Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-10-2009, 02:27 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 170/143/125

Height: 5'4"

Default take-along breakfast ideas?

I always take my breakfast with me in the AM because I'm never hungry immediately and I'm a snooze button pro... but the luna bar that I usually toss in my bag is not enough to keep me going till lunch.

Any good ideas of foods (especially including protein) that I could toss in my bag (i walk or bike to work/classes)? Much appreciated! =)
iriswhispers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 03:34 PM   #2  

Height: 5'7"

Bananas - not protein but they really do fill you up in the am & don't need refridgerated.

String cheese or peanut butter would be a good protein alternative. I make PB toast in the am & don't eat it until I get to work. It's not warm anymore but still crunchy & yummy!
ChefsGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 03:40 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 147/142/125

Height: 5'3

I take packets of instant oatmeal to work also banana's and I keep a jar of peanut butter there too.

Im lucky enough to have a fridge at work. I take yogurts and fruit and water and stock up the fridge.
butterflywings34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 03:45 PM   #4  
I can...and I will...

S/C/G: 202/196/160

Height: 5'6"

Not sure what program you are following but this has always been one of my favorites. 1 WW english muffin with 2 T FF ricotta cheese and a dash of cinnamon. I tell myself it is a cheese danish
Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 03:48 PM   #5  

I'll second the recommendations for fruit and string cheese. Single portions of yogurt or cottage cheese are good too. You can buy big containers and pack it into small tupperware containers and stir in a serving of seeds/nuts for extra protein and good fats or fruit.

Last edited by frieden; 02-10-2009 at 03:49 PM.
frieden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 03:49 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Height: 5'5

I toast a whole wheat english muffin, nuke an egg in a small dish (using cook spray and cover it with plastic wrap) for 45 seconds while the muffin is toasting, then throw in a bit of salsa and go...! If you don't want to cook the egg, you could throw in leftover chicken.

I will also eat hummus with crackers.
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 03:57 PM   #7  
Working my way back

S/C/G: 185/150

Height: 5'5

fruit! throw and apple and an orange in your bag and you're good to go! i don't know how long it would STAY in your bag but you could boil a couple eggs the night before... mmm...
corazonas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 07:19 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 170/143/125

Height: 5'4"

Cool, thanks for the ideas! PB and string cheese sound good. I do take a banana or apple sometimes but that doesn't help as much - I really think it's the protein I need to keep me going! Eggs are perfect but they don't travel very well...

That english muffin w/ cottage cheese and cinnamon sounds REALLY good. Cottage cheese will be ok at room temp for an hour or so, right? Sometimes I kind of throw caution to the wind with that kind of thing... one of these days I'm going to give myself food poisoning, though!
iriswhispers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 07:21 PM   #9  
No description available.

That sounds AWESOME, buckeye! I am so going to try that!

Iris, I take my cottage cheese to work in a tupperware and I add my frozen blueberries to it. Over the morning, the blueberries defrost a bit and keep the cottage cheese cold. I usually eat it about 3 hrs after packing it and I've lived to tell the tale! You could pack it in an insulated lunch bag for added chill if you wanted.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 08:52 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 140/111/103

Height: 5'1

I've become so efficient at packing food, campus food is soo expensive so I never bypass taking my lunch. I wake up, and before getting in the shower I put on 2 boiled eggs and put chicken breast on the george foreman. Once out of the shower I quickly slice of veggies and throw everything into containers and finish getting ready! It literally adds less than 5 extra minutes to getting ready in the morning. Sometimes I'll also put jam on some bread and wrap it up.
sm177 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 10:46 PM   #11  
Used to be Archy

S/C/G: 220/171/145

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwife View Post

Iris, I take my cottage cheese to work in a tupperware and I add my frozen blueberries to it. Over the morning, the blueberries defrost a bit and keep the cottage cheese cold. I usually eat it about 3 hrs after packing it and I've lived to tell the tale! You could pack it in an insulated lunch bag for added chill if you wanted.
I do the same thing! Pineapple was on sale this week, so my CC is with pineapple this week. I'll second hard boiled eggs. They've kept for a couple of hours in the summer for me, and I ate them with dirt on my fingers. I'm still alive!
Eves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 01:27 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 223/174/145

Height: 5 ft 5

For breakfast i do Kashi oatmeal with splenda brown sugar...... most people dont say to do artificial sweeteners but that ones good... i eat a filling salad for lunch with sliced chicken breast. i probably dont get thecalories i should from breakfast and lunch but i get the 1400 i should thoughout the day with mysupper i wish u all the best luck
krock614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 09:57 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eves View Post
I do the same thing! Pineapple was on sale this week, so my CC is with pineapple this week. I'll second hard boiled eggs. They've kept for a couple of hours in the summer for me, and I ate them with dirt on my fingers. I'm still alive!
I haven't been in a car accident in over ten years. But I think I'll keep wearing my seatbelt
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 12:48 PM   #14  
Formerly know as Fauxtini

S/C/G: 369.2/ticker/235

Height: 6'1

Luna bars are my usual breakfast on the go too. I definitly back up the string cheese idea.. and here are some other ideas..

I freeze personal sized yogurts and bring em with em with me. Wrap em n a towel so they dont get your stuff wet in your bag.. and they last a while.. and taste like icecream.. with protien!

How about those baby carrots and cheery tomatoes.. throw em in a tupperware container and have somethingto munch on all morning
mountain mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 12:52 PM   #15  
Workin' It

I make smoothies in the morning and bring them in to work in a big rubbermaid or thermos cup, depending on what is clean. I make then extra thick so after an hour they are still cold and yummy, just a little thinner.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote