Old 02-10-2009, 08:48 PM   #1  
One Day At A Time...

S/C/G: 225/195/160

Height: 5'5"

Default I Feel Guilty for Eating... in general

I guess I'm just complaining/venting.

But lately, I've been noticing that I feel guilty about eating. For the past week and a half I've made it a point to only eat when I am hungry, which is a real accomplishment for me. But after I eat a meal, no matter what it is, I always feel bad for eating it afterward. Even if it's just one sandwich... I feel like I shouldn't eat it because I'm fat already. I don't know if I've always felt this way, because I've spent so long overeating that I would feel guilty about eating too much. But now that I've only been eating adequate amounts and drinking lots of water, I still feel guilty. Why is that? I think it's kind of quirky.

Does anyone else feel like this?

~Tanya
Kaethus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 08:59 PM   #2  
Mentally ready

S/C/G: 314/266/165

Height: 5'8

Hmm, I don't know why you would feel guilty for giving your body what it needs to survive:P I don't know much about eating disorders but this sounds like it could turn into one if you don't deal with it... Sorry I don't have any better advice in that department though.
Beautiful Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 09:00 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 178/131.6/108

Height: 5'

i have problems with eating. i have been doing better lately, but i used to feel bad if i ever ate anything. Even an apple would make me fel guilty. It really is a bit of disordered eating i think. We need food to survive and should not feel bad for nourishing our bodies. I am slowley getting over this disordered thinking, but i still ahve problems going over 700 calories a day.. i really feel bad about it even though i know i need to for my body. I really hope you can stop thinking this way, because its such a dangerous road to go down.

Just remember. No matter what you weigh, your body needs nurishment to survive. And you deserve to be healthy and happy. Make good choices in the food your eating and dont feel guilty about it!
aware210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 09:12 PM   #4  
One Day At A Time...

S/C/G: 225/195/160

Height: 5'5"

I think it's triggered by that "full" feeling. I've been drinking at least two glasses of water with my meals (to take up space) and afterward I feel full. So technically it's not what I eat, it's the feeling "full" part that makes me feel guilty... since in the past I've usually overeaten to feel that way.

I hope that gives clarity. I really don't want an eating disorder.
Kaethus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 09:12 PM   #5  
Priscatip

Height: 5' 6"

Ditto to what the girls said above. I'm sure that is extremely frustrating - I'm sorry you're struggling. That said, you should be proud of yourself for making these healthy food choices instead of feeling guilty for eating at all. Be proud of yourself for making this healthy change!

I just love it when people tell you how you 'should' feel... you feel how you feel! And here I am doing it. So instead, if it helps at all, know that I'm proud of you for making healthy choices and that you're doing good things for your body.
Priscatip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 09:58 AM   #6  
Miss October

S/C/G: 153/116.2/120

Height: 5'2"

That's one of my biggest obstacles...I always feel so guilty the moment anything passes my lips. Doesn't matter what it is...if it isn't water, I feel that way. But, I've been feeling really great lately- so positive, and it's helped a lot. I don't even think about that anymore. Well, sometimes...but I've been doing well not to.
It takes time, but you've got to realize you should never feel guilty about eating. The moment you do, stop yourself...grab a book to read, go for a walk, do something to take your mind away from it. We do need food, after all.
CorinneIrene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 06:47 AM   #7  

I have a big problem with feeling guilty after eating my planned meal. Yet if I have a bad day and eat way more than I'm supposed to I don't feel guilty because the food puts me in a numb state. Although i do eventually get angry that once again I ate way more than I should have.

Anyway after 43 or so years of dealing with my compulsion to eat. Spending 43 years being obese or morbidly obese. Trying every diet, taking every pill, exercising like a mad woman, I finally found a good a therapist and am now starting to work through some issues. I have a lot of anger towards my mother and siblings for the emotional trauma I was put through as a child. I was Obese at 3, morbidly by the time I was 5 and my mother continually told me it was my fault i was fat and people had every right to ridicule me, call me nasty names, throw things at me because nobody likes fat people, so if i didn't like being fat at the age of 5 I shouldn't eat so much. Of course my mother helped me by giving me dexitrim...

Sorry I digressed so far.. now when I feel guilty after i eat I just accept it for what it is and try to get my mind on something else. Oh yeah and it helps having a therapist.
jglebtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 10:34 PM   #8  

Yea, feeling guilty is such a part of this disease. It can be helpful sometimes but then so often it is just so not necessary but we have been doing this for a long time. I am glad you brought this up. thank you.;
grabec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 08:56 PM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaethus View Post
I guess I'm just complaining/venting.

But lately, I've been noticing that I feel guilty about eating. For the past week and a half I've made it a point to only eat when I am hungry, which is a real accomplishment for me. But after I eat a meal, no matter what it is, I always feel bad for eating it afterward. Even if it's just one sandwich... I feel like I shouldn't eat it because I'm fat already. I don't know if I've always felt this way, because I've spent so long overeating that I would feel guilty about eating too much. But now that I've only been eating adequate amounts and drinking lots of water, I still feel guilty. Why is that? I think it's kind of quirky.

Does anyone else feel like this?

~Tanya
Totally. Especially when losing weight any food good or bad feels like a slipup. Of course that isn't true but I know the feeling.
DragonDust is offline   Reply With Quote