Old 02-09-2009, 06:07 AM   #1  

Default Steel Magnolias #10

Good morning to you ladies! Had to finally give up and come downstairs as my back was killing me. Fortune came down with me so I let him out and thought I would sit here and go ahead and post. Fortune can't decide where he wants to sit and sleep I guess. He has been on both ends of the couch jumped off and lay on a blanket on the floor and back to the couch and is now back to the blanket! lol

I cleaned the whole downstairs yesterday, put in a roast carrots and potatos for dinner and then Jack, Fortune and I all loaded ourselves into the Mariner, gassed it up and went for a Sunday drive. It was really nice. Fortune was in his brace/seatbelt in his little carseat so he could see out, be safe and enjoy himself without being all over the place. We opened the sunroof and just enjoyed driving through the country. We came back, I put the rolls on the stove to raise and we ate dinner about an hour later so it ended a very nice day.

My little guy is sick again with cold, runny stools, fever and such. He gets ear infections like his daddy did so I imagine it won't be long and the tonsils will probably have to come out and tubes in his ears. They do it sooner now than they used to. He is also probably cutting more teeth. He is 20 months old so he may be trying to get those 2 year old molars in. Jay just says he is miserable.

Maggie: Refreshing to hear truthful preaching, isn't it? Everyone seems to want to slip and slide around it and be politically correct about everything. Sounds like you had a good time. I miss our church friends and go out after Sunday church to lunch with them. They were all our parents' age, but we enjoyed them immensely. I think Thomas will get a kick out of the stickers. They are those puffy style and they started falling off the bag so I just stapled some of them on as best I could since I didn't have any glue.

Jean: It was absolutely gorgeous here yesterday. It got up to the mid 70's. Felt just like glorious spring, which I can't wait to get here. We bought a drink to share and opened the windows and sunroof, turned on sirius radio to 60's on 6 and had a grand time. I told Jack we had to enjoy it as it would only last until around Thursday then cool down some and when we went to Indiana it wasn't likely the sunroof would get opened unless we wanted it to snow on us. We can use the heated side mirrors then! lol

Well, Jack is stirring getting ready for work so he should be down soon. I am tackling part of the upstairs today and the rest tomorrow. I now have one sleeve ready to attach to the sweater and will do the other one today so I can attach it in the next couple days. I am hoping my yarn for T's sweater comes today so I can start it.

Have a good week everyone!
Faye
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 11:46 AM   #2  

Good morning, ladies! Another spring-like day today.

Faye, you skipped #10 for the thread. Or maybe I missed it. The boys will love their Valentine goodies. Poor Jackson! I had throat and ear troubles, too and it's no fun. We had some truthful preaching, too. Father mentioned the forbidden "A" word. People actually got up and left in a huff. But it is against our religious teachings except in cases of incest, rape, or the mother's health.
It came up because there was a big rally in Washington which received nothing in press or news coverage.

Jean, we have Smithfield Packing here - hogs. We also have a lot of workers who come to do seafood.

Maggie, we sometimes go out for a late breakfast after church. It's always fun to go in a group.

Well, work is calling so I better get busy!
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 07:29 PM   #3  

Good Evening, Flowers! I had a dentist appointment after school; "no cavities, $69 please, and see you in 6 months!" It has been a windy, rainy, warm day in my neighborhood. It's 51 degrees right now and we are in a wind advisory for tonight. I hope the electricity stays on!

"Gma" -- I could just about enjoy your Sunday ride from you description! I know exactly what Jackson is going through; Jason and I spent many, many nights rocking and waiting for the doctor's office to open the next day. He'd just get over one round of cold and ear infection only to start the next one. He never had his tonsils out but did have the tubes. For whatever reason they did take his adenoids out.

Susan -- I looked for #10 too! Hope you had a good day at work! Mondays are always pretty "ho hum" this semester. We have Friday off (I think someone goofed when they made out the calendar) and also next Monday. I'm looking forward to the long weekend but it will be cleaning and cooking for the troops to come on Saturday to celebrate birthdays. I have card club here on Monday night so will have to clean and cook some more.

I hope you all have a relaxing evening and a terrific Tuesday tomorrow!

Jean -- from Iowa!

Last edited by Jean; 02-09-2009 at 07:29 PM.
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 06:06 AM   #4  

Good grief I must be losing it. When I see we are at #18 or above, I leave that connection open and then open another one so I can toggle back and forth to see information so I can post and get the set up right then I goofed it! You are going to have to drum me out of the thread starting union! I sent one of the moderators an email and ask her to change it for us.

We have another warm day ahead of us. I ran an errand yesterday and had a grand time with the windows all open and the sun roof and the radio on.

Susan: Thanks for being such a peach and closing the other thread. I could get on my about the nonsense of women spouting off about their bodies being their own, etc, etc. In this day and age pregnancy shouldn't even be an "oops" kind of thing. These same women think they are so intelligent and liberated but then are too stupid to take contraceptives. I know the catholic church doesn't take kindly to that either, but truthfully it is the only way to prevent pregnancy and the numbskull women from killing babies. Why they try to say it isn't a living being puzzles me as an egg is living and sperm are living and they combine so you would assume that the combination isn't dead! I mean like placing a seed in the ground, just because you don't see a flower right away doesn't mean it isn't growing in the ground. It is the one issue that I go three rounds with anybody about. lol

Jean: Wow, Jean must be using her Crest, remember "Look mom, no cavities!" lol We were windy yesterday too, but really warm. It is supposed to rain yesterday and my rain indicators (my knees) said so too, though it hasn't started yet. Jackson's dad had trouble from day one until they took his tonsils, adenoids and put tubes in when he was 4 so I know what they are going through and the poor little one too. Jack has Monday off then works Tues and Wed then goes to work on Thursday and like he said, "long enough to do the Soduku puzzle" and he comes home and we leave for Indiana. He had to work on Saturday so is taking comp time. He gets 4 hours of overtime at time and a half if he gets called in to work even if he only is there 5 minutes. On Saturday afternoon he got called in and went in and switched a couple switches on and had everything working again and came home. The mechanic working on a conveyor didn't know why it wouldn't stay on auto and Jack said it was because of such and such and went and turned something on, waited until it timed out then it automatically turned on the conveyor. Voila, we now can leave at 9 AM on Thursday! lol

I have the second sleeve done on the sweater and am going to knit the hood then leave everything until I come back after being in Indiana to knit it together. Stuff like that needs concentration because you are decreasing a lot in a single row and such so I don't want to be somewhere I can't have quiet and such. My yarn for T's sweater will be here today or tomorrow so I can take it and knit on it while I am in Indiana.

Well, Jack should be up so I guess I better go. Have a great day today!
Faye
Old 02-10-2009, 11:07 AM   #5  

Good morning, ladies! Spring day again here!

Jean, We'll give you a sticker for getting a good dental check up! A four day weekend sounds ideal to me.

Faye, I'm with you on when life begins. I'm glad that yahoo woman who had the octuplets is being investigated and she sure won't be getting a lot of endorsements and paid interviews and free baby stuff. People are against her being rewarded for having babies she has no way to care for. I hope child services keeps a close watch on them. I once asked a priest about birth control. He asked me if I thought God could do anything. Of course I did. Then he said, so if God wants you to have a baby, you will even if you are taking birth control. It made me think of the tubal ligations and vascetomies that seem to "fail" and the woman turns up pregnant. Now stepping off my

I have quilt guild tonight and dinner with 2 of my friends before hand.

Have a great day!
Old 02-10-2009, 04:52 PM   #6  
Thin Within

Talking Tuesday

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

I love my Chef's Catalogue for it has a lot of things that I used to have and had to give away when we didn't have the space plus other things I didn't have but now have a use for. Now I get to replace the ones I will surely use and they will be new plus other ones also. Don't gasp now but todays order is a deep fryer. Well I know about fried foods but...this little puppy uses half the fat and rotates the food so it absorbs 50% less than conventional deep frying. Will used to do his french fries in it and wanted one again and I will use it for other things also of course. Next I want to get the all in one multi cooker that pressure cooks, slow cooks, steams and browns. Then before our garden which we will plant when the weather is right for it we will get the Dehydrator that does fruit, veggies, herbs, jerky and even makes yogurt. That is the plan as it stands. I got my hair cut today and it is short and I feel clean once again.

DONNA I didn't see a thing wrong with your starting #11 instead of #10
for didn't we do that occasionally in the "olden days?" You really didn't have to go to the trouble to get it changed for we found it. It is warm here also and feels like Spring. We are thinking of what to plant and where to plant it already. You are coming right along with that sweater. I think it a good idea to do take the workings of your next project along with you to Indiana.

SUSAN Life begins at coception. When "invetro" came along it sure opened up a sticky wicket so to speak.

JEAN on your checkup. My insurance pays for checkups once a year and cleanings every 6 months. I am so glad I don't have to pay up front. We even have "piggy back" dental that pays anything the regular insurance doesn't. I need to find a dentist here and get mine cleaned for it has been a bit over 6 months and since it doesn't cost me to go I should go.

Everyone have a lovely evening. Type at y'all later.
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 09:25 PM   #7  

Good Evening, Flowers! It was a sunny "warm" day in my neighborhood. The wind was blowing so it wasn't as nice as it could have been -- was a "no coat" after school kind of afternoon.

"Gma" -- I can imagine how anxious you are to head off to Indiana! I hope the weather is good while you are there. It's nice that Jack got the extra time off so you can leave early. We lost a lot of snow today. Our back yard is bare . . . and ugly. Someone at school said they saw a robin! It is too soon for them to be coming back north although I guess they will eat bird seed if the worms aren't available.

Susan -- I'm sure you are enjoying your evening with your quilting friends. What did you have good for supper?

Maggie -- You will enjoy using all of your new kitchen "toys!" It's a good thing you like to cook. We had dental insurance for awhile when the kids were still home and it didn't cover much on root canals and crowns. They didn't need braces so Bob decided it was cheaper to pay the bills rather than the premium.

I think I will figure out what I'm wearing tomorrow and head for bed. Have a nice evening and a wonderful Wednesday tomorrow!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 02-11-2009, 06:17 AM   #8  

Good morning gals! This crazy weather sure has my adenoids swollen again this morning. I went to be last night and it was so hot I asked Jack to turn on the AC. It is 70 degrees here right now and very balmy.

Susan: I'd be curious how the woman and her husband afforded fertility drugs. Insurance companies usually won't pay for them if you already have multiple children. I haven't read stories about her as she irritates me too much. I feel for those poor babies though and the 6 other children she has at home. I have seen the Duggers from Ark and several other families that have huge numbers of children and they take proper care of their kids with love, clean clothing, food, etc, but this lady just doesn't fit the bill of people like that. I know nothing about this woman, but seems to me she is doing this for very selfish reasons and I find that really repugnant. Hope you had fun with your quilting friends. I received the yarn for T's sweater and though I was hoping the beige to be a bit darker, I knitted up a striped swatch and it looks good. I am trying to get the seed stitch done for the bottom back and I have to use #3 needles. It is killing my hands and I will be glad when I have the 10 rows done so I can change to 6's. I may never be able to do socks because I really have problems with the very tiny needles. My hands really ache working with them.

Maggie: Sounds like you have a plan for your small appliances. I have a variety too and like all the ones I have. I have one of those Popeil rotisseries I got for Christmas one year but don't use it a whole lot as the clean up is not as easy as they say. I make rotisserie style chicken in the oven and it comes out just as nice. The lady that helps me with stuff on our thread is a real sweety and she was glad to do it. It was no big deal. I have a haircut and nails to do next week before we leave. I can always tell when it is getting a bit too long as it is harder to make it stand up! lol

Jean: We haven't taken a road trip since last Sept when we were supposed to go to Houston and went to St Louis instead. We are antsy to take the new car out on the highway and give her some gas! lol She is finally acknowledging me and I found out some stuff I didn't know. Jack had not made my cell phone the primary so my "address" book wasn't put into the sync and that is why she wouldn't dial for me. It wasn't her fault so I had to apologize to her.... We are supposed to go to dinner with the kids tomorrow night so I am looking forward to that as I have all T's Valentine stuff to give him. I will probably get raised eyebrows from mom for giving him $20 but since it is a holiday gift giving she won't chastise me for it.

Oh, I have to show you the pattern for something I am going to whip up for Jay and Alicia for their anniversary, which is April 10. I am using different colors to match her decor but I think these are adorable. Here they are with the colors I chose instead.

Jack is in the shower and will be down soon so I need to get off here. Have a nice hump day. I am hoping maybe maybe the weather will continue to stay warm, but I have my doubts.

Faye
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kkc-brightplacematsa.jpg (51.0 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 760-136a.jpg (37.1 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 760-159a.jpg (40.2 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg 760-180a.jpg (32.9 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg yhst-35918166028110_2039_91090324.jpg (16.6 KB, 1 views)

Last edited by gma22; 02-11-2009 at 06:23 AM.
Old 02-11-2009, 03:42 PM   #9  
Thin Within

Talking Wednesday

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS

It is a beautiful sunny day here in the heartland and just a gentle breeze is blowing making it quite pleasant. Sure makes us want to get started on planting a garden. Did buy some white and yellow sweet corn seed though. We want to plant some blackberry bushes but they won’t be in till March so we will get them then. We will have a wonderful garden you just wait for you will probably hear all about it. Since our economy is surely going to tank before it gets better it is a good idea that we will be raising some stuff that I can dehydrate for future use. Nothing like being prepared and it is cost effective to do that anyway even if things don’t tank like the indications show. I just got a neat surprise. I just turned to stretch and looked up at a shelf that is on the wall to my left with all my dolls looking down at me and there on the end sits a red teddy bear with white bottomed feet with red hearts on them. He is holding a white satin pillow edged with pretty lace with a red heart in the middle with “love” embroidered above it. Will heard me from his office and came in when I said “WOW” and said he wondered how long it would take me to notice it. He put it up there last night after I had vacated this room. He had already given me a couple of small bears, a girl and a boy holding hands in a neat valentine see through container. They are white so I left them in their see through container up on my “bear” shelf. AH, he loves me and I do believe he is a keeper.

JEAN Don’t sunny and warm days make a welcome change. Ah, but the wind sweeps across the flatlands. A robin, wow, so early also. Our dental insurance is just $15 a month which isn’t bad at all for all we get for it. We get a good deal since I have “safety retirement.”

DONNA Air conditioner weather ~ ah, yes I do remember that TN has it’s share of humidity. Such small knitting needles to work with would tire anyone out I’m sure. I once had one of those rotisseries and got it as a gift and then gifted it on because I could tell it would take too much cleaning than would be worth it to me since I also can bake chicken so tasty. I love those place mats in the colors you have chosen. If she doesn’t like or want them tell her that I will be happy to buy them from you.

SUSAN Hope your day is going well with you.

Time for me to go do something constructive. Type at y’all later.
Old 02-12-2009, 04:31 AM   #10  

Good morning ladies. I am still having adenoids issues, nothing serious just swelling so it makes it hard to sleep and I decided to give it up and come downstairs. I can always nap a bit today if need be.

We are having dinner with the kids tonight and I look forward to that. I am going to give T his valentine stuff. It is only about a month until they go on their cruise and I know he has to be getting excited. Me, I as usual, am nervous about him traveling out of the country and this time on a ship besides, but that is what a grandma does, is worries.

Maggie: Tell you what, when I get all my knitting projects done again, I will make you a set and send them to you and you can pick the colors yourself. When I get the time, I will send you the link to the color card for the yarn I use and that way, your colors will match your decor. It is straight garter stitch so I imagine they will whip up pretty fast. The only thing that will take time is the fringe.

That goes for anyone else that would want them too. I am hoping to make this cute gingham set that has a pocket for the napkin for my younger sister for her birthday instead of the jacket I was going to make, since I am running out of time and have a lot of projects to do. Her birthday and the kids anniversary is the same day and then the boys birthdays are only 2 weeks apart so basically I have to have things done in bunches! lol I did decide to forgoe the hood on Jackson's jacket as I just saw the thing has no drawstring or ties and that won't do for a little one. I decided to make him an earflap hat to match so have started it. I also have a start on the back of T's sweater now and have the size 3 seed stitch done so am on the stockinette, on size 6 which is much easier for me.

Nothing else going on here. We are just antsy to go on our trip next week. I know Jack wishes this week would end. He is having his back pains again and the stuff they give him for it knocks him out so he can't take it during the day and the advil only helps so much. I think it is just a bit of strain from working as it does goe away.

Well gals, you all have a great Thursday. It won't be long until spring is here, thank goodness!
Faye
Old 02-12-2009, 11:31 AM   #11  

Good morning, ladies. A sunny spring day today!

Faye, love those placemats! I know you'll enjoy dinner with Thomas et al. I have a sock pattern that uses size 5 needles. Can you use them okay?

Maggie, You sure have a keeper in you DH. Stan has bought me many teddy bears over the years. I'd love to have a garden again, but the wild life eat it all before I get any.

Jean, isn't it nice to have a respite from cold weather. My daffodils and hyacinths are poking up.

Have a great day!
Old 02-12-2009, 05:47 PM   #12  

Good Afternoon, Flowers! I never made it here last night. I had bell choir at 6 and then went to a make-up, "make your face look younger" party. They started at 6:30 so by the time I got there their make-up was off and they were trying the products. It's very pricey stuff but there is a candle that has an oil in it; when it melts you dip a finger in the melted oil and rub around your fingernails, winter cracked skin, etc. Bob's secretary gave him one for Christmas so now I know how much she likes him! Actually, she had a candle at work and he kept using it so she bought him his own.

"Gma" -- I hope you have an enjoyable evening with Thomas and family. I know you will. He will get a kick out of the hamster stickers. I did happen to see part of an interview with the CA mother and then read the same info in the paper. She is living on food stamps and disability checks that she gets for 3 of her children. One is autistic and they didn't say what the other two have. She said she has $50,000 in school loans. There is no husband but the same donor for all of the children and he knows about the last 8. What is wrong with this picture and for heaven's sake the doctor who helped her along the way? I hope the DHS steps in! I love the placemats! I hope Jack is feeling better; an aching back is no fun!

Susan -- I don't have any flowers coming up and I hope they don't. I'm sure we will get more winter. There is a storm coming in south of us and they are to get 10 - 12" of snow. I hope it stays south! I have a lot I want to get done tomorrow!

Maggie -- I'd say you have a special Valentine by the name of Will! I have a few stuffed animals around because the grandchildren latch on to them. I'm not sure if I would notice a new one right away or not. I'll bet you are anxious to start your garden. I love the end result but have never had much of a garden; I bought pole beans by mistake when we lived in our other house. The rabbits thought they tasted pretty good!

I'm so glad to be done with school for the week. It was a long day! Have a nice evening and a fantastic Friday tomorrow!

Jean -- from Iowa!

