Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-28-2009, 10:17 AM   #1  
Dorm Dieter

Question Looking Skinnier, but not loosing?

I got really sick recently, and a lot of belly fat seemed to just disappear. Actually, I look over all pretty skinny, even my once stocky legs are slimming down. What's worrisome is, I'm getting skinny even though I haven't been eating well or able to make it to the gym to exercise (1 day out sick = 2 weeks makeup work)

Everyone has noticed as well, a few of my friend were worried, generally because I'm sick and have been eating less, but I hopped on the scale today and it looks like I haven't lost any weight at all. I know I'm coming off the time of the month, but I'm looking like I dropped 10 pounds, anyone have a clue as to why it wouldn't translate on the scale? I hope the fat hasn't just had a migration to some hard to reach area ):
huggamouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 10:42 AM   #2  

Boy, if you get any responses to this I sure want to know. I have been starving myself and it is not translating to the scale either. I sure relate and hopefully someone will have some answers.
grabec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 10:58 AM   #3  

I am pretty sure when you don't eat your body hold's onto what it can food wise . does that make since ? My sister lost tons of weight not eatting but not the healthy way and gained it all back and then some . i know the one post says you have been sick so im sure its alot of that and water weight .
CabinGrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 11:45 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 201.8/155.2/158

Height: 5 7

[QUOTE=huggamouse;2632844]I got really sick recently, and a lot of belly fat seemed to just disappear. Actually, I look over all pretty skinny, even my once stocky legs are slimming down. What's worrisome is, I'm getting skinny even though I haven't been eating well or able to make it to the gym to exercise (1 day out sick = 2 weeks makeup work)

You are telling us you were sick but not saying what it was, or for how long you were sick. It is not uncommon for us to have short term losses when we are sick but you are showing no weight reduction and you are saying no excersise so that blows the theroy that you could be adding muscle and loosing fat. I would monitor myself very carefully writting down everything you eat and if you do not get back to normal within a few days I would go see the doctor to see if there is an underlying problem. Good luck I hope it sorts it self out
cdawnfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 12:24 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 187/171/125

Height: 5'4''

I can totally relate- I've been busting my butt, working out, eating right (on WW) and haven't lost an ounce in 2 weeks!

I'm slowly starting to accept (or at least realize) that my body doens't like to lose at the same rate as everyone else.

I'm sure it'll start to show on the scale soon. And either way, better to look skinny and not see it on the scale than the other way around!
primaballerina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 12:41 PM   #6  

I agree with CabinGirl. When I used to be anorexic, I would look skinnier, but generally stay the same weight. I believe and was told it was because I was retaining water weight. Or it's because I haven't been eating, which led to me not using the bathroom, holding the same/similar amount of food/water in my body. But, this is random, after I urinate I lost 1.6 lbs. Haha, I thought it was pretty funny.
I am not exactly sure why you haven't lost any though
lyndavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 12:45 PM   #7  
Dorm Dieter

It was a head cold really. But it was in conjunction with my period, so I felt particularly icky. I did lose my appetite, and for a while I was actually surviving on this pasta conglomeration that was about the only thing that I could eat without getting too nauseous.

cdawnfine: I was only sick for a week, I was only out of class for a day. I did do a fast on the 16th for religious purposes... But I expected to gain weight from that, it was only for 12 hours besides. Then the next week I started getting 'you're looking thinner' comments ,which threw me off guard because I felt like I'd been stuffing my face, and I haven't been to the gym in forever!

I hope that clarifies it. I look thinner, but my scale isn't saying that I am. I'm hoping it's muscle mass or something. I did manage to play ultimate frisbee for about 4 hours yesterday and I ran a mile without getting tired, even though I haven't been on a run in a month(ish) Perhaps it's because I'm always speeding to class?
huggamouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 12:55 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 201.8/155.2/158

Height: 5 7

Thanks for the clarification. Sometimes it takes others a while to notice our weight loss that could be the case for you. It's funny you can be loosing and looseing and then one day everyone you know says WOW are you loosing weight? It could be as simple as your prior excersise efforts are paying off for you know, meaning that you had built up muscle before you got sick and as we all know muscle burns more calories than fat so even with no excersise while you where ill you are still burning more calories than you would have before. A good example is I hit my goal weight 6 weeks ago since then I have not been able to excersise due to an injury yet I am still eating the same and have not only maintained but lost a few more along the way. I do know that this is temporary and if I do not adjust my food or activity level I will gain.
cdawnfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 01:41 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 145/ticker/125

Height: 5' 2"

Like cdawnfine said, you may be looking skinnier to your friends because when you were sick they took the time to notice. Losing weight fast is a common symptom of illness, so when they heard you were ill they looked at you and said, "Wow, you do look pale. You have those bags under your eyes, and you're so skinny" and assumed the last was part of the sickness and not your actual size pre-cold.
tkm256 is offline   Reply With Quote