Old 02-15-2009, 10:13 PM   #1  

Talking Steel Magnolias -- #11

Good Evening, Flowers! It has been a long day and bed is looking pretty good right now! I feel like I've spent the last 3 days cooking, doing dishes, and cooking some more! I'd forgotten how long it takes to make some of this finger food for card club! We did play bells this morning and if I do say so, I did pretty darned good! I had a few of lead in solo notes and didn't miss a one!

"Gma" -- Are most of your handbags the same style or do you have all shapes and sizes? I like your new one -- thanks for sharing the picture. I tend to stick to the same style simply because of all the stuff I seem to carry on a regular basis. Bob makes fun of me; I very rarely ever go anywhere without my purse, but when I do he will ask for the emery board or nail clippers or a toothpick. I assume PF Changs is Chinese from the name. Our local restaurant has a buffet but if you order from the menu there is enough for 2 meals. We haven't eaten there for quite a while, and Chinese sounds good!

Susan -- Our youth group is having a pancake breakfast next week! They are raising money for a trip to VA (I think) to help build houses. I will have to pay better attention next week when we go. We like to support the youth group because our kids both have such good memories of trips and going to camp. I had to laugh at your "Ladies of the Evening" group -- cute name! When you said, "nothing social after Lent begins" does that come from your church or is it your personal sacrifice? It's none of my business but I am curious.

I have a load of towels to fold and then I'm going to bed and read! Have a marvelous Monday tomorrow! I will finish my card club food, clean the bathrooms, and call it good enough.

Jean -- from Iowa!
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 06:54 AM   #2  

Good morning to you ladies and Happy Presidents' Day! Jack is upstairs snoozing enjoying his day off and he has until around 8 then I am going to roust him out of bed so I can get the upstairs cleaned. I want to start getting clothes gathered up and folded to pack. I have errands tomorrow and Wednesday and though Jack packs the night before, I like having it done early like everything else I do! lol

Susan: There is a verse in the Bible that says, "Wherever two or more are gathered in my name, there shall I be also." I think it should have included "and are eating again" after the "in my name" as church people are always having some kind of food thing going on. We either have coffee and donuts or breakfasts before services, potlucks after, etc, etc. Sounds like your little quilting group has fun. Since you sew, I am going to ask you a ??? I think I am going to put a coordinating cotton fabric backing on the placemats I am making for Alicia. How much bigger than the placemat should I make it to fold under and stitch around, 1/4 inch?

Jean: I have red, blues, purples, black, tans, greens, you name it except white. I hate white handbags for some reason as I hate white cars too! lol I have very large bags, large and a couple medium sized bags. I have leather, suede and some fabric, but I do tend to buy good quality leather so they will last. One of the bags I get the most conpliments on is huge, black, and shaped just like a doctor's bag. Jack hates the thing and says it always looks like I am going on an emergency call! Every once in awhile someone will buy me a bag for a gift and it is ugly. My sister did that and it was the ugliest color kind of the green color of algae. I regifted it to my sil (husband's sister so there won't ever be contact!) She loved it so alls well that ends well. My sister tends to buy things she likes for other people instead of their taste. I have gotten more than one thing from her that has been pretty ugly and frumpy. She is one of those ladies that wears decorated/sequined sweatshirts all the time no matter where she is going. Her dd begged me to get her into something stylish but I have tried and failed. She does wear the brown vest with the school buttons I made for her though.

Well, it is almost time for "Third Watch" so I am going to get off. Have a good start to your week if you have to work today or have fun if you don't!
Faye
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 09:58 AM   #3  

Good Morning, Flowers! I love coming here in the morning! The sun is shining but it is cold outside . . . rain and snow are supposed to be here in a couple days. I've got my last load of laundry going and need to fix one more munchy for tonights card club. I'll defur Ernie's favorite chair this afternoon and do the once over in the bathrooms before I call it quits.

"Gma" -- You didn't ask me but I will share my opinion anyway. Are you going to wash the place mats before you back them? I would also wash whatever fabric you choose for backing and would allow at least a half inch if not 3/4 inch. If the fabric will ravel it might come apart if your DIL washes and dries them by machine. Both Amanda and Beth have the theory if it can't go in the washer and dryer (or dishwasher) then they won't use/wear it. They dry everything which makes me nuts as I think the dryer is hard on clothes. That's just my opinion however. I used to be much better at having things ready ahead of time, but somehow I've started waiting until the last minute which is NOT a good plan. Half the time I can't find the card, piece of clothing, or whatever when I need it in a hurry. I'm hoping that retirement will help that! You are the "Queen of Hand Bags" here!

I hear the dryer buzzing so I need to get a move on. Have a wonderful day and enjoy!

Jean -- from Iowa!

Last edited by Jean; 02-16-2009 at 09:59 AM.
Old 02-16-2009, 11:35 AM   #4  

The Love Letters from Unhealthy Foods for Women

Hello sweetheart, how are you feeling today? I've been hearing all over town that you have been thinking about leaving me. Haven't I been there for you? Haven't I been home every single night waiting for you every single night waiting patiently for you to come in? I'm on every corner in some shape or form just waiting for you to drive by and think about me. Haven't I given you all the fat and calories that any female has even wanted? Didn't I raise your cholesterol level to an all time high? Didn't I make your heart beat faster than anything else? Who fixed it so that you could lay around and do nothing all day? I did, you told me that I was the sweetest thing in your life, "don't leave me baby".

I thought you loved the way I make the fat hang over your jeans whenever you sit down, or the way I make your thighs wrinkle whenever you cross your legs. Have you forgotten how my sugar gets you so high? I know that eventually it brings you down again, and I apologize for that," but I can't help it sweetie, that's just the way I am"

I admit that I love when you think that people don't want you around because I have made you so fat and uncomfortable that you refuse to participate in anything, ("that's my girl, I can have you all to myself now").

Hey darling, what is this I hear about you flirting with lettuce and tomato at the grocery store? What's going on with that? Was water there? Did you happen to run in to Whole grain bread too? They all run together you know. I'm not sure if this is true, but I hear they only deal with women who have self-esteem and self-worth! and I recognized from the beginning of our relationship that you didn't have either one of those qualities sweetheart, Baby I know that you don't care enough about yourself to walk two to three days a week, do a little yoga with a friend, or a few crunches here and there, I understand the fact that women like you really don't want to get to know themselves, because if they do, they might just have to deal with some issue that they would rather keep buried inside, "but, that's o.k. with me cupcake, just keep it all inside, because I'm here for you.

Listen up girl, if you have been thinking about having breakfast with cantaloupe and oatmeal, forget about it! They can't can't do a d--m thing for you except bring you down, way down! you don't need to be healthy and feel pretty, you don't need to get down to your idea weight, or eat foods that were created especially for you! What would you look like munching on fresh bell peppers and sweet onions that was cooked in olive oil, with some whole grain rice and a piece of fish seasoned to your liking? everyone knows that you are not on that level my dear.

Speaking of water, he thinks he is all of that, believe me baby, he is nothing compared to me. I hear that he is cheap, easy to get to, and has no color or flavor! Unlike me, I come in all flavors, shapes, sizes and colors, and I am more expensive too! I think it is time for me to share something with you "my dove" I lost my last women to Water you know! all I'm trying to say is " I love you", and I am here to fill that empty heart of yours, in case you get lonely, stressed out, or bored ,I'll be here to satisfy your every craving. I'll be here for you when you think that you have nobody at all, I'll never leave you.
Listen girl, if you stick with me I promise you "there will be bigger and better things to come" on the other hand, if you do decide to start dealing with healthy foods, I can only guarantee you one thing, "YOU WILL BE LOSING ME"!!!!!!

Signed Unhealthy Foods
P.S. don't go changing
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 11:52 AM   #5  

Good morning, ladies - only 40 degrees and it's nearly noon.

Faye, If you use cotton yarn to make the placemats, you might want to wash them before lining because they will shrink. Cut the lining about 1/2 inch bigger all the way around. It will easier to turn under.

Jean, we have nothing social at the church or in the church's name during Lent. It's our personal choice whether we limit other social activities. We'll still have bible study but we won't have food and beverages before hand. There won't be any coffee and donuts after mass or social time, etc. The only thing the Church imposes on us for Lent is to not eat meat on Fridays.

Have a good day, ladies!
Old 02-17-2009, 04:30 AM   #6  

Good morning gals! I had one of those nights when my medication kept me up and down in the bathroom. I hate it when it does that and I just gave up after the last time and decided to come downstairs. Thanks to both of you for the info on the placemats. I will keep it in mind when I finish them.

Jean: I gave Fortune a bath yesterday and then brushed him out. It kills my knees to put weight on them, but he needed a bath so a bath he got. Some women love shoes, I love handbags. I rarely buy one that I don't use because I discover I don't like it. Some don't use a lot because of their color, but I still use them. One of my favorite bags is bright bright pink and I love the size of it, the soft leather and it has lots of pockets and such to put stuff in. Unfortunately, pink doesn't go with everything! lol

Susan: Thanks for the article from "unhealthy." Boy is it all true and then some. I watched that brookhave obesity clinic last night for a bit and some of those folks are truly in deep deep trouble and still they can't control themselves. One young fellow is literally suffocating himself with fat over his lungs but he continues to cheat and get takeout delivered to the clinic. Us fat folks are no different than anyone else with an addiction. We get on the straight and narrow then relapse, then back, then relapse. I told Jack the other day that I was watching the Sopranos and one of the characters who had been in a fancy rehab place and was out, relapsed and was sitting in his car smoking crack. I told him, I could identify with that, going back to what was bad for you because it drew you back.

You gals have a great Tuesday. I have to go to the post office and put a hold on the mail for tomorrow. I always have to do it a day ahead to make sure the dummies stop my mail, which they never do and I always have to call the delivery supervisor and complain.

Faye
Old 02-17-2009, 06:01 PM   #7  

Good Afternoon, Flowers! It's been a gloomy day in my neighborhood and the rain is supposed to move in tonight turning to snow during the night. Joy! Most of our yard snow is gone and it's pretty ugly out there. Today was a typical day after a 4 day weekend. "Huh? What homework? Why me? I didn't know that was due today? "

Susan -- Thanks for the Love Letter! I am printing it out to read and reread! I was thinking maybe you limited yourself to social gatherings during Lent; I knew about the no meat on Fridays because of the school lunches. Hope you had a good day at work!

"Gma" -- I was up and down during the night because I drank too much water during card club last night. I should know better! I have been dragging all day. I'm fighting a sore throat and sinus headache again; perhaps I'll have to visit the doctor yet. I hope the post office gets it right this time and you don't have to call! The price goes up and the service goes down. Have a wonderful trip if I don't get a chance to tell you before you leave!

It's about time to call my mom so better get moving. Hope you all have a relaxing evening and a wonderful Wednesday tomorrow! I feel like I'm missing a day this week!

Jean -- from Iowa!

Last edited by Jean; 02-17-2009 at 06:01 PM.
Old 02-18-2009, 05:07 AM   #8  

Good morning ladies! Probably last day to post until next Wednesday. I doubt I have much time tomorrow unless I am up really early. I have to take Fortune to the kennel, pick up a few things at the store and get back home by 9 as Jack will be home directly after that. I am sure looking forward to getting away even though we will be driving into snow I guess. I am not looking forward to that at all. It is beautiful here this morning, 60 degrees!

Jean: Every time you post about kids and their homework I think about when I was in school and how I would never have not turned in homework even when I struggled with it as I did with geometry. I had no one to help me with it and didn't understand it at all. I barely scraped by with a "C" in it and sometimes dipped into a "D." I think Catholics tend to have less social functions where there is food because so many of them quit eating some type of food for Lent. We Baptists don't celebrate Lent and as such are all porky! We shall see about the post office. I have yet to have them actually stop it without having to call the day they are supposed to stop it because they didn't, so I imagine I will be calling today. They are so lazy and the thing is, it is hard to get fired if you work for the PO. Federal jobs are like that. I will give you an example of something that just happened. We had a certified letter come to us and we weren't home I guess two weeks ago so she left a card. I know they have to try to redeliver twice more before sending it back so I just waited for them to redeliver. The post office that we get mail out of is clear across town so I figured they could just redeliver. Well, she didn't try to redeliver for 10 days then I saw her on Monday delivering the mail on our street and looked in the box and she hadn't delivered ours. I went out a few minutes later and here was another card. The lazy woman wouldn't even walk up to the house and try and deliver it she just put in another card. I had been leaving the gate unlocked every day so she could redeliver. So, I ended up having to go pick it up anyway. I saw on the letter they were sending back Monday without even attempting a third delivery. Lazy, lazy people.

I guess I should go. I am going to knit until Jack gets up then hightail it upstairs and pack stuff.

Have a great weekend and week and I will talk to you when I get back.
Faye
Old 02-18-2009, 02:06 PM   #9  

Good afternoon, ladies! Cold, gloomy rainy day, but we really need the rain.

Faye - Have a great visit with Jackson et al and a safe, no-trouble trip! We'll try to keep things going until you get back. Don't even get me going about the post office - at work we have a bank of mailboxes and half the time, she just stuffs a handful of mail in random boxes so we then spend the next hour redelivering to each other. At home, we have excellent service. Probably because I live in the county so it's a small operation and we all know who works there! The carrier used to bring the mail to the door for my husband since he knew he had a hard time getting to the box. If I leave a note that I need stamps and the money, he brings them the next day.

Jean, did you get more snow? Fortunately we've only had a few snow flakes this whole winter, none that survived on the ground. We'll be turning the clocks forward in only 3 weeks (March 8) so it will be nice to have more daylight in the evening.

I have quilting bee tonight and only 1 more week until THE QUILT SHOW!

Have a good evening!
Old 02-18-2009, 05:39 PM   #10  

Good Afternoon! The sun is shining but it is very windy and cold outside. We didn't get any rain nor snow last night so that is ok with me. School was SSDD again today.

"Gma" -- I hope the weather holds for you and you don't have any bad driving weather. I know you will have a wonderful visit with Jackson, and get to use some of your "Grandma Magic!" When the kids were here on Saturday and ready to leave, everyone was supposed to go potty before they walk out the door. Zowie kept saying she didn't have to go and was just about in tears when I asked her if Grandma could take her. She shook her head yes and away we went. She pottied and everyone was happy. Jason just rolls his eyes and I keep telling him to have patience and use a little sweet talk with her. We have a substitute mail carrier (female) and she runs about 2 hours later than the regular guy does. Bob says it is because she drives a car and is too short to reach the mailboxes so has to slide across the seat each time she makes a stop. She usually is on the route when I have something to be mailed and because she is so late it won't leave town until the next day. Makes me !

Susan -- It was dark and gloomy here yesterday but we never did get any rain nor snow. Have fun at your quilting bee tonight. I had forgotten all about daylight savings time until you mentioned it. I wish they would pick one or the other and leave it year around! I don't like getting up in the dark!

I have bell choir tonight so had better think of supper pretty soon. Have a relaxing evening and a terrific Thursday tomorrow. I like these 4 day work weeks!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 02-19-2009, 02:00 PM   #11  

Good afternoon, ladies! We had a bunch of rain yesterday and during the night, and when I got up this morning the weather had warmed up and we're at 60 today with sunshine so I am happy!

Had a good time at quilting bee. We are always having a good time. We meet at the library and every once in a while we forget and get to laughing too loud and the librarian comes in to shush us.

Have a good evening, the boss calleth!
Old 02-19-2009, 02:59 PM   #12  
Thin Within

Talking

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

It is a springtime type day here in the heartland. I don't feel like "spring cleaning" though The mailman (who is a good guy and very prompt for he comes around the same time each day) left me two cookbooks. I will be having a page turning fest after I post. One is the All-New Complete Cooking Light cookbook and Weight Watchers' Five Star Recipes cook book. I love cookbooks and even do use them. Will is at the cancer answering place doing his Thursday afternoon answering the phones duty and I am home alone with Ragg Mopp who is being delighted with a new ball. He entertains himself by putting it in a box and picking up the box and shaking it till the ball falls out.

JEAN Sounds like you are winding down at school getting read for retirement. Believe me you will get used to it.

