Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Closed Thread

Old 02-28-2009, 09:30 PM   #1  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

Thumbs up PHYSICAL CHALLENGES ~ March's Thread

WELCOME EVERYONE ~ Please join us in our thread: to give support and encouragement; to share ideas, and/or just chat with one another about everyday issues ...

This special thread is for anyone with any kind of physical obstacle and/or challenge like SB, CP, MS, MD, PK, Lupus, Osteo, Arthritis, Rheumatism, or any other condition (s), whether genetic or acquired (like injuries), that causes some physical limitations and/or difficulties.

HAPPY MARCH EVERYONE

ROSEBUD

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 02-28-2009 at 11:11 PM.
Old 02-28-2009, 11:16 PM   #2  
Rosebud

HI LADIES ~ welcome to the new MARCH thread -- just thought I'd bump this back up to the top of the page again, so MEOWEE would see it better.

Hope you all are having a SUPER SATURDAY NIGHT ... I'm off to put my feet up and do some puzzles and reading. The temps are falling fast out there again; guess it's down to the low - 20's Celcius again tonight. Gotta bundle up good in lots of blankets and comforters!

Take good care ROSEBUD
Old 03-01-2009, 12:03 AM   #3  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

Thanks for bumping this up, because I'm having a moment...

I'm on a trip with my older son this week, shopping for universities. We're in Seattle. I was so looking forward to it, because we're staying in downtown Seattle and it's a terrible area of town to drive through, but perfect for navigating on foot...and that's what I really, really wanted to do today and tomorrow.

But today, on our way out of the Space Needle (where I had an amazing brunch!), I twisted my bum knee (again) and had to limp back a quarter mile to the hotel. I've got ice on it, and took some Advil, but I know this is going to give me problems for the next week. I'll have difficulty in bathrooms, getting out of chairs, even stepping off a curb (which is how this happened). This is an issue I seem to encounter whenever I walk outside with uneven ground.

So, there's my boo-hoo moment. The pain will subside in a week, and I'll be back on the treadmill again, back to my quadracep strength exercises. But I really wanted to make this trip a fitness success!

Georgia

My blog: http://half-the-woman.blogspot.com/
Old 03-01-2009, 12:56 PM   #4  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Hi there . . . so far the weather is not very lion-like . . . but it's not exactly nice either.
Old 03-01-2009, 04:00 PM   #5  
M.S. + living balance

S/C/G: 325/200's/199

Height: 5'10"

WOO HOO MARCH! only 10 more weeks till the SNOW IS GONE!!!
Old 03-01-2009, 05:27 PM   #6  
Rosebud

HIYA VAL ~ nice to see ya pop by; can't wait til the snow goes away and we can go to our lot again. We have sun today, but it's really cold right now.

GEORGIA ~ we certainly know how that feels here; I have a bad knee too, but it's getting better than it was. I read some of your blog earlier today; thanks for sharing your journey with us. Come on back and visit us when you can; we'd really love to hear from you now and then!

Be back after; gotta go put dinner on ...

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 03-01-2009 at 05:31 PM.
Old 03-01-2009, 09:01 PM   #7  
Rosebud

HI, I'm back again ~ we woke up to sun today; it was on and off, but still very cold out there. We had some more female grosbeaks visit our feeders today, plus dozens of redpole finches, some starlings, and another woodpecker. As each day goes by, more and more show up, so I guess we will use up more of that feed DH bought me as a gift, in the month of MARCH; and they are starting to look very healthy again too. DH says they are starting to look like little round golf balls!

Anyways, we just stayed home and hybernated today; had a guest drop by for a while, then we had BBQ spit chicken for dinner with long green beans and whole baby carrots and a new baby potato each, and it was really nice. Have been doing pretty good staying OP; trying to do better this month as well with watching my snacks, trying to make them healthier.

DH's TV went on the fritz on him today; so he wants to buy a new one. I told him to just use mine for now until a good sale comes up, as he watches TV more than me: just his videos and dvds really though.

