Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-13-2009, 01:28 PM   #1  
Ija
Extra gluten

S/C/G: 286/135/135

Default Niece sent Valentine candy

Shortly after arriving at work today I found a big package with my name written in pink waiting in the mail room. I suspected it was from my 3-year-old niece, who sends me a Valentine every year (with the help of my brother and sister-in-law, of course). Last year they sent me lots of candy, but I figured that this time around they would be mindful of the fact that I don't eat giant bags of peanut M&Ms anymore. After all, I've been back home to see them a few times in the last year, and they know all about my new lifestyle (not to mention that I've lost about 90 pounds during this interval). So, what did they send me?

A giant bag of peanut M&Ms (and some other Valentine's Day sweets...)

So, two questions... First, what to do with the candy? And second, why on Earth do people not "get it?"
Ija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 01:35 PM   #2  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

Wow..well, listen my Dear Mother in Law sent 8 pounds, yes POUNDS of chocolate covered everything at Christmas KNOWING I was doing all I could to get in shape. (I never discussed it with her but she saw me in November). I packed it all up and sent it to Dear Hubby's work. The men there loved me!

I would go right back into that breakroom and open it up and put it out for everyone to enjoy. Give yourself a big pat on the back, freshen up your lipstick and get back to work.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 01:35 PM   #3  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

First, on what to do with the candy - it's already at work. Put it in a dish in the break room or mail room. Others can enjoy and you'll keep it off of your desk.

As for why people don't "get it" - well, I can only speak from my perspective here, but I believe people are just trying to do something nice, and the bag of candy is "nice" for them. It's what they'd give to anyone they wanted to send a valentine's wish to. I doubt they're sending teeny bags to everyone but you, and sending a giant bag to tempt you, you know?

I try to take these things as what they are, a nice gesture, and recognize a couple of things: one, it is no one's job to keep me on-plan and avoiding temptation other than my own (this includes the people passing around brownies at the office and the people offering me another piece of cake at dinner parties), and two, just because I have self control issues does not mean others have the same issues or even realize that I have them. Someone with a "normal" relationship with M&Ms could probably have a few a day and leave it at that. I can't - I eat the whole bag - because I have a bad relationship with that food. But other people can't know that, or be responsible for that...that's my job.

Just my 2 cents!
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 01:36 PM   #4  

Height: 5' 6

They probably are just thinking that you deserve a treat after your great job of weight loss. They don't mean anything harmful from it, plus, if they didn't send you candy, what would they send?
I would just thank them for the gift and then put it in the breakroom at work for everyone to eat. If you can't do that, then see if you have a co-worker who wants to take it home.
MandiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 01:47 PM   #5  
Ija
Extra gluten

I know that it was meant as a nice gesture... I guess I was just hoping that by this point they would understand that I don't want the candy anymore, and that it's actually kind of a burden to me now. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the thought so much (I seriously have the best family in the world), it's just not easy having your biggest trigger food sent to your doorstep topped with a big ribbon. I guess you're right though, Mandalinn, nobody else is responsible for me but me....

Thanks all for your suggestions

Last edited by Ija; 02-13-2009 at 01:48 PM.
Old 02-13-2009, 01:54 PM   #6  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Drina - to them, though, it isn't "your biggest trigger food". It's just something they know you enjoy.

It blows my mind that people exist out there who can have a bag of peanut m&ms around and have a small amount each day (which isn't going to be a health-ruiner for anyone...the calories would fit easily into most days if you planned for them). I am not one of those people (and if it's your biggest trigger food, you're not either) but if you ARE one of those people, you tend not to see the issue. That's why if you brought it up, you'd get an answer like "We sent them because we figured you could have a few each day as a little bonus". Which, for normal people, works out fine. For me? TRAINWRECK. The bag would be gone in a day.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 03:09 PM   #7  
Fancy Shmancy bo Bancy

S/C/G: 168/115/110 Now: 129/129/105

Height: 5'2"

There are tons of people out there who can eat candy and be absolutely fine, like mandalinn said. I personally can eat small amounts of chocolate and not really feel compelled to down the entire bag. When we get into chips, though, that's a whole other animal.

Holidays are a special occasion, because these are the opportunities relatives and loved ones take to splurge on eachother, and indulge a little bit for themselves. Sometimes we have to step back from our diet **** ways and just allow people to enjoy tradition without feeling like we're surrounded by bad influence or lack of support. I mean, it's not every day that people send you temptation by mail!

And hey, it's a great opportunity to get some popularity points with coworkers. "Hey, Drina's so awesome, she just put out a giant bag of M&M's for everyone". Score!

I had to do that last week when a friend sent me brownies for my birthday, in the mail no less! It was kind of an inside joke between us, and he even told me he didnt expect me to eat one. (Now THAT may have been a little cruel, lol.) But I took them to work, and temptation fled quickly as my coworkers lit up at the sight of nut-covered dessert items sitting on the back table.

