South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 03-01-2009, 04:05 PM   #1  
Happily Married

S/C/G: 194/177/145

Default Post your tilapia recipes

I'm not a big seafood eater but the grocery store had tilapia on sale today so i thought i'd try it but not sure how to cook it, I'm leary of seafood because i dont want anything with a overly fishy taste. Thanks for the recipes
Skinnybride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 04:17 PM   #2  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Bride, there are lots of fish recipes in the recipe section. Any white fish recipe can be used for tilapia - even some of the salmon ones.

I'll move this post into the usual forum and chicks will let you know their favourites. The recipe Forum doesn't get as much traffic.
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 04:25 PM   #3  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Here's one that just popped up in another Forum. How cool is that?
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 05:03 PM   #4  
No longer super size!!!

S/C/G: 282/ticker/190

Height: 6' 0"

Here are 3 of my favorites:

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Baked-S...II/Detail.aspx
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Blacken...ts/Detail.aspx
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Broiled...an/Detail.aspx

Even though they're for salmon/grouper, I've tried them with Tilapia and they're just as good.
grneyedmustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 05:07 PM   #5  
me

S/C/G: 299/135/fit

how weird..i have some tilapia thawing in the sink, and I am definitely gonna try one of these recipes out..thanks for posting
kisskiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 05:27 PM   #6  
Happily Married

S/C/G: 194/177/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthxxx View Post
Bride, there are lots of fish recipes in the recipe section. Any white fish recipe can be used for tilapia - even some of the salmon ones.

I'll move this post into the usual forum and chicks will let you know their favourites. The recipe Forum doesn't get as much traffic.
Thanks I wasnt sure where to post
Skinnybride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 09:48 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 151.5/149.9/135

Height: 5'4"

my favorite recipe... i mostly know it by heart, so forgive the loose measurements...

Salt and pepper four tilapia filets. Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium high heat; cook fish 2-3 minutes on each side. Dredge fish in a mixture of 1/2 cup grated parmesean chease and 1 tablespoon dried basil. Squeeze 1/2 lemon over breaded fish. Broil until the parmesean browns, about 8-10 minutes.

It's a staple of mine... easy and delicious
swandive81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 09:17 AM   #8  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Does anyone know the usual mercury content of tilapia? I avoid pretty much all fish because of the mercury issues. A friend of mine is going through six months of chelation therapy for mercury poisoning because she loves fish and eats it often. I just ate two cans of tuna a week for a couple months and testing showed a pretty high level of mercury.

However, I have no idea if tilapia is a smaller fish and, therefore, less of a mercury risk.
beachgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 09:23 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 154/148.6/119

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachgal View Post
Does anyone know the usual mercury content of tilapia? I avoid pretty much all fish because of the mercury issues. A friend of mine is going through six months of chelation therapy for mercury poisoning because she loves fish and eats it often. I just ate two cans of tuna a week for a couple months and testing showed a pretty high level of mercury.

However, I have no idea if tilapia is a smaller fish and, therefore, less of a mercury risk.
Beachgal,

Tilapia is .010 ppm (mean) and to give you an idea of how low that is, shark is at .098 ppm (mean). Only trout and tuna are lower.

Shark, mackerel, and bass are much higher.

If you google mercury levels of tilapia, you'll find a lot more information. It isn't as scary as it sounds. If you limit yourself to one to two servings of fish a week, and keep most of your choices on the low-spectrum side, you'll be fine.

I have to wonder how it is that people on high-fish diets remain so healthy, and we in the States fall apart over everything. I swear it has to be in the processing of food or in the combination of foods and lifestyle.
AnAbsoluteDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 12:21 PM   #10  

One of my favorite recipes is the Baja Fish Tacos http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=145957 They are easy and really good with Tilapia.
Barb0522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 12:53 PM   #11  
Feelin good in my skin

Height: 5'9"

Here's my favorite Tilapia Recipe:

Tilapia Parmesan:

(I ususally 1/2 the recipe)

1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup butter, softened (I used I Can't Believe it's not Butter)
2 tablespoons mayonnaise
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon dried basil
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/8 teaspoon onion powder
1/8 teaspoon celery salt
2 pounds tilapia fillets

DIRECTIONS
Preheat your oven - 375

In a small bowl, mix together the Parmesan cheese, I can't believe it' s not butter, mayonnaise and lemon juice. Season with dried basil, pepper, onion powder and celery salt. Mix well and set aside.

Arrange fillets in a single layer on the prepared pan. Spread mixture over the top. Bake until bubbly and browned a bit on top.
I
Marathon Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 01:06 PM   #12  
beachin'

S/C/G: 240/125/130

Height: 5'8

I was craving fish tacos the other night and took a spin on the baja fish tacos that Barb posted.

I made a dry rub of cayenne pepper, salt, garlic powder, chili pepper and cumin - rubbed it on the tilapia and baked until flaky.

Broke the tilapia up into chunks and assembled the tacos:

ww tortillas (or lettuce wraps for P1)
red cabbage
cilantro
pico de gallo (I made my own with a mixture of chopped red onions, garlic, tomatoes and cilantro)
avocado
small sprinkle of cheddar cheese

they were awesome. I'm making them again this week.
zeffryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 01:53 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 365/332/160

Height: 5'7"

Glad I found this thread! I definitely need to get more fish into my diet.
Missy09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 02:25 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 151.5/149.9/135

Height: 5'4"

I love the fish taco idea, definitely trying that this week!
swandive81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 02:52 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 170/170/110

Height: 4'11''

My recipe is extremely basic. I purchased the pack of individually frozen tilapia boneless, skinless loins from Costco.

I place 1 tilapia loin coated in 1 tsp of olive oil in a glass baking dish and my veggies foil pouched (frozen asparagus, frozen french green beans and chopped portobello mushrooms mixed in 1tspn of olive oil with garlic powder, molly mcbutter and 1/4 tsp kosher salt) in the oven at 400 degrees for 1/2 hour. The texture of the fish is more like the inside a deep fried battered fish (delish!) only with out the yummy beer batter. I use Louisiana Gem Hot sauce on it too...or you could use salsa.

It's basic, tasty and quick.

**I haven't started SBD yet, this is a recipe I've been using while on medifast. I'm currently finishing up the last of my medifast supply and purchased the SBD Supercharged book. Hoping to start in 2 weeks!!!**
TheBeesKnees is offline   Reply With Quote