Old 02-12-2009, 10:08 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 265/211/130

Height: 5'6"

Default Buying a treadmill

I did my taxes last week and it looks like I can finally buy myself a treadmill. I'm not entirely sure what to look for though. Everything I have found online says that it's a waste of money unless I spend $1500+ on a treadmill. Unfortunately, I really can go much over $500. Are the less expensive treadmills really so inferior that I'm going to waste my money buying a cheaper model? I was just wondering if anyone else has treadmill purchased for under $500 that is happy with their purchase and if your not happy with the purchase why? I'm just wondering if there are issues with the less expensive models, if they are going to be something I can live with.
WildThings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 10:10 PM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I'd suggest perusing the exercise equipment forum. There is a sticky on consumer reports 2005 report on treadmills.
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=213

I'd disagree that you need to spend $1500+ on a treadmill, thats probably more true for an elliptical but you can get away with a cheaper treadmill.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 10:42 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 300/ticker/ONEDERLAND!

Height: 5'9

I'm searching for a treadmil or eliptical as well with my tax refund! I can't drop more than a couple hundred actually. I hope I can find a good one that cheap!
heather88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 11:43 PM   #4  
it's always something

I just bought a treadmill for the office and bought it from Amazon for just 499 and free delivery. It's a Horizon Fitness T90. I'm happy with it so far I have an Endurance treadmill at home.
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 12:17 AM   #5  
Becoming myself

S/C/G: 294/233/180

Height: 5'9"

We have a Bowflex that we got on clearance at Sports Authority for about $800 (after tax). I'm really, really pleased with it--except for one thing.

It doesn't do the walking FOR me!
sidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 09:21 AM   #6  
Hi From Canada, eh?

S/C/G: check the ticker :)

Height: 5'8

i'm always afraid to get on a treadmill, they all have those "max weight capacity 250" eeeeeeeeeeeeeek LOL I always think I'll step on it and the belt won't move LOL
Trazey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 10:31 AM   #7  
Loving life!!

S/C/G: 360/159/145

Height: 5' 8"

I found mine on craigslist for $150....a lady was selling it since she was moving and didn't have the room for it. It's a 3 year old Nordic Track
TJFitnessDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 10:45 AM   #8  

Height: 5ft6'

Mine retailed for $1200 but I got it second hand from a man who bought it for himself to help recover from a surgery but he never used it. It was only 2 years old and I only paid $400 for it. I love it. I think you should deffinately look second hand. So many people buy them and never use them you could easily get a like new one for 1/2 the price.

Last edited by TraceyElaine; 02-13-2009 at 10:46 AM.
TraceyElaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 10:49 AM   #9  

Height: 5ft6'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trazey34 View Post
i'm always afraid to get on a treadmill, they all have those "max weight capacity 250" eeeeeeeeeeeeeek LOL I always think I'll step on it and the belt won't move LOL

I think alot of the cheaper ones have the lower MAX weight capacity. mine is like 500lbs or something. So in that aspect it is better to get a more expensive one if you are over 250. Which I am.
TraceyElaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 04:06 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 251.5/162/140

Height: 5'3"

I bought an elliptical lately & I found the same thing. Everywhere I read said that you couldn't get a quality machine for less than $1000. I didn't have that kind of money so I searched on craigslist & looked for reviews on the models that were available. I like the reviews on amazon & epinions because they are from people who actually use the products on a regular basis. I found a great machine but it took a couple of weeks.
amyk0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 04:38 PM   #11  

Height: 5'11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyk0202 View Post
I bought an elliptical lately & I found the same thing. Everywhere I read said that you couldn't get a quality machine for less than $1000. I didn't have that kind of money so I searched on craigslist & looked for reviews on the models that were available. I like the reviews on amazon & epinions because they are from people who actually use the products on a regular basis. I found a great machine but it took a couple of weeks.
Lucky you! I did the research and read reviews on ellipticals, but couldnt' find anything on my local Craig's List except for a model that got bad reviews, so I ended up having to purchase a new one (which I love!). Now I'm thinking I might also want a treadmill, which I hope will be easier to buy used since they seem to be more common. I think I want one that folds up and out of the way; otherwise, my dining room will truly look like a gym! (Which I guess it kind of already does with a huge elliptical machine in there, LOL)
Windchime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 10:16 PM   #12  

S/C/G: CW - 194 GW -168

Height: 6'1"

I have a commercial quality treadmill and absolutely love it. I spent about $2500 on it. It has been worth every penny. I have had the cheap versions and they do not compare and the quality is generally not with the cost.

Do the research, test them out. But realize you get what you pay for with the lower end products.
coachie is offline   Reply With Quote