'11

Default discouraged

So, usually i quit diets after like four days. well, it has almost been a month this time and ive been doing really well, i lost 7 pounds in the first two weeks.. but then this week ive only lost 1.4 pounds. i realize it takes time but this is why i usually give up. i feel that it isnt working. i mean, my body is killing me, i worked so hard, i dont cheat, and still... almost nothing comes off. im just feeling really down and discouraged to the point where i just want to be done already. idk how much i can take of this disappointment. maybe its just a bad day to begin with and this just didnt help it out anyway.
xpinkglowx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 03:53 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 147/142/125

Height: 5'3

Dont give up 1.4 pounds in a week is good! I would take it!! Its not healthy to lose to much to fast and the first couple weeks you lose is usually water weight thats why you lose so fast.. Keep up what your doing and you have to remember this is a slow process..
butterflywings34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 04:12 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 160/160/115

Height: 5'2"

I would possibly kill someone to be able to lose 1.4 pounds per week. Ok, not really... but selling my soul wouldn't be out of the question. I lose 0.5lb a week when I'm doing quite well. It gets harder and harder as you get lower.

To lose 7lb a week, you must have been starting out at a pretty high weight, so I know just a pound or so each week seems like such a small percentage... but just think, if you lost that much every single week, you'd lose 72.8 lb in a year, and that must be a decent chunk of the weight you want to lose.

Losing weight slowly makes it SO MUCH easier to keep it off, is healthier, lets your skin rebound a little better, and preserves more of your muscle. (I'm generalizing, of course, it won't do all of those for everybody, but it's been shown to do them all at some point).
mayness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 04:14 PM   #4  

S/C/G: S 225 / C 192 / G 140

Height: 5'8"

Hi xpink - try to keep track of your progress the best you can. When I look back, I'll have weeks where I suddenly lose more than usual and other weeks where I lose pretty much nothing. It seems to work in bursts for me so maybe it's the same for you. I would try to watch the longer progress over the course of each month. I have those days too though where it seems slower than it really is but every decision you make to be healthy will be worth it over time. Sometimes there is a slight lag.

Also remember that if you splurge a little bit once a week or once every few weeks, sometimes your body responds favorably Mine decides "wait, maybe I will get some of this good stuff every now and then and don't need to hold onto the fat so tightly."
healthierme78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 04:58 PM   #5  
Where'd my 23yo body go?

Height: 5'3"

8.4lbs in 3 weeks is FANTASTIC! Good for you! I know seeing a smaller weight loss this week sucks, but look at your over-all number. Even on The Biggest Loser, they have weeks that they don't lose much. Just remember, it's a marathon, not a sprint,

Congrats again on your 8.4lbs!!!!!!!
daydreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 06:17 PM   #6  
Heidi

S/C/G: 204.5/149/153

Height: 5'7"

We must have started at the same time; I've been at this for 3 weeks, too. I've only lost 3.7lbs, so less than half of what you have lost, and I still feel great. You should feel great, too, not disappointed!

Just take it off one pound at a time... I hope you hang in there!
newleaf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 07:27 PM   #7  
Ready to hit the beach!

Height: 5' 8"

Hang in there, you are off to a great start. I have been at this for over 6 months and I am now only losing about 2 - 3 pounds a month. Would I like it to be faster? Yes, but I know that I am more likely to keep it off if it comes off slowly. Keep up the good work!
Onmyway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 08:57 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 183/172/140

Height: 5'5''

Don't give up! This is typical. At first you lose a water weight with your actual fat weight. Weight loss slows after the first week or two. Losing a pound to two pounds a week is the most healthy way to do it. If that means, say, 5 pounds by the end of a month, that is wonderful. You are doing great.
shrinkingviolet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 09:15 PM   #9  
RMS
Rebecca

S/C/G: 275/275/<199

Height: 5'3"

Try not to get discouraged. You should be so proud that you've worked hard for a month! That's nothing to shrug off. I agree that most of your weight was probably water weight. You'll have the peaks and valleys.

All I can say is return to the site. You'll get a lot of encouragement and hopefully you won't quit this time. Good luck!
RMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 09:24 PM   #10  
Caroline

Height: 5'0"

I've been at it for two and a half years and I'm just over halfway there. My average is half a pound a week, though there have been loooong stretches where I didn't lose anything. But I don't give up because the alternative is ending up right where I started, and I was miserable there. So I keep going.

You have to decide if you were unhappy enough with where you started to keep moving forward, no matter how long it takes.
thistoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 07:22 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 175/169/135

Height: 5' 2"

It can be discouraging when you seem to be losing slowly, but don't give up. You're just getting to the point of being a "real loser", not a "water loser"! 1.4 pounds/week really is a good rate, and will make the weight easier to keep off in the long run. And more important, the healthier eating and exercise are making changes to your health that you can't see on the scale.
lovelosing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 08:17 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

pinkglow, as you can tell from the responses, you're really doing great! It may be that your expectations are unrealistic. And unless you change the expectations and see your success you are likely to remain discouraged! And that can lead to giving up.

So listen to a lot of wise advice and see how WELL you're doing!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 09:04 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 220 (2007) 159 (now)/159/140

Height: 5 feet, 8.5 inches tall

Heck...I GAINED 5 pounds when I started and didn't LOSE a single one for an entire month! You're doing great...just keep it up!
MindiV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 09:33 AM   #14  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

1.4 lbs a week? That's pretty fantastic.

I'm just wondering, how many lbs did you think one can possibly lose in a week - week after week after week? 1 -2 lbs is what one can expect. And that could mean 1/2 lb one week, 2 lbs the next, and one the week after that. Weight loss is not linear, even if we were to duplicate the same foods and activity level 2 weeks in a row.

Give up? What kind of talk is that? Giving up certainly won't get the weight off any faster. Maybe it'll even help you to put a few more lbs on.

Just breathe. Stick with your plan. It's working. It's working. Accept the fact that this WILL take time. Use that time wisely - stick with your plan -and learn good healthy habits that you can adhere to - forever.

Last edited by rockinrobin; 03-04-2009 at 09:36 AM.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 09:43 AM   #15  
Ija
Extra gluten

S/C/G: 286/135/135

I've had plenty of weeks where I stuck to my plan, exercised diligently, and yet very little weight came off. Sometimes, in fact, no weight came off, whereas other weeks resulted in pretty big losses (3-4 pounds). It's just how the human body works. But if I gave up each time the scale didn't move, I would still be morbidly obese right now.

And to me, 1.4 pounds in a week sounds just right!
Ija is offline   Reply With Quote