DONNA Be safe and enjoy yourself.....

SUSAN I am so happy for your enjoyment of your quilting bee get-togethers. Sounds like a good positive group you hang with.

Everyone have a lovely day. Type at y'all later. I am off to check out each page of my new books now.
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 05:43 PM   #13  

Good Afternoon, Flowers! I'm waiting impatiently for the blankety-blank mailperson to deliver our mail. It's a good thing I don't have mail that I wanted to leave town today because that would not happen as late as it is now. The lack of service makes me nuts! It was 3 degrees this morning but sunny and just a slight breeze. After yesterday's wind it is quite pleasant outside.

Susan -- I would love some 60 degree weather! I'd even enjoy some 40 degree weather! I'm glad you enjoyed your quilting bee last night. I had to at the librarian telling you to quiet down. I didn't think libraries were quiet anymore. The one at school sure isn't!

Maggie -- After you've had a chance to preview you new cookbooks, you will have to share any good sounding food ideas with us! I have several "old" church cookbooks and I know the ladies were good cooks, but I just enjoy looking at the books with pictures so much more. I'm looking forward to having more time to cook, believe it or not.

I need to change clothes and get in my comfy jeans and sweatshirt. I think it is Bob's night to cook. His mom fell and broke a bone in her wrist so will stop and see her too. Have a relaxing evening and a FANTASTIC Friday tomorrow!

Jean -- from Iowa!

Last edited by Jean; 02-19-2009 at 05:43 PM.
Old 02-20-2009, 07:05 PM   #14  

Good evening, ladies! The nice warm weather left in the night and its down in the 30s again...bummer!

Cleaned the kitchen today, made 2 quilt blocks that are going into a quilt 6 of us are making in memory of one of our friends who recently died. It will be donated to the quilts of valor in her name. Went grocery shopping (ugh) and got my hair trimmed. I though about getting it short and it was tempting, but I decided I wanted to let it grow. It needs about another inch to cover my ears which is what I want. I'd like to tuck it behind my ears for everyday but be able to do different things for church and other occasions "out."

Maggie, Let us know how the cookbooks are. I think I've bought all I'm going to for awhile. I need to make more of the recipes I have already earmarked.

Jean, if you are like the rest of us, you'll be busier after you retire than before. I cook in spurts, it seems. This week it was all grilled chicken or pork or salmon and a vegetable. Next week I have no idea what dinner will be. The quilt show begins on Wednesday so my friends and I will probably eat out every night because we'll be tired from being at the show and classes all day. If we don't, I'll probably eat frozen entrees. I take my lunch with me. They have food available there but it is too expensive when I could be using the money for quilt show shopping.

Have a good evening!
Old 02-20-2009, 10:26 PM   #15  

Good Evening, Flowers! It is a cold windy night in my neighborhood with a light dusting of snow around suppertime. The weather just can't seem to warm up and stay warm! It was a strange day at school in that there were a lot of subs for some reason. A "wild child" (that I get along with) had a couple of major run-ins with a teacher I call "Hopeless" (her name is Hope and she was new last year -- she is totally hopeless!) Anyhow, everything came to a head this afternoon and the student got up and walked out of the classroom. I knew where she went, but Hopeless didn't ask me and just reported her as being AWOL to the office. I have a meeting, along with another special ed. teacher, with the principal and asst. principal next week regarding "Hopeless" and how much the kids hate her so and openly defy her.

Susan -- Do you use a George F. grill for your meat? I have a small one but always seem to have meat that is too big to do both pieces at the same time. I need to get a haircut, but it hasn't even been a month since I got my perm. I think she left the back too long this time so it has grown out faster. Every time I go she charges me a different price! What a nice gesture to make a quilt in memory of your friend! I eat the WW frozen dinners at school a couple times a week. I should be watching the salt more carefully than I do, and I'm sure they are probably loaded.

I am heading to bed. I didn't sleep very well last night; I get to coughing and wake myself up. My head is stuffy so get up, blow my nose, go to the bathroom, and head back to bed. That makes for a short night after about 3 to 4 times! Hope you all have a great weekend!

Jean -- from Iowa!