Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-02-2009, 11:59 AM   #1  

Height: 5'3"

Default 3 scales, all saying different things... which one to choose?

We currently have three different ways we can weight ourselves in our house. 1 is the WiiFit, which always weighs me the highest. 2 is a scale in our downstairs bathroom which says I haven't budged in 4 weeks. 3 is a scale upstairs (that is on a piece of wood on top of carpet) that says I actually have lost weight.

Of course I want to take the word of the one that gives me the lowest number, but I know that if one is telling me that I haven't lost any, that's probably the right one.

I just don't get it. After the last time I posted about this stall I started getting more active, stopped eating too little, and cut my soda consumption down by more than half. Why am I doomed to be stuck at this weight? Four weeks is too long to not see any change.
beautybooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 12:04 PM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Basically you have to choose a scale and stick with it. The number on the scale doesn't matter but the downward trend does. I would choose though a scale that is on a hard surface. Trying to weigh yourself with 3 different methods is just confusing.

How many calories are you eating? Have you taken measurements to see any change in the past 4 weeks?
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 12:11 PM   #3  

I don't have a tape measure so I haven't been able to do measurements.

Maybe I am not calculating how many calories I need correctly. I use the daily plate and I had my activity level set to sedentary because when I am not working I mostly just sit in front of the computer, do a little house work, and go to the store. Thinking back, this isn't really what they call sedentary. On the days I do work I am quite active, Ia m a photographer, so each family I photograph I am walking to and from the waiting area to retreive them, arranging the stools and props for them for the shoot, and then walking around and climbing a small ladder while I am actually taking their pictures. On top of this, it's a moving studio, it is all stored in a van. So, about twice a week I am hauling all of this equipment in and out of the building and setting it all up and taking it down.

Last week broke down like this:
Sunday: Did the 30day shred DVD (jillian michaels workout)
Monday: Did the 30day shred DVD (jilian michals workout)
Tuesday: Set up the studio and had about an 8 hour photography shift
Wednesday: Just the photography shift
Thursday: Nothing
Friday: Just the photography shift
Saturday: Tore down the studio and photography shift
Sunday: Nothing

What kind of activity level should this be? I know it would affect my calorie intake, so maybe I am STILL eating too little.
Old 03-02-2009, 02:44 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 211/193/155

You can take measurements without a tape measure. Just get a piece of string (or twine, or whatever you have lying around) for each measurement you want to take. Measure and tie a knot to mark the spot. If two of your measurements are very similar (hips and chest often are), make sure you mark which string is which. It's a cheap way of keeping track, avoids putting actual numbers on your measurements and gives you a very tangible way of tracking your weight loss.
Areia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 02:53 PM   #5  
Just Me

A tape measure also costs 99 cents at walmart and its a good investment.

I didn't see how many calories you are eating either? Do you know that approximately?

As for the work you do, it may be physically demanding but its also something I imagine you have been doing for a while so its not something you can count as 'extra' activity. I would try to add some more exercise in there but also calories are the biggest factor in weight loss.
Old 03-02-2009, 03:20 PM   #6  

I will pick one up the next chance I get.

As far as work goes, I was actually practically laid off for about 4 months and am now just getting back to it.

The Daily Plate tells me for a sedentary lifestyle at my height and weight I should be eating about 2000 calories. I was eating about 1400 on average but after coming here others told me I should stick closer to what TDP said so I have been.
Old 03-02-2009, 03:40 PM   #7  
Just Me

I would agree that 2000 calories should be about right. I would wait a week or 2 and see what happens.
Old 03-02-2009, 04:46 PM   #8  

S/C/G: S 225 / C 192 / G 140

Height: 5'8"

Hi BeautyBooty,

Oh I know what you're talking about. (I posted something similar maybe a month ago) It seems all of my scales will say one weight, then I jump off and jump on 2 seconds later and it changes. I also have 3 scales, and they all have different weights. I use the wii fit though because it is more consistent and realize that it weighs me about 3 lbs heavier that most other scales. So I just take that into account but use the downward trend on that one to keep track of progress.

The other manual scales tend to change each time you get on it, but always go with the lowest number or take the Wii fit and subtract a few lbs It'll keep you motivated and encouraged to keep going. Besides, the lowest number is always right, anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beautybooty View Post
We currently have three different ways we can weight ourselves in our house. 1 is the WiiFit, which always weighs me the highest. 2 is a scale in our downstairs bathroom which says I haven't budged in 4 weeks. 3 is a scale upstairs (that is on a piece of wood on top of carpet) that says I actually have lost weight.

Of course I want to take the word of the one that gives me the lowest number, but I know that if one is telling me that I haven't lost any, that's probably the right one.

I just don't get it. After the last time I posted about this stall I started getting more active, stopped eating too little, and cut my soda consumption down by more than half. Why am I doomed to be stuck at this weight? Four weeks is too long to not see any change.
healthierme78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 06:11 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 220/204/190

Height: 5'4

The scale has always been my biggest enemy. Not because of the number, but because I never know how accurate it has been. I've goine through so many its pathetic.

You need to pick one and stick with it. If both the wiifit and one on carpet are saying your losing, just that its a different number. I would say the other one (I forgot where you said that was) is not working. But I would not use one that was on carpeting. So I would say go with the wiifit. But thats just my opinion.

Last edited by x0me880x; 03-02-2009 at 06:12 PM.
x0me880x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 01:23 AM   #10  
gym rat from Tokyo

I've read somewhere before that the WiiFit is actually one of the most accurate 'scales' you can get out there. I forget the source of where I read that from, but you might want to consider it
my3monthchallenge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 03:05 AM   #11  
Peace. Love. Balance

S/C/G: 199/128/125 (new goal of 115)

Height: 5'3

Hi there,

I had a similar problem, I decided to place a five pound free weight on my scale to make sure it was accurate. You could try that or if you don't have a free weight laying around at home then place a bag of flour/sugar etc... on your scale.

Hope this helps and you get to the root of your problem. I do highly recommend (as some others advised) investing in a tape measure and taking measurements monthly or every couple of weeks.

Last edited by bananapancakes; 03-03-2009 at 03:05 AM. Reason: Typo
bananapancakes is offline   Reply With Quote