Closed Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 09:58 AM   #166  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Height: 5'1"

ACCOUNTABILITY: Actions that reflect the integrity of the person you want to be.

Come join the March ACCOUNTABILITY thread & commit to making an exta effort in March!

Remember, we are responsible for our EFFORTS - not for the outcomes.

Efforts = the day to day decisions/actions we take to lose weight.
Outcomes = what the scale says.

Lynn

Last edited by ladyinweighting; 02-25-2009 at 10:04 AM.
Old 02-25-2009, 11:42 AM   #167  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

Good Morning Girls!
I'm getting nervous just thinking about MIL head shrink's appointment tomorrow. We have 8 inches of snow plus 45 mile and hour winds predicted for tomorrow. We can't postpone it because we already did that once and it takes 3 months to get her in. Hopefully she will adjust her meds so she's not living in the 1960's.
Happy Birthday Linda (Meowee), I should dig out my stats on everyone's birthday. ( I don't know where I've buried them)
Is anyone a fan of 'Biggest Losers?" This is the first year we've watched the show and I look forward to it. We also started watching "The Closer" for the first time this year, we like that too.
Our local radio announcer was bragging about a butcher shop that has the best cuts of pork cutlets. I love pork cutlets but don't buy them often because of the fat. Bruce wanted some so I stopped and was surprised how lean they were. I made them yesterday with mashed potatoes and thought I died and went to heaven. It made enough for another meal of it tonight so I have a cook-free day.
You all have a great day!
Old 02-25-2009, 05:16 PM   #168  
Lifetime Loser

Bobbi, we have watched The Closer since it started, it's a very good show.

Lynn, it should be fairly easy to add more protein if that is what you need just find out the grams he wants you on.

We are having pork tonight but don't think it will be as good as Bobbi's sounds!

Was in the mid 50's today and took our puppy out for a little leash training.
Old 02-26-2009, 09:20 AM   #169  

S/C/G: 250/208/150

Height: 5'4

Morning....I peeked in and waved to everyone. Too sick to stay. Killer cold/sinus/yucks......Karen3

ps Happy Birthday Linda
Old 02-26-2009, 09:21 AM   #170  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Well . . . yesterday was definitely NOT an OP kind of day -- two birthday meals were forced on me. One more lunch to go today and then, hopefully, I can get myself back on track.

Weather was terrific yesterday although it actually got too warm (a little above freezing) in one way. I gave my car a treat for my birthday and got it washed; but the roads were wet and consequently the clean lasted about 12 minutes.

Okay . . . I'm going over to reserve my spot in the March Accountability thread.
Old 02-26-2009, 10:07 AM   #171  
Bobbi

Good Morning!
Karen3...make some chicken soup and stay in bed. Get well hugs.
Meowee...Sounds like you had a delicious b'day.
Not'ting goin on today, sitting around waiting for the storm to hit.
I found a new recipe for mexican spaghetti called 'Fideo'. It's pretty calorie friendly except for the shredded cheddar cheese you sprinkle over the top but I can use less than called for on my portion.
Rusty...I like The Closer, too bad we didn't start watching it 4 years ago. We like all those detective type shows, Cold Case, CSI, Law and Order, Criminal Minds to name a few.
Is anyone beseiged with those pesty Asian Beetles? Now that we're getting a few over 30's temperate, they are coming out of the woodwork. I found some bug spray from 'Stanley' that kills them long after we've sprayed but I hate using it. We have to breath it in and it's not very healthy for us or Charlie. (Our dog)
Time to get shaking, bye
Old 02-26-2009, 10:21 AM   #172  
Bobbi

I just read this on Dr. Weil site. I'm from the old school and never had/have tried marijuana or any tripping drug. Would you try this if you were diagnosed with early stages of Alzheimers or Dementia?

Quote:
Red Wine and Marijuana against Alzheimer's?

Two new studies suggest that red wine and marijuana may help to prevent or slow Alzheimer’s disease and other age-related memory loss.
An article first published at miller-mccune.com on November 21, 2008, points out that at the November, 2008 meeting of the Society of Neuroscience in Washington, D.C., Ohio State University researchers reported that THC, the main psychoactive substance in the cannabis plant, may lower inflammation in the brain, and even stimulate formation of new brain cells.
And in the Nov. 21, 2008, issue of the Journal of Biological Chemistry, neurologist David Teplow of the University of California, Los Angeles reported that naturally occurring components of red wine called polyphenols can block the formation of proteins that build the toxic plaques thought to destroy brain cells. In addition, these substances can reduce the toxicity of existing plaques. Both actions can slow memory loss.
Neither of these findings surprises me. That marijuana has medical efficacy against a variety of conditions is firmly established scientifically, and the health benefits of moderate red wine consumption are also becoming clearer with each passing year. As of November, 2008, 15 states had laws with provisions for medical marijuana on the books, and I hope more states enact enlightened policies in this regard. In the meantime, if you enjoy an occasional glass of red wine, continue to do so as part of an overall healthy diet.
Old 02-26-2009, 07:04 PM   #173  
Lifetime Loser

I would do it. My good friend was on chemo and her daughter got her some and it really helped with her throwing up and keeping food down. She didn't get addicted to it and hasn't used it since. I think we should have the option available to us.