Last edited by Jean; 02-12-2009 at 05:49 PM.
Old 02-13-2009, 12:54 PM   #13  

Good Morning, Flowers! It is a cold gloomy day in my neighborhood, but so far no snow nor rain. I made one grocery run to the "cheap" store and will make another run to the more expensive store after lunch. The first store is smaller so doesn't carry some of the items I need. I have started the weekend laundry so hope to get most of that done today. I wonder if I can get back into the habit of washing during the week once I'm not in school.

Where is everyone today? I can't remember being the first one here for a very long time!

I need to keep moving. Have a GREAT day and adjust your attitude accordingly.

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 02-14-2009, 12:28 AM   #14  
Thin Within

Talking Friday De 13th

GOOD LATE EVENING MAGNOLIAS

It has been quite busy around here. Some friends have gone to CO and we are dog setting out at their place. No big deal they have that invisible fencing so he stays at home in the yard and a doggie door into the garage when he wants. We just need to give him some human attention and fresh food and water. I am planning on what to take to Sunday for our pot-luck then that evening out to a friends after evening services for a valentine dinner. I am going to make some lip shaped cookies with red sprinkles on top to take and something else which I don't have a clue yet.

SUSAN Ever thought of growing a garden with that light weight screening over the plants to keep the birds and critters out? We have chipmunks, squirrels and rabbits in our back yard and an ocasional who knows what else lurks out there at night. We have some screening.

DONNA Hope Jack and his back are feeling better. I know about back pain and it can really put a person down. Girlfriend I would love to have a set of placemats. Now you decide what you want in payment. Do you want me to pay for your time and materials or would you like me to make a glass something for you? Box, house, windchime or something else ~ you name it. We can deal.

JEAN I have always kept my stuffed animals up on shelves to keep little hands and animals off of them. I say they are "Mommies" toys. Ragg Mopp loves to come in here and gaze up at them. Little children that come over here are not allowed in my shop because of the glass ~ so they don't even tempt them.

Have a lovely evening folks. Type at y'all later
Old 02-14-2009, 02:50 AM   #15  

I am up late and realized I never posted today. I went out early on Friday and I guess with everything I just forgot. I left home at 9 to go get my haircut and on the way a semi through a rock at my window and cracked it on the new car!!! I was mad and cried all the way to the hair place. I got ahold of Jack and had him call about our car warranty but of course it isn't covered. I do have some kind of mechanical something or other on my insurance for the new car so I could get it repaired for $50 which the insurance covered, but that did not remove the chip, just repaired it. I am getting the windshield replaced when we get home. It is over $400 but again the insurance covers all but $50. As for the Grand marquis, it doesn't have the same mechanical thing and you can't get it because of the age, etc of the car. The windshield costs $208 to replace and out deductible is $250 so we will just have to pay to replace it. That too will wait until we get back from Indiana.

Jean: We had a nice time with the kids. I got tickled at the waitress. Of course she didn't know about T's eating habits and when he ordered crab legs and got vinegarette on his salad she said how surprised she was. Of course we had to tell her he eats like that all the time, etc, etc. He had on a tshirt that had a picture of a pizza then a "more than" sign and then veggies. I was confused about it as he eats veggies more than pizza that is for sure. He said it was "opposite day" at school. Ahhhhhhh......

Susan: I imagine I can use 5's. Since I knit sweaters mostly, I use 6 and up more than anything, thought I have 0's which look like long toothpicks to me! lol I am kind of surprised my tree isn't budding with the amount of warm weather we are having. I noticed it is going to be in the 20's while we are in Indiana UGH!

Maggie: I have two cats that look like Butterscotch and a bear that Thomas had made for me at Build a bear back when he was a toddler. She is in a purple shirt and little short pants. She even has a birth certificate. I have more lucy stuff than anything and that is all up in the spare bedroom.

Well gals, I am going to watch some tv and probably fall asleep. It is rainy here so my knees, hands and such were kind of achy last night so I wasn't sleeping very well.

Have a fun Saturday and Happy Valentine's Day to you all!