Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 02-28-2009, 11:10 PM   #1  
Working my way back

S/C/G: 185/150

Height: 5'5

Default Do you have a heart rate monitor?

I decided I need to get one. I have never had one but know how they work and what they are for... etc.

I was just wondering who has one.... what's a good brand? what's a good price range? any specific features you look for? i almost picked one up today but decided to get some feedback from you guys first. i don't want to get one that's too fancy for my needs (basic HRM with ability to accurately track cals burned) but don't want to get a cheapo that's a waste of money either.

suggestions? thanks!
corazonas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 12:07 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 200/TICKER/160

Height: 5'7

I got a Polar F4 a couple weeks ago and I LOVE it. The one thing it doesn't have is a back light so you can read the watch in the dark. The F6 has that option along with a few other small improvements.
In my opinion, you can't go wrong with a Polar
They run from $80-$150
safyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 01:54 PM   #3  

S/C/G: HW 176/SW 163/CW ticker/GW 120

Height: 5'4"

i just got the polar f4 about a month ago. so far i really like it. it has changed the way i work out because now i target a certain heart rate rather than a speed. this is supposed to help increase overall fitness level, but it's too early for me to say whether it's working.
for some reason whenever i start out, the heart rate is a bit screwy, but it evens out after about 5 or 10 mins. dunno why this is.
sws19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 05:13 PM   #4  
No longer super size!!!

S/C/G: 282/ticker/190

Height: 6' 0"

I just bought a Timex from amazon.com. I'll chime in once it arrives and I've used it a few times.
grneyedmustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 06:51 PM   #5  

Guess I'll be the first to chime in with "no, I don't."

I can judge level of effort by how I feel (able to speak full paragraphs? able to speak a word or two? hang on, must catch my breath to answer?), and since I run on streets/trails/etc. (i.e., not treadmill) I have a built-in objective measure of what I'm doing. (Alternative answer, I'm a bit of a Luddite and I feel like a watch and an iPod are enough technology for me to require.)
MariaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 08:24 PM   #6  
Crazy runner

S/C/G: 213/131/maintaining

Height: 5'4.5"

Add me to the Polar fans. I have the F4 but will soon be upgrading to the F6 - it has a function that doesn't allow "cross talk" between other HRM's, so you'll always be getting your own data. I have loved my F4 every step of the way... it's so worth it!
Fat Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 11:08 PM   #7  
Working my way back

thatnks so much for the feedback! i found the one i had that was about 50 bucks (cant remember the brand this sec) and i dont know if it's reading accurately or not. it has a sensor button that gives you your HR thru your finger and tracks your cals burned by the number. i tried to stay in my normal range my whole run today (about 35 mins at a rate about 170- i checked a lot) and it said i burned 500 something cals. is there ANY way that's true?? i think i'm going to invest in a relatively expensive one because this just doesn't seem right.....
Old 03-01-2009, 11:50 PM   #8  
Melissa

Height: 5'9''

I have the Polar F6 and it rocks! I find it to be very accurate and LOVE the fact that it gives a weekly total and logs each workout/weekly total so you can go to past weeks and compare. You can also set a heart rate zone and it starts beeping at you if you slack off, it's like a nagging trainer. I can workout on my own and judge intensity on my own but the watch helps raise the bar and keeps me accountable. The battery even lasts over a year. The ONLY downside was getting used to wearing the strap under my sports bra... but I got over that in a day or two. It's pink too!
Bikini Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 12:13 AM   #9  

Quote:
(about 35 mins at a rate about 170- i checked a lot) and it said i burned 500 something cals. is there ANY way that's true??
At your weight 500 calories is about 5 miles, give or take.
MariaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 01:03 AM   #10  

Height: 5'11"

How do these things work? I looked at the Polar home page and they look like a watch, but do you also still have to wear a strap around your chest?
Windchime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 08:51 AM   #11  
Crazy runner

S/C/G: 213/131/maintaining

Height: 5'4.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windchime View Post
How do these things work? I looked at the Polar home page and they look like a watch, but do you also still have to wear a strap around your chest?
Yep, the strap around your chest transmits your heart rate to the watch. It's not bothersome at all and I don't even notice it's there.
Fat Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 09:00 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 200/168/165

Height: 5'8"

I have a Reebok one with a chest strap. I got it when i was taking spin class and I use it almost every time I exercise. I love it.
willow650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 10:16 AM   #13  
Working my way back

Quote:
Originally Posted by MariaMaria View Post
At your weight 500 calories is about 5 miles, give or take.
hm yeah, there's no WAY i ran 5 miles. more like 2... looks like i'm going SHOPPING haha
Old 03-03-2009, 02:58 PM   #14  
Eat Less Move More

S/C/G: 186/164/125

Height: 5'3"

Thanks for starting this topic. I too am looking for a good HRM now that I am running. I have found a couple decent ones on e-bay. I think I am going to get the Polar F6.
CruiseCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 03:03 PM   #15  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MariaMaria View Post
Guess I'll be the first to chime in with "no, I don't."

I can judge level of effort by how I feel (able to speak full paragraphs? able to speak a word or two? hang on, must catch my breath to answer?), and since I run on streets/trails/etc. (i.e., not treadmill) I have a built-in objective measure of what I'm doing. (Alternative answer, I'm a bit of a Luddite and I feel like a watch and an iPod are enough technology for me to require.)

Yep, me too on this.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote