South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 03-02-2009, 05:03 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 154/148.6/119

Height: 5'6"

Default Good Seasons and Vinegar

Just looked at the label of my Good Seasons Italian dressing (the kind you make yourself). It says that there is less than 1 gram of sugar in a 2 Tablespoon serving.

I have two different kinds of balsamic vinegar and THAT says that a 1 Tablespoon serving has 2 grams of sugar.

What do I do with this? My SB recipe book uses balsamic vinegar (I think).

Even if I went with just oil and vinegar, I'd be getting more sugar in the vinegar than I think I'm supposed to.

I don't have bottled dressing from a store and I'm knee-deep in snow so I am not going out there.

I do have fresh lemons and I can squeeze that over my salad, unless, of course, lemon is a fruit.

I'm on Day 1 of Phase 1 and thought I had done my homework, but obviously not.

Thanks for the help!
AnAbsoluteDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 05:15 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 144/131/128

Height: 5' 4"

I can't help you on that part (well, maybe, but I'm not the expert), but couldn't help but notice your marathons listed. Do you do the marathons?

I was starting to run more last summer (my mileage went down this winter cuz it's SO COLD!!!), and did a lot of reading, in the hopes to do a half marathon. I think you're going to have a really hard time not having some of those simple carbs available to you if you're doing running for that long of a period of time.

If you want to use Phase I to get rid of your cravings, then the less sugar the better. You may also find less energy during that time, and may not be able to train as well. SBD is also great for getting yourself off processed products, although if you run a lot, you probably don't eat much of that anyways.

Good luck!!
TwynnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 05:20 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 154/148.6/119

Hi Twynn,

Yeah.... I do run marathons, halves, 10K races, 5K races, whatever. Husband and I are covering the fifty states and doing a race in each state.

I'll wait and see if someone can help me out with my salad dressing dilemma. I may have to eat this plain.
AnAbsoluteDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 06:01 PM   #4  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Use regular white vinegar or lemon juice - a small amount won't hurt you. I'm not familiar with dressing mixes - is it a powder? If so, check the ingredients. There may be cornstarch or sugar alcohols in it. Why not just a simple oil and vinegar dressing? I never buy bottled dressings or mixes and usually go with my own......oil, vinegar, Dijon mustard, garlic, etc.
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 06:05 PM   #5  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

I am not a beacher so I am no help. I regularly use the Good Seasons and usually use red wine vinegar in it--with a smidge and I do mean smidge of oil.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 12:00 AM   #6  
Maintenance May 2011

S/C/G: 312/149/150

I have not read anywhere in the SBD books or on the SBD website that one needs to count sugar grams in PH1. Being aware of them is good but the focus is really on eating more whole foods and having good carbs & fats.

As I understand it, the purpose of the PH1 restrictions on fruits & starches is to help purge your body of all the junk and high carbs/sugars in the typical diet. If your eating style before the SBD was not heavy on processed foods, loads of carbs and sugary items then the transition to PH2 should be fairly easy. If you were used to eating a lot of these items then PH1 is the quick way to get your body accustomed to eating properly.

As to your salad dressing quandary, I would use dressings that are diet friendly meaning low in fats and carbs (sugars). I grew up with Good Seasons Italian and just love it. It's one of the few packaged products I use. I make it with red wine vinegar and put water about halfway to the -O- line thereby using less oil. The <1g of sugar is very little. I would not worry about the 2g of sugar in the balsamic vinegar either. Those minuscule amounts combined with the sugars found in dairy & veggies still add up to very low sugars. JMO...YMMV

Congrats on getting thru day 1!
mizski is offline   Reply With Quote