Old 03-02-2009, 11:30 AM   #1  
Hanging in the Heartland

S/C/G: 470/220/170

Height: 5"8"

Thumbs up Weight Loss Champions

I have lost weight before and then gained it back (80 and 50 lbs respectively). I am sure most all of you can relate. So this time I have been trying to develop the same habits as the folks listed in the National Weight Loss Registry. On average these folks have been maintaining their weight loss (range of weight lost is 30-300 lbs) for 5.5 years!!!!! WOW I like those numbers.

What do they do?

90% exercise 1 hour per day

75% weigh themselves at least once a week

62% watch fewer then 10 hours of TV a week

and a majority eat breakfast everyday (didn't write down the number as it is the one thing I already do)

I really don't want to do that yoyo thing and figure this is my best chance at success. I have bought a scale and have started weighing myself once a week. The others I am working on making into habits over time. What do people think? Have you already incorporated any of these habits into your life?

It all seems doable but daunting. Encouragement appreciated

Denise
activeadventurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 11:39 AM   #2  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I do each and every one of those things. I didn't always do them. But now they are second nature to me and are all part of the things that I do as part of a healthy lifestyle.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 11:43 AM   #3  
Hooping my Life Away

S/C/G: 298/218.1/170

Height: 5'8"

Thin for Life and the Step Diet uses those strategies from the NWLR to form the book if you want to see any more tips.
Daimere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 12:06 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 289/278.8/155

Height: 5'7"

I know that my lack of habits not only caused me to gain back the 100lbs I lost, but also comes into play whenever I go off plan, it's like the habit part of me is not strong enough to stop the stupid part of me that wants to eat anything and everything...

Good points here, I need to really develop them into my life.....
Scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 01:25 PM   #5  
poco a poco

S/C/G: 246/166.5/158

Height: 5'5"

Everything but the TV thing. Another reason to give the tube a rest, maybe I will try that next.
Nada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 01:29 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 332/270/160

Height: 5"7'

I weigh at least once a week, watch less than 10 hours of tv a week and eat breakfast everyday. I'm working on the exercising everyday. Tomorrow I start at our community gym doing weights and have been walking everyday. I do read a lot though which is my substitute for tv most nights.
SnowboundChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 01:32 PM   #7  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I don't exercise an hour per day but I certainly do the rest.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 01:44 AM   #8  
Hanging in the Heartland

S/C/G: 470/220/170

Height: 5"8"

Thanks for those who wrote to let me know it is possible and I am not the only one.

I started an exercise program today. I am tracking it on my calendar as well as keeping track of how much time I spend watching TV. The goal is 30 minutes of exercise twice a day. I'll think about the TV after that is a habit.

Confessorsuian - Congratulations on the gym. Exercise is the hardest part for me.

Scarlet - I am working on those habits too. Thanks
activeadventurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 08:03 AM   #9  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I just want to mention that yes, those are very good habits to incorporate into your life. But none of them will "work" (make us lose weight) unless we reduce our caloric intake and create a calorie deficit.

Well, duh.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 09:45 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 280/256/234

Height: 5ft 2inches

I am working towards a healthy lifestyle. I like the opportunity to focus on adding good habits. I find that if I replace thought of unhealthy treats with how I will work in 5-7 fruits and veggies my mind gets distracted. If I have an on plan mean waiting for me at home it is easier to go home and eat then to stop and pick up something less healthy but fast. I think in dog training they call it incompatible behaviors. I only know this about dog training because I have replaced my t.v. watching with radio talk show podcastz. Right now I am listening to “Calling All Pets”. I find I clean the house and cook while I listen because I can not listen and surf the web or watch t.v. or read. I hope to soon start walking/exercising while I listen.

Everything you listed should be part of my healthier life. I weigh myself weekly. I do eat breakfast 9 out of 10 days. I have just greatly reduced my TV time. I find it helps me to sleep better when I do not watch TV every evening. I am struggling with exercise but I know that it is a must do for good health at any size. So I am committed to increasing my exercise to 5 days a week through the month of March.
5aday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 08:31 AM   #11  
One pound at a time...

Great thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrobin View Post
I just want to mention that yes, those are very good habits to incorporate into your life. But none of them will "work" (make us lose weight) unless we reduce our caloric intake and create a calorie deficit.

Well, duh.
I second this one. In the past I would consider myself an "active" obese person. I have been doing boxing (in some form or another) for at least the past 7 years, I am a sleep whore , and I have cut back on my tv watching. I always eat breakfast in the morning (at work normally). Plus I have a very active dog so I have the be outside rain or shine walking her or she will tear apart the house.

It was only when I started to cut back on calories and really looked at what I was eating that the weight started to drop off. But it will be the habits that I have developed that I can carry over for maintenance.
ChocLabLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 12:22 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 275/245/140

Height: 63inches

I have incorporated all of these things into my weight loss efforts as well. One other thing that helps me is to see my nutrionist on a regular basis. It makes me more accountable because I know he will be looking at my diet/exercise log plus weighing me. He is also good for moral support and to bounce ideas off of. I kept away from seeing one for years but that plus this forum is making all the difference in the world to me.
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote