South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 03-03-2009, 05:27 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 201/See Ticker/152

Height: 5'8"

Default What exercise do you do?

Hello ladies. I am starting on phase 1, and I was just wondering what type of exercise do you do?

I used to jog, but it started to hurt my knees, so I'm just looking for some new ideas. I go for walks, but when my four-year-old is home, it's hard to do.

I also live remotely, so going to the gym is not really an option. What are some of your ideas?
Steen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 05:37 PM   #2  

S/C/G: Too much/Less/Just Right!

Height: 5'4"

I do Jazzercise. It's the only exercise I've ever stuck with -- been doing it 13 years! If you go to Jazzercise.com, then 'class finder', you can see if there is a class in your area.
Chelby29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 05:37 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 201/155/145

Height: 5'6"

I would say find a way to make walking work for you until you can start jogging. I lost all my weight (45 pounds) last summer walking and then running. Right now I belong to the Y and they have child care so I do the Technogym Wave machine and run and swim. I didn't jog or run at first when I was 185 pounds. I think I started jogging after I got down to 170. I did WW simultaneously with the exercise. I walked at first for an hour every day. My walking progressed to very, very brisk walking, and then eventually to jogging, and then to full out sprinting once in a while. I also play softball five games a week, so I am sure that helped as well. I say, just get the body moving. Good luck!
mamaspank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 06:45 PM   #4  
Vegan.whole.foodie.

S/C/G: hw252 csw220/???/160

Height: 5'7.5 ;)

I too have become a walker- do you have cable? Our cable company offers on demand(free) exercise tv shows... if you have any on demand channels or pay per view stuff its worth looking into- ours has a TON of free videos! Including Jillian's workouts right now!
rdw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 07:31 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 286.4/283.2/150

Height: 5'4"

I just started back exercising last week. I'm aiming to get in the routine of exercising three times a week and then gradually increase the length of the workouts as well as the frequency of them.

I'm currently using the 'Walk Away the Pounds' DVDs. Right now the one mile walk kicks my butt - gotta start somewhere! The one mile walk only takes 20 minutes from start to finish.

jenny
JennyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 07:59 PM   #6  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

I started with the 1 mile WATP tapes or 20 minute walks. Walking is still my primary form of cardio (@3.5 mph) though I bike a lot in the better weather, usually an hour a day. I also do yoga 2-3 times a week and use hand weights 2-3 times a week (the 30 minute WATP DVD is great for this).
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 09:02 PM   #7  
beachin'

S/C/G: 240/125/130

Height: 5'8

I walk and am getting back to running and cycling. I really love cycling.

I've been walking with both of my sons and then when DH gets home in the afternoon, putting our infant in the jogging stroller and jogging around the block.

I do do the dvd exercise programs, but I never seem to be able to stick with them. I always seem to find something to do around the house that I can talk myself into doing instead.
zeffryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 09:12 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 154/148.6/119

Height: 5'6"

I run three to four times a week (20 to 35 miles), lift weights four times a week, and bicycle once or twice a week.

The more I work out, the less hungry I feel, the happier I feel, the better I look.
AnAbsoluteDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 09:55 PM   #9  
Vegan.whole.foodie.

S/C/G: hw252 csw220/???/160

Height: 5'7.5 ;)

I just bought a pedometer- and I think that will motivate me to do more walking just in my everyday life!!!
rdw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 08:39 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 155/141/138

Height: 5'7"

When I started the SBD I knew I had a lot of habits to change - with my diet and exercise. We bought an elliptical over two years ago and it is great (I like that it is low impact as well). It was an investment up front, but I use it most days and the DH uses it occasionally . I love the convenience of being able to get up, put on workout clothes and head to the basement (no trudging through snow, wind, rain, etc to get to the gym).

We also got a Netflix subscription and I use it to get DVDs to watch while on the elliptical and to try out workout DVDs. Some are grreat, others get sent back the same day. The variety keeps me interested and motivated. For these I have a set of hand weights, a resistance band and a mat - no more specialized equipment.
amasam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 08:58 AM   #11  
Happily Married

S/C/G: 194/177/145

I walk, use biggest loser bootcamp dvd, turbojam dvds, aerobic striptease dvd, and programs on fittv regualry and i lift weights as well, I like to mix it up and not do the same dvd everyday.
Skinnybride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 09:43 AM   #12  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Steen, you really should check out the Walk Away The Pounds (WATP) DVDs--they're easy to understand and follow, but the workouts can get really intense.

As for jogging, I'd say that using an elliptical could be a really perfect way to continue "jogging" without hurting your knees. You could buy a used one--I use the one at the local gym, but understand that's not a possibility.

Just make sure you incorporate weight lifting/strength training in your routine. If you look around online you'll find tons of free resources to help you plan strength training routines at home using ordinary objects or your own weight to help you. Eventually you can invest in some weights or resistance bands, if you like.

I do elliptical most days, do strength training once a week, do yoga once or twice a week, and add other things in from time to time--I just finished a water aerobics class and am looking into taking Zumba. I've done Jazzercise in the past (and loved it) and also love going for bike rides when the weather is good (I can't wait for spring!).
beachgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 10:23 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 201/See Ticker/152

Height: 5'8"

I was looking at the WATP DVDs online last night because they were mentioned frequently. I think I'm going to order one and give it a try.

I like to walk on days when my kids are both in school, but I was looking for something to do when my son is home. It's hard to go out and power walk with a 4-year-old. Too big for the stroller, but too short to keep up.

I think I'll look for a used elliptical machine as well.

Thanks so much.
Steen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 11:42 AM   #14  
Super Duper Senior Member

S/C/G: 289/T/190

Height: 5' 7.5"

Honestly, I hate exercising. All I am doing is at least 30 minutes of high intensity Wii Fit right now. I love it!
jenne1017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 12:02 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 314/314/160

Height: 5'7"

Jenn - I loved the Wii Fit when we first got it but then I just got lazy. I am planning on doing it everyday after I get some more energy - which I think will be happening soon. I have noticed that every day I feel better and better.
ThoughtfulOne is offline   Reply With Quote