Old 02-14-2009, 06:41 PM   #1  

Default OT: Who here crochet's?

I recently took up crocheting. I'm making my boyfriend a blanket. I'm really getting into it & really love it. I was just wondering who else here crochets? This is my first project. So far its going alot pretty well. I'm only on the 3rd row though... I keep having to take out some because I keep adding extra stitches & losing stitches somehow.

I'm following a really easy pattern, but somehow I'm still managing to make a mess of it...

All & all its going good though.

I have noticed that it helps with my diet too! It keeps my mind & hands busy so I'm not thinking about food or snacking lol

Last edited by lalique; 02-14-2009 at 06:42 PM.
lalique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 06:50 PM   #2  
You can do it!!!!

S/C/G: 294/260/200

Height: 5'3

I do, I do!! I love it. I taught myeself a bout two years ago. I still screw easy things up. It totally helps with not snacking because you are playing with yarn and a hook! It is also a stress releaser...and meditative!
Monkeybabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 09:02 PM   #3  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I've been crocheting since I was 4 or 5 (I'm nearly 43), and I still have to count the stitches in every row, or I end up adding or subtracting stitches. Usually for me, the mistake is likely to occur in the beginning stitch in a row, or the end stitch. Fuzzy yarns or the worst, because they can hide where the stitch is supposed to go.

I also tended for many years to crochet trapezoids rather than squares. Even when my count was right, my gauge/tesion wasn't consistent (usually my bottom rows would be tighter than later rows) and my afghans, scarves etc would always bow out (or worse, bow in and out, in weird ways).

Ah, the memories.

A great crochet website is crochetpatterncentral.com The tips and techniques links are really good, and there are tons of free patterns from very easy to compex.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 01:00 AM   #4  

I've been looking all over crochetpatterncentral.com & other places trying to find the particular pattern I'm doing. But I can't seem to find it!! A friend taught me how to do it, but now I keep screwing up, so I thought it would be easier if I actually found the real pattern & read it...

I really don't know how to explain it other than "peaks & holes" (searched for something called that & found nothing though lol)... Its where you use all double crochets.. Every 11th stitch is either a peak (where you put 3 DC in one stitch), or a hole (where you skip stitches 11 & 12, then go on).. You add 2 stitches with the peaks, but lose them with the holes so it works out.. Or at least thats how its supposed to go! Somehow I just can't manage to do it right. Anyone know what the real name for this pattern is???

Last edited by lalique; 02-15-2009 at 01:00 AM.
lalique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 07:13 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 290/170/170

I've been a knitter for many, many years but steered away from crochet. However last month I saw the cutest sun hat in a magazine in a ribbon yarn and I just had to make it for my DD for our Florida vacation in a few weeks time. So I tried it and it came out wonderful, though i say it myself, and has given me the push to try more. I have a knitting project on the go atm so when I've finished this I'm going to do a top for my DD which is both knitted and crochet. I don't know why I didn't try earlier, its just that patterns looked so foreign compared with the knitting ones I'm used to but once i got started I found it easy to follow.

Kitty
KforKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 10:00 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 289/278.8/155

Height: 5'7"

I crochet and knit, I knit a lot mostly sweaters and clothing. My mother taught me how to crochet when I was little, for crochet I like to do fine crochet like doilies and placemats, and some of the sweaters I knit have crocheted lace edges, which turn out so pretty.

I learned to knit in 1st grade so many years ago. I think both are wonderful and it is true, they help keep your hands busy. I think I need to become a ferocious knitter so I will have an easier time staying on plan!!
Scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 10:45 AM   #7  

I said that by the time I'm 40 I want to learn how to knit or crochet and learn how to sew more than rectangles. I'm 39...so I better hurry up!

I'd love to make a pair of knit longies for my son. There are a bunch of WAHM who make them and they are expensive!!!
debnboyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 01:26 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 289/278.8/155

My mother sent me to a kid's class when I was in 1st grade, that's how I learned. If you have any good yarn stores in your area, they will offer beginner knit and crochet classes---and help you along the way once you start to make something.

It isn't always cheaper to knit something, but if you're a smart shopper you can always get your yarn online which is cheaper. Mostly it's just a great thing to do and so relaxing, and then you have something unique when you're done!
Scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 10:41 PM   #9  
Feelin' Sassafrassy

S/C/G: 317/271/165

Height: 6'0''

I love to crochet!!!

I am still a basic straight lines only girl but I love making things for people. I have made several baby blankets for friends and family. I crotchet hats too. I love doing it, it is also such a stress reliever for me, though sometimes my hands hurt from doing it so much tit for tat I guess. I still cant read a pattern to save my life, I have to see it done to be able to do it.

I would looooove to learn to knit, in some cases its is so much prettier than crocheting I think.

Last edited by Bee20nine; 02-15-2009 at 10:43 PM.
Bee20nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 09:54 AM   #10  

I do both, crochet and knit. I think my preference is knitting though. My current project is a pair of "frankenmitts" - fingerless gloves with a mitten flap to go over the fingers. It's driving me insane though. It's a hard pattern, complicated by the fact that it also has a fair isle color pattern. Ugh, they're going to take forever!
hautbois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 10:53 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 335.8/335.8/150

Height: 5'6''

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalique View Post
I've been looking all over crochetpatterncentral.com & other places trying to find the particular pattern I'm doing. But I can't seem to find it!! A friend taught me how to do it, but now I keep screwing up, so I thought it would be easier if I actually found the real pattern & read it...

I really don't know how to explain it other than "peaks & holes" (searched for something called that & found nothing though lol)... Its where you use all double crochets.. Every 11th stitch is either a peak (where you put 3 DC in one stitch), or a hole (where you skip stitches 11 & 12, then go on).. You add 2 stitches with the peaks, but lose them with the holes so it works out.. Or at least thats how its supposed to go! Somehow I just can't manage to do it right. Anyone know what the real name for this pattern is???
Are you thinking of a ripple pattern?? Does the end result end up in a zig-zag design? This sounds like it night be what you are doing.
econ nerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 10:59 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 335.8/335.8/150

Height: 5'6''

I crochet and knit but crochet is my preferred craft. I mostly do afghans (adult and baby) but also make some clothing.

In another online forum for crochet there is a group that is doing a weight loss afghan CAL (crochet-along). We (myself included) are choosing a pattern and making a select number of rows or squares for every so many pounds we lose. I am making the Crochet Dude's Monet Afghan in Lion Brand Suede (found some for a fabulous sale) and am making one square for every five pounds I lose (it will be 16 squares or 80 pounds worth). We all thouhg we would need something nice and warm for our slimmer bodies

Any interest in starting up a thread for that here? And in what area should a thread like this be placed??
econ nerd is offline   Reply With Quote