Old 03-02-2009, 04:27 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 209/174/155

Height: 5'6"

Default Frustrated with veggies!

I need help! I hate veggies. I can eat corn, potatos, a very little amount of carrots raw or cooked, and that is about it. I have tried a few things here and there for the last month but get so mad because I don't like the taste. I am couting calories so I get even more mad when I try something new and I don't like it and now I need to find something else in my calorie limit to eat so I am not hungry.

If there is anyone out there who use to be like me I would love your recipes that you started with to get over this. I keep finding lots of recipes but have not yet found one that appeals to me. ARG.
Phyxius79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 05:08 PM   #2  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

How do you feel about broth based soups??

You can throw in lots of good vegetables; cook it really well; and then puree the whole thing so you don't have to deal with chunks of vegetable.

How about salads?
meowee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 07:39 PM   #3  

Yes- a little more detail about what you have tried and what forms would help us help you. Many successful "losers" and "maintainers" swear by veggies. I see them as "free food". It may take awhile but you will get there and (bonus!) you will be not only fill but super healthy.
tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 07:55 PM   #4  

Sorry I wasn't more specific. With your questions I guess I do like a few more veggies then I thought. I like soups, although I usually eat the canned stuff. I am tring to eat more of them to compensate but I want to be able to add more to my normal supper plate with veggies. I also can eat some salads. My weakness with salads is I like cheese and croutons on them which is not so good for me. I am not big on dressings though. I eat lettuce in my salads and mostly that is it with the cheese and croutons. I was thinking about adding some chicken to one and see if I like that. I have never tried spinach and I am kind of afraid of it.

I guess what I would like a little help with is when it comes to veggies like beans, peas, not sure if I can handle brocolli or cauliflower yet, or other veggies how have other veggie haters overcome their fear and dislike? Is their some recipes that help? Do past veggie haters have any new favorite recipes? Are their any other tips you can give me to help me just dig in? I am afraid and feel like I am fighting myself. I know it is good for me but I just hate the way they taste.

Hope this helps answer your questions regarding my questions. Thank you everyone in advance for your help. The 3FC community has really been a big help.
Old 03-02-2009, 11:24 PM   #5  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

If you like veggies prepared in rather unhealthy ways, once strategy is to make them in ways you can eat them, and gradually "healthify" the recipes.

For example, I love roasted vegetables, and I don't mind them roasted with little or no oil. I toss fresh veggies in a ziploc bag or tupperware container with just enough oil to dampen the veggies so that the seasonings will stick. Then I add seasonings (ranch dressing powder is my favorite) and shake again, pour into a pan and bake at 400 to 450 until the veggies are tender and the edges are dark brown.

I was able to convert hubby to some veggies by adding more oil to the recipe, to the point the veggies were realy more "oven fried," and then I kept reducing the oil every time I made them. He's not quite to the point I am, so if we're going to share veggies, I either make separate pans, or have to budget my fat exchange/calories. When I decided to roast brussel sprouts (the one veggie I have hated most of my life), I did use more oil than my usual recipe, and used the same trick on myself (and it worked, now I don't use any more oil for brussels sprouts than any other veggie).

There are some good "veggie hater" tips online (just google). Most of the tips are for kids, but many of them apply (even the "hiding" tips - you will of course know when you've hidden veggies in recipes, but disguising taste and texture is a good tip whether you know it's being done or not).

Another great idea is including veggies in dishes you already like (say meatloaf). And not necessarily "hidden," at least not very well.

There are several traditional dishes that mix other veggies into mashed potatoes (In Ireland, champ and colcannon, for example). Onions, greens (cabbage, spinach, kale), turnips, carrots, cauliflower, beets, squash... all sorts of veggies can be mixed into mashed potatoes. You can saute the veggies in a bit of butter, cooking spray, broth or water and stir them into the mashed potatoes. Or you can boil them with the potatoes (or seperately) and then mash together.

Raw veggies and dip, is really good. Cooked veggies too - for example you can cook fresh green beans just until tender crisp and serve them aside raw veggies and dip.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 01:04 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 225/169/125

Height: 5'7

I too am a veggie hater- I don't like the texure so what I do is put any and all veggies in my chopper. I chop them down to bits then mix them into things. Tomato sauce with chopped veggies, chicken and shredded cheese baked in the oven is yummy
photoRuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 02:06 PM   #7  

Thank you everyone!!! I googled veggie hater and found some good tips! Next stop grocery store! I figure if I can quit smoking, then start losing weight, I better be able to get past this!!!
Old 03-17-2009, 08:13 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 193/190-ish/140

Height: 5'7"

What works for me, which is sort of what kaplods was saying but a bit different, is to prepare a food I'm iffy about (let's say radishes) with a food I really like (say, chicken.) I put the chicken and the radishes on the fork at the same time. Somehow I can focus on the flavor I really like and I slowly get used to the taste of the other. Sometimes I even get to the point where I can eat the "bad" food on its own.
Violet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 04:37 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 198/155/140

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyxius79 View Post
Sorry I wasn't more specific. With your questions I guess I do like a few more veggies then I thought. I like soups, although I usually eat the canned stuff. I am tring to eat more of them to compensate but I want to be able to add more to my normal supper plate with veggies. I also can eat some salads. My weakness with salads is I like cheese and croutons on them which is not so good for me. I am not big on dressings though. I eat lettuce in my salads and mostly that is it with the cheese and croutons. I was thinking about adding some chicken to one and see if I like that. I have never tried spinach and I am kind of afraid of it.
I recommend trying the baby spinach and the spring greens mix. you can add a handful or 2 to your regular salads and probably won't even notice the taste.

I like croutons and cheese on my salads too. I cut back on how many croutons I put on (some croutons are only 10 cubes a serving! but I double it and count the calories) same with the cheese, use low fat and use 1/4 cup or whatever the serving is, eventually you'll get used to less being on the salad.
ringmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 04:04 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 159/159/124

Height: 5.6"

I do understand hw u feel. I wz a pure non vegetarian bef I switched coz my folks are into hotel/restaurant business and I wz into non veg three times a day x 7 days a week! But I quit abt 15 yrs bk and havent looked back since and find veggies not so bad after all

What I did wz to find things I like most and to make them as I wud preapare for any NG dish exception being that I add the veggies at the last as agaisnt adding them in the begining.

I love my sauteed veggies with mushroom sauce.
Veggies you can tolerate sautee them an dadd them to the sauce.
Mushroom Sauce

4 ounces fresh mushrooms
1/2 teaspoon salt
dash of white pepper
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons flour
1 cup milk or milk and cream
salt
1 tablespoon sherry
Clean mushrooms thoroughly and cut a thin slice from the stem end. Slice or halve lengthwise. Place mushrooms in a saucepan, add butter and seasonings and cook uncovered over low heat for about 10 minutes, until any liquid is absorbed and mushrooms are golden.
Mix flour and milk together well in a bowl Add the mixture gradually, stirring constantly. Simmer 10 minutes until sauce thickens, stirring occasionally. Season, then add sherry.

You can also buy it.

cheers!
gt2doit is offline   Reply With Quote