Old 02-22-2009, 11:38 PM   #1  
Joggernaut

S/C/G: 172/165

Height: 5'2

Default My Reflection

So I've nearly lost 20 lbs since I moved to Korea in August. My friends and family, some who don't even know I'm dieting, have said I look thinner in pictures. My co-workers at my school have been saying I look slimmer for months now, especially in my face. My clothes are looser and I can fit in things that didn't fit me before.

I CAN'T SEE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When I look in the mirror, I still see a big potato head of white skin and CHIN. My thighs look just as fat. My butt looks just as big. I look at pictures from when I moved here and then switch to recent pictures... no difference. I can't see it.

The only thing that's changed is I've started feeling like my chest look cuter in tops. Which is funny, they've shrunk like 2 inches. Beyond that.. I feel like I look the exact same, if not even worse (my face I feel looks worse.. more doughy).

Can anyone relate?
joyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 11:50 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 255/see ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

Throw up some pictures, we'll scour them for every detail, it's so hard to look at your own self in an unbiased way, I bet all the girls on here will find plenty of changes you may not have noticed yourself!
Leeesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 12:37 AM   #3  
This is not a test.

S/C/G: 187/132/127.8

Height: 5'5''/165cm

i can relate. Put up some pics of you side by side, that helped me
Iconised Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 05:54 AM   #4  
Hooping my Life Away

S/C/G: 298/218.1/170

Height: 5'8"

Yes. But do not give up. I think that is one of the many reasons why I wound up quitting last year. I didn't see a change till I was 214 and I took a group picture with a whole gaggle of skinny people. I was from the side and could see I looked like a normal, robust, healthy size. It was amazing and I cried. That was 80 pounds down and I don't think I ever looked in the mirror and thought, "Wow. I've lost a ton of weight." I only could see it in pictures. To be honest I think around the 230-220 mark, I started to noticed my face would look weird in pictures. I think the only reason it was "weird" cause it was skinnier!

Don't give up. You can do it! You will see the change soon!
Daimere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 07:46 AM   #5  
Joggernaut

All right I've been obsessing over some pictures of me from my first month in Korea, and from my vacation from last month... I'd say there's an equal number of fat/flattering pictures. I could easily post one of me looking chubby & bloated next to a new one of me angled towards the side with arms up looking slim. OR I could pose some thinnish looking pictures of me at my highest weight and new pictures with double chins and fat rolls.

I mean I believe it. I've lost 10% of my body weight. And many people have commented... it must be true. Doesn't mean I can see it!

And I'm at no risk of giving up. My life is easy right now and I'm enjoying losing weight. I just wish I could enjoy it more IN THE MIRROR (or pictures) but loose clothing and other benefits are nice too.
Old 02-23-2009, 03:09 PM   #6  
This is not a test.

S/C/G: 187/132/127.8

Height: 5'5''/165cm

i didnt even see it when i compared my before and after photos, until i posted on here and people pointed it out! 10% is heeeeeaps, i bet you are looking amazing even if you cant see it Even if you arent enjoying looking at it, your body is enjoying the benefits
Iconised Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 03:40 PM   #7  
starving artist

S/C/G: 161/157.2/135

Height: 5'7"

i can definitely relate. i dont believe my weight loss either. i dont see it at all. i haven't lost as much weight, but when i saw my friends and family over xmas, everyone said i was so thin. why cant i see it??
stellart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 06:22 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 173/173/125

Height: 5'8"

I have lost a little over 20 lbs, and I can't see it either! but either can my family. After I told my mom that I had lost 20 pounds she said "really? I can't tell" (bummer). So if I were you I would rejoice in other people seeing your progress.
ella13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 06:36 PM   #9  
Joggernaut

Actually it's funny because today I was stretching my arms before I hopped in the shower and what did I catch in the corner of my eye in the mirror? RIBS! I haven't seen my ribs in a loooooooong time. So ok... I see something.

I think mostly it's my face. My bf, who says he can't tell I've lost weight, says he DOES think my face is thinner. When I look in the mirror, I think my face actually looks worse!

A funny sidenote, I kept asking my bf if he could see my WL and he kept saying he couldn't. Then one day he grabbed my pant leg and was like "Hey.... why is this so loose?"
Old 02-23-2009, 07:41 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 230/148.5/145

Height: 5'6''

Guys are so unobservant! My bf used to work away for 3 weeks at a time and then home for one week....every now and then he'd say something about noticing weightloss..but nothing major..then another time he is like " umm where did your boobs go?" They didn't disappear over night..hahahaha.

After losing just about 90 lbs I still see myself as fat...I think that for some people once you're fat a part of you will always be "mentally fat". Yes I can tell by the sizes of clothes etc..but looking in the mirror is difficult...still seeing imperfections...Sometimes it takes seeing a photo of myself to realize how much i've lost.
angelanicole23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 07:42 PM   #11  
Meow

It is pretty funny when other people notice and you dont.. it is nice to get some compliments coming your way!

I do somewhat notice on my end. I still have my drivers license from when I was 16, I compare it to my updated one (when I was 21) it is a big difference.. I love it heh
kalikat003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 08:14 PM   #12  
Joggernaut

ella, that's crazy nobody has commented to you! From my understanding, the closer you are to goal weight, the more even 5-10 lbs makes a big difference. Though I've heard people say they lost all this weight and nobody said anything and then they kind of stalled and all of the sudden, EVERYONE was saying things to them, even though they had been that weight awhile.

angela, I worry about that too. When I look at pictures of me at my lowest weight from 8 years ago, I think I look so good. But 8 years ago, those same pictures made me cringe. In my slimmest picture from now, I see arm fat, I see a belly bulge, I see dimpled thighs.

It's a real struggle to appreciate how you look. When my pair of pants felt loose, I remember feeling so good and skinny. Now those pants annoy me because they are not loose enough! I weigh less, I've lost inches but what once felt "thin" to me now does not.
Old 02-23-2009, 10:31 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 145/ticker/125

Height: 5' 2"

I still think I look like I did fifteen pounds ago when I look in the mirror. Especially from the side, because my breasts have shrunk my stomach looks bigger in my eyes. The other day, though, I was sitting next to my bf and I looked down at our laps and my thighs were so much smaller than I expected. It's not that he's big (he's like a foot taller, and a normal weight for his height)--I was used to seeing a certain ratio and that fraction had skewed in my favor.

When you look at photos of yourself over the months, don't just focus on you and how fat/skinny you look alone--try to see the whole picture of you next to family members. Presumably they're the same size they were before, so they're a good neutral marker
tkm256 is offline   Reply With Quote