That's right. I'm da bomb.
RedPorcupine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 03:10 PM   #8  
Fancy Shmancy bo Bancy

S/C/G: 168/115/110 Now: 129/129/105

Height: 5'2"

Wow, it just starred out a word that wasn't even a curse. Talk about censorship to the max.
RedPorcupine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 03:14 PM   #9  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

Yeah I told my hubby please no candy this year.

Though I did give everyone mini candies for valentines at work (200 calories only!)- but as far as I know I'm the only one on a diet in the whole building lol.

It's funny cuz at my work people seem to try harder than at home- my coworkers know to not offer me anything anymore lol since I keep saying "no thank you."

I'd just tell your little neice thank you so much and don't even say you didn't eat them- they don't need to know

Oh and I am DOUBLE screwed here- chocolate and chips are my trigger

Last edited by beerab; 02-13-2009 at 03:14 PM.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 03:27 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

I got a ton of candy from my coworkers at Christmas. I was pretty mystified. I've worked here a year, I eat salad every day for lunch and I don't eat candy (I mean rarely, yes, but hardly EVER at work!). I had 2 Godiva truffles and gave all the rest away.

I'm sure it's not a case of sabotage or cruelty, it's Valentine's Day, a holiday associated with chocolate.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 05:31 PM   #11  
nirvikalpa samadhi

S/C/G: 369.5/ticker/169.5

Height: 5'8"

They sent it to you because they love you. Call them, thank them, give it away.
DCHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 05:40 PM   #12  
Ija
Extra gluten

Thanks DC, I did... then I gave the M&M's away. Maybe next year I'll ask someone else to open the box and do a screening for me

Last edited by Ija; 02-13-2009 at 05:41 PM.
Old 02-13-2009, 05:55 PM   #13  
Operator265

When something goes well at work, we get food. So many days without a Loss Time Incident=Pizza. Monthly Safety Meeting=Pizza. Kick *** on the Blast Pattern=Breakfast Burritos. Every Friday on day shift=Breakfast Burrito(these are huge, potato stuffed yummies). And, when I say "No thanks" to folks who know darned good and well that I'm losing weight, I get hurt feelers.

They just don't realize that I now need to plan my "free" days in advance. They want to show their appreciation. My X was really bad about not using gifts I got him. My feelings would get hurt too. Isn't "re-gifting" considered a 3rd Degree Misdemeanor in this country. Don't matter if the other person actually needed it and you didn't.

Same thing happens with alcoholics who meet up with folks to socialize. "Oh, just one won't hurt." Well, yes it will. They're not always trying to undermine(although there are those folks out there), they're just trying to say, "I love you no matter what."
Old 02-13-2009, 06:04 PM   #14  
Learning to love myself.

Height: 5' 7"

I am in two minds about this.

First of all, it sounds as though they love you very much, and they probably don't have any idea just what you 'can' and 'can't' have in your new, healthier, lifestyle. When they saw you, you may not have actually let them know HOW you had been losing weight. Many people have not had to face this, so don't understand how you are changing your eating habits.

But!!! I also get a little disappointed with people around me if they still give me chocolates or candy, as it shows me that they are not really 'inventive' with their gift ideas. Pretty much everyone around me knows that I don't eat that sort of stuff, as I TELL them often enough when they ask me how I have lost the weight. So when I get candy etc., I just feel as though they have taken the 'easy' route and grabbed the same old usual thing that they give to others. I love it when I can see that obvious thought has been put into a gift. For example, my students may get me something purple, knowing it is my favourite colour, or a teddy, knowing that I LOVE teddies, or something to do with Winnie the Pooh, as they know that he is my absolute favourite bear of all. Things like that mean a lot more to me because of the thought they have put into looking for something ESPECIALLY for me.

OK... off my soapbox now.

I hope you find a good use for those candies, other than on your waistline.
ZedAus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 06:25 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 220/204/190

Height: 5'4

I'm glad I'm not the only one going through this! (no offence lol). I came home to a box of about 30 gourmet cookies on my doorstep. My aunt always sends these to my mother and I for holidays and such. Needless to say I was absolutely livid. My aunt has no idea that I have started this new healthy lifestyle, so I guess it's not really her fault, and it was a nice thought. But after that I got into the disgust that people give people food to show there love and how much they care about a person.

I am however very proud of the fact that I not only did not have any of the cookies, but they dont really apeal to me, at all. Which is great .

As to what to do with the M&Ms, maybe you can put a bowl of them out for everyone at your office. I'm sure they will enjoy them. Good luck on trying not to give into the temptation. Your better then that. They may (or may not) taste good, but will do more damage then good.

Last edited by x0me880x; 02-13-2009 at 06:27 PM.
x0me880x is offline   Reply With Quote