Closed Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 10:54 AM   #1  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Default Active Folks Over 50 -- #22

Hey!

-------------
Active Folks Over 50 is a place to talk about fitness and healthy eating information as it relates to weight loss and/or maintenance--and also about any work, fun, hobby, or volunteer activites you're engaged in. In other words, the active part of your life!

Just a few guidelines for this thread:

- Raves about grandkids or ranting about your kids is out of bounds.

- Lengthy discussion of your illnesses, conditions, treatments, and medical procedures in general is also out of bounds on this thread. So is whining about old age!

- Positive stories of vacations taken, volunteer work, or achievements at work or elsewhere are highly encouraged! As are recommendations for books, movies, discussions of weight related issues, etc.

Join in!
----------------------

Hey Jada, good move with that change of direction! No one "needs" a whole Marie Callendar pie. You "done good" to realize it! Sometimes hunger can be satisfied with better choices.

As for me, it's just another work day... We have a cold front coming through, and it's rainy and windy out there. Brrrr.

I'm down another pound today. Ridiculous. But I'll take it!

Hope you're all having a good Sunday.

Jay
Old 03-01-2009, 12:30 PM   #2  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Well, so far a few flurries is all we've seen today -- definitely nothing lion-like yet, although can't say it looks very lamby either.

BTW . . . have any of you been reading the Twilight series? If so, what do you think? I loved the Harry Potter books and this now seems to be the latest craze. The comparison has been made but I can't see it. Guess I just like witches and wizards better than vampires and werewolves.
Old 03-01-2009, 12:34 PM   #3  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

Jada One choice at a time - and you made a GREAT one

Jay - I'm so excited for you - I'm doing a happy dance in my living room. That makes 4 lbs down since starting to eat MORE! What a wonderful revelation for you.

The weather is nasty here - very cold and windy. I'm glad I made a big pot of soup last night. It is perfect for a day like today!

We start a new study at church tonight - we do a short 5 week study every Lent. Each week we have a different food focus. Being a vegetarian AND a picky on-plan eater can make these events challenging. But, as usual, I will plan ahead and take emergency food with me.

Hope you all are having a good weekend!
Old 03-01-2009, 02:45 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 237/224/145

Jay: Congratulations on the weight you lost. It's so comforting to know you don't have to be miserable to lose weight.
I have walked a lot yesterday and today. Great weather here. Yesterday I had to stop off at home and change into a sleeveless blouse and then I hit the road again. I hope your doing well in the storms I'm hearing about on the weather channel. Sounds serious to have freezing rain and then to have snow following it. Makes me glad to be in the desert right now.
Old 03-01-2009, 05:28 PM   #5  

Hi all! Sorry no pictures yet. I'm working on it. Man, it feels like I have been away forever, so forgive me for not being up to date with everything, but I need to get back with you all. I know I gained some weight back. At first it was terrible, but in the first week I lost 4 pounds in a snap. (Wish it could always be that way!) My first full week back at work was pretty good. All caught up with what was left waiting for me. I did call back to work about a week after I left and got news that my substitute was having some problems. Needless to say, I didn't call back again, didn't need to think about that, and everything has worked out OK. They missed me, and I did sort of miss them. My work place is also a kind of family.
We started on Oahu, hiked Diamond Head, which was quite a workout, but so worth the view at the top. We were able to walk there, about 40 min., from our hotel. Stayed on Waikikee Beach. The pro-bowl was going on, so a lot of partying was happening.
Next we went to The Big Island and stayed at the most beautiful hotel I've ever been at. In Hawai'i they don't have doors in most of the lobbies of the hotels, it's just always warm. The pool here was wonderful. We were able to watch manta rays come in to the bay at the hotel and eat. So fasinating!
After that we went to Maui where we went whate watching. Humpback whales were everywhere! Seems it was the season to be there. My husband took a picture of a whale in full body breeching, and we saw baby whales too! We also traveled the road to Hanna and back. The shopping was great here too! Our hotel here had a pool and a pond inside with flamingos!
Lastly we went to Kauai. Chickens run all over this island.
We toured each island, saw the pineapple, coffee, and macadamian nut plantations too. We went to the southern most bakery in the United States with all kinds of breads, of course one was pineapple! Free samples of all kinds everywhere! I did not see any sharks, thank goodness, but we did see some green sea turtles. We had the breakfast at each hotel with the sweetest pineapple you could every have. They also had fish for breakfast, which doesn't always sound appitizing, but it was delicious! I did get a tan, no peeling sunburn! It was a great vacation!
Now it is time to get back in the swing of things. I gave myself a week to readjust. And now it is March 1st! Wow, how time flies! School is out in 3 months!
It's almost spring! We're ready!
Old 03-01-2009, 08:03 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 225/223/150

