Closed Thread

Old 09-18-2002, 03:53 PM   #1  

Arrow How often do you.....

weigh yourself? I become easily discouraged if I don't see the #'s going down on a regular basis, so this time around I vowed to only weigh myself twice each month and check measurments weekly. Is it better to weigh in daily, weekly, monthly......or just do what fits your own needs?

qiet-me
Old 09-18-2002, 04:31 PM   #2  

I think that you need to weigh in as often as you deem neccessary. I, personally, try to weigh in once a week at the same time. However, I will say that I do not always have that kind of will power and tend to weigh in sometimes several times a week. For me weighing in that often is BAD. I get easily discouraged and down on myself.
So, I believe that you should weigh yourself once a month, if you feel that is best for you.
Old 09-18-2002, 08:01 PM   #3  
missaprylj

I'd go crazy if I couldn't weigh myself once a week... every Thursday (eeek, that's tomorrow!!) morning, man. LOL. Sometimes, I sneek on at other times, but that's NEVER a good thing... so it's best to hop on after every however long you can go with out period passes... does that make sense? LOL. Well, it wouldn't be the first time I don't. LOL. Good Luck! -Apryl

Old 09-18-2002, 09:52 PM   #4  

Hi Denise Hi Apryl

I am so tempted to weigh myself tomorrow just for the heck of it because I checked my measurments and I've already lost one inch from my waist. One whole inch...amazing! I am so surprised...I measured again after dinner and it still says the inch is gone.
(woohoo!!)
Old 09-19-2002, 02:03 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 308/238/164

Height: 5'5.5"

Hi my name is Dyan, and I'm a scale-o-holic . I weigh myself 2-3 times a DAY. But i only count Saturday morning as my official weigh in day.
Old 09-19-2002, 10:41 AM   #6  
Losin It For GOOD!

Hi - I really honestly think its ok to weigh yourself as much as you need to, however it is CRITICAL that you weigh yourself at least at the same time each day. Your body weight fluctuates DRASTICALLY during the day regardless of what you eat. I actually gained and lost 10 lbs during the course of 24 hours one time.
Old 09-19-2002, 10:48 AM   #7  

I would say weigh yourself once a week (at about the same time if you can) as your "official" weigh-in. If you need/want to weigh yourself other times, fine, but remember that weight flucuates so easily throughout the day that the scale isn't always reflective of what's REALLY going on. JMO...

BTW, welcome!
Old 09-19-2002, 02:17 PM   #8  
1/2 Marathon May 15 2011

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'0"

I can't count how many times I weigh myself.. but almost everytime after I use the bathroom. Somewhere between 1-6 times a day. It doesn't hurt my weight loss efforts - I realize that I can gain 3 lbs in one day.. I look for a range.. and new lows.
I do a offical weigh in at weight watchers every week.
Old 09-19-2002, 11:29 PM   #9  
DNW

My therapist told me for me the scale is the devil since i judge each day by the numbers and that's not good for me...so i am weighing every 2-3 days wiuth a goal of eventually getting to one a month. For me it's like having a parent hawking me all the time...but i just can't seem to walk away....so addictive i am
Old 09-20-2002, 03:06 PM   #10  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

I bought my first scale last week. It's digital and I love it. I have a horrible horrible habit. Once a day.... it's agonizing. I'm like, "What?!?! How did I gain a half of a pound!!!"
Old 09-22-2002, 02:09 PM   #11  
hot mom wanna be!

Hi!
I weigh myself just about every day. First thing in the morning after going to the bathroom and butt naked!! I know if I have been doing well the scale will either stay the same or go down and of course the opposite is also true. I have learned not to FREAK when it seems to go up for no reason now. I usually can pin it on being pre-menstral or the salty food the day before something like that. Usually the next day or two the scale will be back to normal if I behave!!
So my answer...once a day!
laura
Old 09-23-2002, 02:00 PM   #12  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

I can't do it more than once a month. Anything more is just too depressing.
Old 09-23-2002, 02:10 PM   #13  

I think the frequency of your weigh-ins is a very personal thing. Some people can't handle weighing every day because it freaks them out the way those numbers jump around! On the other hand, sometimes weighing in once a week can be a bit misleading, even if it's the same day and time, because so many factors can influence your weight (hormones, water retention, etc.) - you could weigh every Saturday, for instance, and on a particular Saturday you might show that you've gone up a pound, but if you jumped on the scale Sunday morning it might show that you're two pounds lighter! Very, very frustrating!

As for me, I sometimes weigh first thing each morning, I'm just not ultra-consistent about it. I find I seem to weigh the least around noon! At one time, I did a process I read about in the Carbohydrate Addicts book ... you keep track of your weight on a chart, weighing at the same time each day. At the end of the week, you average your weights. This worked nicely for me at the time, and it seems a pretty accurate method as it sort of evens out your fluctuations. BUT if those ups and downs drive you crazy, it's probably not the way for you!

Just remember: while the weight is a good way to track your progress, it's not the be-all, end-all -- if it seems that way to you, maybe you need to do some head work on self image. It's best to use a combination of the weight, the measurements, your level of feeling good and the way your clothes fit!

Pen
Closed Thread