Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 02-23-2009, 01:20 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 143/135/120

Height: 5'5

Unhappy the newest obsticle - alcohol

Hey guys,

I have been working hard with my trainer, and I am on a high fiber, high protein diet. Things are beginning to really change for me and I am pleased. Then . . . it happened

I went to a birthday party for a friend and I had two (2) glasses of white wine.

I was completely drunk and I had to take a taxi home. Today followed with a nasty hangover. I have been alcohol free since the holiday so I had NO IDEA that it would happen with so little liquor on board.
I know alcohol is fattening and that is why I completely quit drinking it while I started things up . . . but?

Is this my new normal? Should I be alcohol-phobic?
netside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 01:26 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 235/203.2/135

Height: 5'6

Heyy! I think you're fine, before when i'd go out i'd have 3 or 4 midori sours or other really sugary bad for you mixed drinks, and when i started my diet i too have been drinking wine if you look up the calories its really not that bad as long as you plan for it! Lifes short so if you enjoy drinking on the weekends theres no reason to competely cut it out just prepare
CityChick86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 09:20 AM   #3  

Thanks, but I think I was not clear.
2 glasses of wine and I was intoxicated?
Does the dieting set your alcohol tolerance lower? or is this my new limit?
Am I going to need to shy away from cocktail hour with the girls from now on?
Old 02-23-2009, 09:26 AM   #4  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

I drink red wine (one 3-4 ounce glass) twice a week. I feel a little "tipsy" after just one. I think it would take the whole bottle to get me drunk. My tolerance is definitely lower than it was before I lost weight though.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 10:02 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 160/160/115

Height: 5'2"

Hmm... not drinking for a while lowers your tolerance... your lower weight means the alcohol will affect you more... and the less you've eaten recently, the more you'll feel it, which is probably the case if you've been eating less lately. So it's not completely unreasonable, but it does seem strange.

Were you on any medications, or had taken anything over-the-counter at the time? Any recent illnesses? Weird hormonal things?

Were you well hydrated? Being dehydrated and drinking alcohol is a nasty combination, and I bet that if you had recently worked out and not drank enough water to make up for it, that would cause it. That would also explain the hangover.

I hope this doesn't sound too alarmist of me, but did you keep an eye on your drinks the entire time?

Last edited by mayness; 02-23-2009 at 10:03 AM.
mayness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 11:02 AM   #6  

S/C/G: HW 176/SW 163/CW ticker/GW 120

Height: 5'4"

i've definitely experienced the same thing but not as severely, probably because i was starting from a point of much greater alcohol consumption than you. but the first few weeks of the diet i also wasn't really drinking much. and when i started again, my tolerance was significantly less than it had been in over a decade. however, i sorta view this as a win win win because a)i'm spending far less money on booze, b)you don't consume as many calories from booze since you don't need much to get tipsy, c)better health from drinking less AND from losing weight.
in my book, being a lightweight is awesome!
sws19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 12:15 PM   #7  
No longer super size!!!

S/C/G: 282/ticker/190

Height: 6' 0"

My tolerance has gone WAY DOWN since I've been dieting. I view it as a good thing, though, because I don't spend a lot of money on alcohol.
grneyedmustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 12:24 PM   #8  
Priscatip

Height: 5' 6"

I agree - when I was heavier and drinking several days a week, my friends and I could go through several bottles of wine and wish we had more. Now, having lost weight and being 'out of practice', 2 glasses of wine get me where I want to be and I can't drink any more. I also discovered, this weekend actually, that drinking way past my limit leads to a day long hangover, instead of bouncing back with a little headache the next day. Maybe I'm just getting old too.

I'd go with it as a plus too - 1 bottle of wine is much less expensive than 4.
Priscatip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 11:09 AM   #9  

I am now considered a 'cheap date' lol...two drinks and stick a fork in me I'm DONE...

I used to be a heavy drinker and now two drinks and I feel totally intoxicated so I've pretty much quit..a drink here a drink there..

I blew it last night because I had a large Bailey's on ice I don't know why but it seems like I keep sabatoging myself in the weight loss war..what's up with that?

Happy Tuesday All

ASoutherner~

Last edited by ASoutherner; 02-24-2009 at 11:09 AM.
ASoutherner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 02:07 PM   #10  

Yea, I was a bit of a drinker before my diet- now it only takes a couple & I'm toast!
kats12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 01:41 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 11st/-/9st

are you used to drinking wine? I find i get drunk on some things quicker than others, eg it would take a few vodkas just to get me tipsy but after a can of cider id be absolutely pissed. It also depends how much you had eaten, and how quickly you drank the wine.
Umberto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 11:41 AM   #12  

o! I was a drinker!I am in sales and many dinner meetings include a good glass of wine. Now I am sipping my water and waiting for the remarks to come (and they do)
I am a big girl I can take it. I am really hoping the scale will start rewarding me for all this good doing.
Old 02-28-2009, 09:20 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 198/190/150

Maybe because you haven't been eating much carbs?

I like to drink a few beers on the weekends. When I drink a few with pizza, it doesn't faze me. But if I drink a few while eating crabs or shrimp, I feels intoxicated. I always figured the pizza sucked the alcohol up like a sponge!

Also, there is something particularly in red wine that gives some people a headache... can't remember what it is... something to do with the sulfites...
twilight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 12:41 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 157/133.4/130

Height: 5'5"

If you are low-carbing, your alcohol tolerance will drop for sure. I think there is something to people saying, "I need something in my stomach to soak up the alcohol" when they are ordering bar snacks!
Su-Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 08:13 PM   #15  

yes, I am on a low carb high protein diet - and you are right - that is probably a likely culprit
I may have to just let beer and wine go until I reach my goal. I have plateau'ed and I do not like the defeat.
If I pick up carbs to be able to enjoy wine, I am only making this harder right?