Height: 5'5''

Hi to all

Jlou Welcome back it sounds like you had a wonderful refreshing break. It brings back some beautiful memories that I have of Hawaii. I've only been there in summer. I need to go back in winter some day. Did you do any snorkeling. That was one of my favorite things. My husband caught a 286 pound blue marlin when we were there. We have some wonderful pictures too!

Jay congrats on your fantastic weight loss. Would you mine sharing your daily calorie range. I've read some conflicting reports on how many calories you should be consuming. I know it's also based on your activity level. Anyone else that wants to share.

I've been trying to stay under 1500. I'm wondering if that's a good number.

I changed my ticker to a mini goal for myself.

Is it just me or has this been one of the coldest winters in memory?

Last edited by flowingair; 03-01-2009 at 08:04 PM.
Old 03-02-2009, 08:26 AM   #7  
Onward and Downward

Good Morning . . .

What can I say . . . guess the lion showed up after all . . . things definitely look all freshly white and pretty out there. Wonder what kind of mess will show up today.
Old 03-02-2009, 01:50 PM   #8  

Good morning everybody. I've been following the weather back east. I hope everybody's doing okay.
Old 03-02-2009, 05:17 PM   #9  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hey everyone! Cold and crazy day here... I went to step class this morning and the inevitable happened. I tripped on the step and went down. Fortunately the only thing hurt was my pride. Yes, you do have to lift your feet! The instructor said it happens to everyone, so I don't feel too bad.

Way too busy with tax returns... Gotta run!

Jay
Old 03-02-2009, 06:57 PM   #10  

Jen - glad you had such a good time! I can't wait for more details! I definitely need to add Hawaii to my future vacations list

Lori - one of the coldest and snowiest winters! It seems that it has gone on forever!

Jay - I've done that with the step many, many times! I swear that that step moves on it's own. You look up to follow the instructor, and that darn step slithers sideways!

A good start to the week here. We did have scrumptious home made soups and breads and desserts last night at class. But, for the most part, I stayed OP and I definitely stayed in my calorie range for the day. I probably didn't need the 2nd cookie, but at least they were flax, oatmeal, raisin cookies
Old 03-02-2009, 10:31 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 225/223/150

Height: 5'5''

Hi-
Another freezing day here. Spring can't be too far away. I hope.
Old 03-02-2009, 11:11 PM   #12  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLoubug View Post
..... Stayed on Waikikee Beach. The pro-bowl was going on, so a lot of partying was happening.
Yep....that would be my son and his crew
Old 03-03-2009, 11:39 AM   #13  

Hello to everyone. I'm still waiting for the gym to open back up that's been under renovation. I miss being able to stretch my shoulder muscles. They tell me that they will open it back up, hopefully, by April 1. Las Vegas is always under renovations. They can't stand to let things get old.
Loved the story about Hawaii. I thought it was a great place too.
Sorry, Jay, about the fall. I'm glad you weren't seriously hurt.
Old 03-03-2009, 05:43 PM   #14  
Onward and Downward

Rain, rain, and more rain. A lot of our current snow cover has washed away and the news is full of flood warnings for lower lying areas. Oh well, tomorrow it is supposed to freeze up and turn the entire Province into a skating rink.

On the good news front . . . I'm working on my third OP eating day in a row.
Old 03-03-2009, 05:57 PM   #15  

Lori - I certainly HOPE so! This is getting really OLD!

Jada - I do a lot of shoulder and upper body work at home with hand weights, though soup cans and water bottles can work too

Linda - I think that the forecasters are right if you get what we did. Lots of ice around here - very treacherous trying to walk anywhere!

A good day here - busy and productive. It was -13F this morning - but the sun is shining and I'm with Lori in hoping that spring is coming soon!

I did 50 minutes of Wii Fit after work, so I am tired! I really enjoy using the Wii to work out. Though, I can't wait to walk outside again!

Have a great evening all!

Laurie

Last edited by CountingDown; 03-03-2009 at 05:57 PM.
Closed Thread