I hope all you ladies are having a SERENE SUNDAY with lots of rest and relaxation too. It's time for me to go make my big mug of tea and put my feet up for awhile; guess I'll do my puzzles and read for awhile, if I can stay awake. Lately, I have been falling asleep and not getting to finish much of anything. Take good care ladies ... ROSEBUD
Old 03-02-2009, 05:29 AM   #8  
MSer living healthy

S/C/G: 300/176/170

Height: 5ft 8in

Hi Ladies

It is much brighter today and the sun has made an appearance. Our lounge is nice and warm as the sun keeps beaming through the window in there. Of course Rizzie has taken the prime spot on the floor where the sun rays are hitting the carpet and warming them up but now shining on his fur. Not that I can't say I don't blame him to find the warmest spot.

Yesterday I spent the day at my sisters not sure whom was most tired when we arrived home Rizzie or me. We had a beautiful lunch that her DH cooked of roast pork with vegetables. we then all had a play on the wii fit game and had a laugh. They were all laughing at me as it calculated my age as 75 years after the first test. The worse thing it was a balance one and I have poor balance. I had to stand on one leg well I managed to achieve that for the grand total of 3 seconds We had a really fun time playing on that between us. Our nieces loved having the dog with them and were continually taking him for little walks. Rizzie I think thought he'd died and gone to heaven with so much attention. Our nieces were so pleased to be able to take him for a walk and was as proud as punch. I think they would have slept well last night as well after all that walking they add done.

VALDINE nice to have you drop by. still 10 weeks of the snow. Gosh I did not realise it hung around so long. The winter for you must seem never ending.

GEORGIA to 3fc and to this thread. Sorry to hear that you have injured your knee, sound like your doing the right things to get it better again. It must always be a possibility with the snow you experience.

ROSEBUD Nice to see that your feeder for the birds is being regularly used now by all the different species of bird. I must admit I do not know the bird the grosbeak so I have looked it up. They look pretty little birds what sort of grosbeak do you have, black headed , ultramarine , pine or evening grosbeak? It would be nice to have such birds visit our gardens but we get nothing as pretty as those. Ours consist of sparrows, starlings and crows. If we are lucky we get the rare glimpse of the robin, blue tit and chaffinch. So most of the birds we see on a regular basis are not very brightly coloured but consist mainly of black and brown plumage.

Well done staying more on plan this month and watching your snacks. The more of those you can string together I am sure you will see positive results. Needless to say it must have a positive effect on our health as well fuelling it with healthier foods rather than sugar, fat filled ones.

Great idea to look out for a TV in the sales or a good bargain. It is a great way to save a lot of $. If you buy things at full price they seem to be so dear. I imagine with the recession you will see more and more bargains as shops try to entice you though the door.

Right time to go and tackle the breakfast pots I have been putting off for the last hour. I do not know why as there is is only a few pieces it is not like I have loads to do. Take care everyone and hope you had a wonderful weekend.

purpleorc
Old 03-02-2009, 08:54 AM   #9  
Onward and Downward

Good Morning . . .

Guess our March Lion showed up yesterday after all -- things are definitely looking all white and fresh out there this morning -- a little too white and fresh for my liking. Still got a bunch of weather warnings posted so I imagine more fun stuff will be falling from the sky again today. And, of course, the schools are closed again.

At least the eating was OP yesterday so that's a good start for the month. Hopefully I'll make it two good days in a row today. I'm definitely tired of this "maintenance" regimen I seem to have been practicing so far this year.

Other than that, guess I'll stay in and knit some socks (but on regular needles). Have a good day, all . . .
Old 03-02-2009, 08:57 AM   #10  
wishin' for sun!

S/C/G: 260/see slider/135

Height: 5'1"

Gosh, ladies, when I don't much time to spend on the computer, I sure get behind.

Purple-we still have the cold temps, but some warming mentioned for later in the week. Most of our snow is gone now, just big piles remaining from the plows, but March is traditionally our snowiest month, so we'll see what happens, I guess. I grew up further south in southern Indiana and when they're getting the March and April showers, up here they're snow showers I've lived in these northern areas for almost 20 years now, but will never get used to these looooong winters! Glad you enjoyed your visit with your sister! I, too, have a sister who I only get to see once or twice a year, but we "visit" a lot on the phone

Georgia- glad you found us! Sorry about your knee. I know what you're going through and it sure does take time for the knee to heal. Last time I twisted mine, I decided to go to the dr and he injected cortisone-it helped a lot! Reduced the swelling so I could walk and do more activities again.

Val- I know what you mean about the snow-just when ours starts to melt away, we get another snowstorm to cover everything up again!

Meowee-Maybe this March is just a baby lion for you and will go out like a baby lamb without much turmoil! Ours has been definitely lamb-like, so it's like waiting for the next shoe to drop, when will the lion come calling....

Rosebud-your birdies sound so nice! I have a batch making noise in the bush outside my window now, but not sure what they are,probably just sparrows. for staying on plan and eating better snacks! It really does make such a difference in how we feel, doesn't it? Keep up the great work! How's Numpster doing?

Well, not much going on here, just the usual, but I suppose it's time to get moving Hope you all have a great day!
Old 03-02-2009, 11:47 AM   #11  
MSer living healthy

S/C/G: 300/176/170

Height: 5ft 8in

Hi Ladies

Back like the proverbial bad penny. I saw that there had been two post since I put my entry in this morning. Tomorrow it is highly unlikely I'll get time to post as it is my day for my oxygen therapy. I have been a busy been making a macaroni cheese for my DH for tomorrow. I can't remember the last time I made that. I do not like it as I (A) I do not like white sauces and (B) I am not very fond of cheese. So I am having pasta in a tomato and herb sauce. So all I have to do for preparation for tomorrow is make sandwiches to take to have over the lunch time at the centre. I will do that after I have finished on here.

MEOWEE The weather is sounding pretty horrid where you are at the minute. Does the weather effect the schools much during the winter?

Good for you staying on plan. I have been a little naughty today and yesterday. So tomorrow I have to needle down and get back to my plan. You and me both are rowing along in the same maintenance boat and like you I want to be off this boat and on the one that losing weight boat.

That is one thing that I have never attempted knitting socks as they are normally done to my knowledge on 4 needles. I am bad enough with two needles let alone letting me loose with 4 needles

RONNI Thanks for filling me in on how the weather pattern is in your part of the world. This to me is so alien but so interesting to learn about. That is one of the joys for me learning of different cultures, routines, names and things that are different from my own way of life here in the UK. I have learned so much especially from Rosebud and the differences not to mention the things that are the same.

I am fortunate that I only live about 28 miles away from my sister so am able to see her regularly. I normally see her once a fortnight when I visit my mum and dad. Then times like this weekend when we go for a meal or just drop by after visiting my parents. That is the trouble when you live many miles apart things like the phone, mobiles (cell phones I think they are known as) and the INTERNET become very important. This has taken over from the hand written letters to family and friends. This forms of communication help make the miles seem less. My sister and I have always been close. Even when she was nursing down south of our country. I would visit as often as I could . Though it was difficult getting a day that we both had off together as I was a nurse also. I can not imagine what it would be like not going to see her regularly. My sister and not forgetting my DH helped me cope and come to terms with my MS. The MS had an impact on my career and I was no longer able to nurse which I was devastated about. So they both helped me come to terms with it. I loved still hearing about her stories of clients she's nursed it kind of helped the blow for me no longer being able to do it.

Though unfortunately nearly 3 years ago she was involved in a car accident and the other driver was over the legal limit for alcohol. As a result of this she has been unable to work as it has damaged her bones in the spine. It is looking like she will have to have an operation which is not guaranteed will solve the problem. Even then she will not be pain free but hopefully it will make the pain more manageable. I know she misses nursing as much as I do. That is all the work either of us have done and my sister began at the age of 16 and I was 19. I went to college to get the qualifications to do my nurse training to become a registered nurse. My sister is a nurse whom title is called nursing assistant. They help the qualified nurses and in my opinion even before my sister started this work they were an invaluable member of the team and I could not do my work without them. So I never though myself as better than them and to me everyone was my equal. we all had our roles in the ward and neither of us to do our job without the other. I liked all of us to take a break together on the ward for a cup of tea and that way it aids a great team. Of course this break together was not alway possible if someone was on suicide watch. (watched 24 hours a day by a nurse) but wherever possible we did try. Even doctors and domestics (cleaning staff of the ward) all sat together. Who ever was ready first at 10.15am they would make the drinks for all. Now that included doctors making the drinks or it could be me. Everyone mucked in.

Well must get cracking on with making sandwiches for tomorrow to take with us to the MS centre. Not so good in the morning so not a great idea to leave that task till the morning to complete. Then I will make a cuppa to have my medication for the 5pm dose. Take care ladies and hello to NUMPSTER.

purpleorc

Last edited by purpleorc; 03-02-2009 at 11:48 AM.
Old 03-02-2009, 01:37 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi Chicks! Sorry to be away so long. We had a wonderful weekend. My son and his family came. We celebrated my GS's 2nd bday and it was wonderful. We saw lots of family and friends. It took my mind off the reality of DH looking for a new job. But, he's a very positive person and I know he'll look for one like it's his new job.

I am going to try and get myself off of some of my meds. I don't know if it will work. I take Celebrex 200mg daily and a muscle relaxant almost daily, I am on day two of being off of them. I don't feel too horrible - but, I can tell the difference. I will try to make up the difference using ice and heat. We'll see how it goes. If I combine it with stretches and strengthening exercises - I am hoping I won't need all the drugs.

Purple - I hope all goes well with your oxygen therapy. I am so glad you get to keep in contact with your sister. I feel the same way. So much of my family is very far away. I think that every day I am grateful for cell phones and email!

Ronnie....Hi! HOpe you are having a great day.

Justwanna - we used to see woodpeckers at our old house in Michigan. I love them. So. so pretty. Enjoy!

geoblewiss - sorry to hear about your knee. That's rough. You take the best care of you can. Looking for colleges can be fun, but, stressful.

Hi Valpal -- snow is gone from me - but, it's mighty cold.!

Welcome Georgia - so glad you found us. Take care of that knee.

Meowee - glad to hear about the better weather and an OP day. Yippee!

Tonight for supper - grilled chicken, salad, corn

Have a GREAT day!

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 03-02-2009 at 01:40 PM.
Old 03-02-2009, 08:06 PM   #13  
Rosebud

HI LADIES ~ well, we were very blessed with a full day of sunshine, but the temps were very cold again. They are predicting that the temps will warm up more and more as the week goes along, so we're looking forward to that.

Anyways, spend some time doing book-type stuff and sorting some boxes that just needed tidying up (filing our bills for 2008 and such); and put them away in boxes for storage: gee, that can take a whole afternoon. DH went to town to buy a tool, but they gave him the wrong one, so he had to go right back and return it. Oh well, we'll just have to keep looking til we find the right one for the job.

BEVERLYJOY ~ that will be nice to be able to get off the meds; hope your foot is feeling better real soon. Are you able to walk around a little bit better right now?

PURPLE ~ we have lots of PINE GROSBEAKS here (those are the ones that have come here so far), and the males are bright red and the females are grey with green on their heads. At our last place, we also got the EVENING GROSBEAKS and boy, were they colorful: the males are a bright yellow and the females are a lime green, and they are all so pretty! All of them have black and white stripes on their wings and black beaks too. They sing and spat with each other and almost sound like a 'voice box' trying to scare other birds away from the feeders, but the finches just jump around a bit.

PICS BELOW: I'm gonna try and post some pics of the birds we got in the other place -- see bottom of post. From left to right ~ Here is a female Pine Grosbeak on DH's shovel, a male Pine Grosbeak, a Chickadee, and a GreyJay or Whiskey Jack, as they are called up here, and (correction) a female Junco in flight (she looks like an Angel to me). Female Junco's are brown and the males are gray; that's why I kept getting them mixed up with the nuthatches and wrens.