Phyllis
Old 02-27-2009, 10:02 AM   #174  
Bobbi

Good Morning!
My day started with a laugh, did anyone catch 'Good Morning America' this morning? A 70+ year old woman bashed a robber in the head with her Emeril cooking pan, (there were 3 robbers in her home). Emeril was laughing about it and said she should call it her 'BAM' pan. The police are keeping her pan as evidence so he's sending her a new set.
As we all age, we're not quite as brave as we were when we were younger. What would you do if it were your home and 3 robbers broke in?
In our case they would be looking down the barrel of a loaded pistol.

An Orange a day will keep the doctor away. A Good and simple recipe below for a change of salad dressing.

Quote:
Citrus Salad Dressing
DescriptionThis tart, sweet salad dressing is wonderful on dark, leafy salad greens like romaine or leaf lettuce tossed with orange segments, black olives and red onion slivers. Ingredients1/3 cup fresh orange juice
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
Salt and black pepper to taste InstructionsWhisk all the ingredients together or combine in a small jar and shake well. Keeps in the refrigerator for 2 days. Serves 4

Nutrients Per Serving

Calories: 43.0
Protein: 0.1 grams
Fat: 3.4 grams
Saturated Fat: 0.5 grams
Monounsat Fat: 2.5 grams
Polyunsat Fat: 0.3 grams
Carbohydrate: 3.3 grams
Fiber: 0.0 grams
Cholesterol: 0.0 mg
Vitamin A: 40.9 IU
Vitamin E: 0.4 mg/IU
Vitamin C: 10.2 mg
Calcium: 2.7 mg
Magnesium: 3.9 mg

Old 02-27-2009, 12:27 PM   #175  

Good Morning all,

karen, I hope you'e feeling better.

Bobbi and Phyllis, Add me to the list that think Marijuana should be legalized for medical purposes. And I do give it at the hospital occasionally. Pill form, for people that have no appetite. We use it mostly for Ca and Aids patients but it works for anyone. Why should they be deprived of something that could help them?

Bobbi, that dressing sounds yummy. Spinach salad?

I watch the Closer too, always have. I also watch Monk, CSI and Bones.

Freda
Old 02-27-2009, 12:58 PM   #176  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbolink View Post
Good Morning!
What would you do if it were your home and 3 robbers broke in?
In our case they would be looking down the barrel of a loaded pistol.

An Orange a day will keep the doctor away. A Good and simple recipe below for a change of salad dressing.
Hi Bobbi,

Knowing me, I'd probably try to talk them into getting their GED .

Lynn

Last edited by ladyinweighting; 02-27-2009 at 12:58 PM.
Old 02-27-2009, 05:49 PM   #177  
Isabella

S/C/G: 180/154.5/125

Height: 5 feet 2 inches

Just a to everyone. DH wants the laptop. Just got mine back from the shop so we're fighting who gets to use it, ha, ha.
Old 02-28-2009, 07:58 AM   #178  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Yes, I saw that little blurb about the woman hitting the would-be robbers with the frying pan. Bet the think a long hard time before they try to outwit more seniors.

My yesterday turned into a day and a half of busy-ness. Started with a bit of a family emergency -- so hard to cope with when you are over a thousand miles away. Then spent absolutely hours at the vet's office just to get Mouse his annual checkup and booister shot. Remind me never to make a vet appointment for Friday afternoon again. And, finished up with yet another dinner out.

At least the weather was cooperative; but it looks like our streak of great sunshine and pleasant Winter temperatures is ending at three. Today it is raining buckets and the forecast is for an instant freeze-up overnight and then three (maybe four) days of heavy snow. March is definitely goint to start out lion-like so it had better end up behaving like the proverbial lamb.

Hope things are lookinbg good for the rest of you . . .

Last edited by meowee; 02-28-2009 at 07:58 AM.
Old 02-28-2009, 01:12 PM   #179  
Bobbi

Hi all....I posted the March Golden Girls, see ya all there.

Attention all animal lovers, I know some of you have cats and dogs. Don't give your darlings anything with peanut butter in.
Quote:

Can Fido Get Salmonella?

Following the recent peanut-butter-based salmonella outbreak, many of our readers caring for companion animals are wondering if peanut butter and related pet treats and foods could lead to adverse affects. According to the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA), healthy adult dogs are generally resistant to salmonella, but puppies, older dogs and dogs with compromised immune systems are at risk. Until this salmonella outbreak is contained, I advise against giving your dog treats or foods that use peanut butter, peanut butter from a jar, or any other product - whether intended for animals or humans - that has been recalled. If you suspect that your dog has been in contact with tainted food (signs include vomiting, diarrhea, fever, panting, lethargy, and drooling) contact your vet immediately. Visit the ASPCS Web site for more information: www.aspca.org
Another Reason to Make Friends with Animals
Dogs, cats, and other animals have a positive effect on people, especially older adults. Caring for a companion animal brings joy and a sense of connection to one's life, and offers health benefits including lower blood pressure and higher self-esteem

Old 02-28-2009, 04:20 PM   #180  

S/C/G: 200/200/150

Height: 5'5"

Hi all,
Lynn, that article was a long read but well worth it. Thanks for posting.

Bobbi, anybody who tried to break into my apartment would trip over one of the cats and/or the mess and break at least one limb, if not their necks, and too bad for them.

I already drink a glass of red wine most nights, since I read about its benefits to the heart (now if I can just ignore the newer study that says any alcohol consumption raises a woman's likelihood of cancer). And yes, I would definitely use marijuana if it would help with a medical condition.

Weather here is a bit chilly but sunny. My sister in Texas e-mailed us that it's 90 there already, while my brother in Saskatchewan says it's -45 out there.

Off to sign up in the March accountability thread ...
Closed Thread