The EVENING grosbeaks are harder to catch as they are more nervous and won't come to the house, keeping their distance, but the PINE Grosbeaks will come right to your house, if you put food near by. Sometime, I hope to get a camera with a bigger zoom -- if you ever buy a digital camera, get one with a larger zoom so you can take pics further away. NUMPSTER has one with a 12-zoom; but mine only has a 3-zoom. Of course, the higher the zoom, the more expensive they are, but you can get 4-zoom, 6-zoom, 10-zoom, 12-zoom and higher as well.

HI RONNI ~ we get Sparrows in the summertime, along with Robins, Gold Finches, Bluebirds, Swallows, Starlings, Juncos, Wrens, Blackbirds & Grackles, Sandpipers, beautiful Mourning Doves and White Turtle Doves, plus pheasants and partridges. Oh, and also eagles, hawks, pigeons, Loons, Cranes, ducks, seagulls, and GIANT Ravens (and I am not exaggerating about this). That's what I can remember for now ...

In the winter, we get Pine and Evening Grosbeaks, Chickadees, Red-pole or Red-cap Finches, Starlings, Snow Buntings or Snowbirds, Woodpeckers, Juncos, Whiskey-Jacks which are Gray Jays, and Blue Jays; plus brown Owls and Snow Owls, which are awesome.

NUMPSTER is keeping pretty busy lately; was talking to her recently and she says that she has lost 16 lbs since we last saw her. She was having problems with high blood sugar levels, so she had to start eating a bit more regular and funny thing is, then she started losing weight. I think her body was producing too much insulin to make up for her one meal a day; her doctor pressed her to eat something, even just toast in the daytime. It's a balance issue, since she has severe digestive problems which runs in our family.

MEOWEE ~ good for you sticking to plan; I would like to see things go downwards too, but I have to be more diligent I think. March is usually a cold month for us too; they are expecting a light snow at the end of the week, but maybe it won't be too bad though.

The rest of the day, I just some light chores and we had lean banger & beans for dinner with coleslaw. Take good care ladies, hope you have a TERRIFIC TUESDAY!!! ROSEBUD

female grosbeak #2d.JPGbest shot #2w.JPGmy chickadee #5b.JPGwhiskey jack #11w.JPGangel wren #2w.JPG

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 03-03-2009 at 09:09 PM.
Old 03-03-2009, 05:48 PM   #14  
Onward and Downward

So nice to see birds -- even if only in your gorgeous pictures. That's a lie -- we always have our crows and our seagulls -- but you know what I mean.

Did nothing but rain all day today. Luckily I'm on pretty high ground because there is quite a bit of local flooding around the area tonight and some homes are being evacuated just to be safe. Supposed to freeze up overnight so the whole Province willo probably be a skating rink tomorrow.

On the good news front -- three days in a row of OP eating.
Old 03-03-2009, 10:25 PM   #15  
Rosebud

HI FOLKS ~ we had a lovely sunny day today and warmer temps too; I think some of the snow went down because we can now see part of the neighbour roof just over the snow a bit. I took some more pictures today and spent the afternoon doing BIRD research on the Net. I finally found out what kind of bird it is that looks like an Angel in Flight: it is the Female Junco, which are brown; hence the confusion and mixing them up with other birds. There were some here today under our fur tree and on our big feeder today; and I managed to get a few picks of her too.

HI MEOWEE ~ I'm glad you like the pics; I have many more, so I will show some now and then for fun. Congrats on having 3 days of eating on plan; I am doing much better this month too!

We had fish and baked homefries (I had five pieces only), sliced tomatoes, and shredded coleslaw for dinner tonight and I had some good snacks too. It's time for me to go and put my feet up and do a puzzle or two. Hope you all have a WONDERFUL WEDNESDAY!!! Take good care ladies ... ROSEBUD
Closed Thread