Old 02-03-2009, 11:04 AM   #1  
Maintanier to the MAX

S/C/G: Maintainer

Default A scale/weight question

How accurate is your gym scale? What about your home scale?
Ive been weighing myself on both (I know I should just pick one, but I can't I am addicted to weighing myself) My question is, if my home scale says one weight and my gym another weight (they are off a few lbs) which one should I go with? The gym scale before said more, not it is saying less.. the home scale is saying one number and it isn't the same as the gym's one. Should I go with the less of the# because... well who wouldn't want to weigh less? I am confused. I hope I didn't confuse you in this post either.
PearFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 11:08 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 294/see ticker/190

Height: 6ft 0.5 inches

if you do want to weigh yourself on both scales then it's going to be hard.

my scales are about 0.5-1lb lower than my "official" weight scales. consistantly that though.

i'd say to pick one scale to have as an official weight. otherwise you're confuisng yourself.

do you know whether the scales at your gym are calibrated? are they digital or not? if not then perhaps use digital scales as they're generally more accurate.
anastasia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 11:13 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 147/142/125

Height: 5'3

I would say to use your own scale because I've found that people at the gym move the scale all over the place which can effect what it says. The gym scale is always different from my home scale so I go by my own..
butterflywings34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 12:15 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

I would always go with a decent home scale because it's possible to weigh under the same conditions every morning (same time, first thing, same dress/undress, no food/water, etc). I guess that's possible at the gym, but not likely.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 11:58 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 254/242/199first

Height: 5'6"

I would say....Pick one and use it Consistancy is key. The difference may come from you weighing yourself at different times of the day...or the calibration may be slightly different. Either way chose one and try to weigh at the same time of day.
lonegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 04:09 PM   #6  
LBH

S/C/G: 279.8/276.9/170

Height: 5'10"

I'm addicted also! I would use the home scale. I have found that mine is pretty on target with my midwife's and it was only .2 different from WW. Since I joined WW, I'm going by theirs, but I use mine as a reference.
LBH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 04:23 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 180/172/155

Height: 5'6"

you could ask how regularly your gym calibrates it's scale? if they do, chances are it's the more accurate i bet.
kaebea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 12:17 AM   #8  
GSD Mom

S/C/G: 205/201/145

Height: 5' 4"

My scale at home is so off, that I need to buy a new one. I tried using the one at work and it for the birds... So, when I went to the doc's office the other day my weigh in was 197! So, for now the doc's office wins...:-)
LadybirdnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 02:43 PM   #9  
On my way to a size 10!

S/C/G: 236/see ticker/150

Height: 5'8"

All scales are LIARS! LOL

pick one & stick to it. make sure you are wearing about the same thing when you weigh each time & make sure you are weighing in at the same time each time.
SamanthaJubilee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 02:45 PM   #10  
On my way to a size 10!

S/C/G: 236/see ticker/150

Height: 5'8"

I am also addicted to weighing myself. I bought the WW electronic scale & depending on where I place it on the floor for what it will read. I could move it all around my kitchen floor & get all kinds of different weights (usually within 3 lbs of each other). So I had to "tape off" a place to put it each time so I could get an accurate reading of how much I did (or didn't) lose.
SamanthaJubilee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 11:08 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 255/174/145

Height: 5'7"

I try to stick to just using the one I have at home. I may randomly hop on one in a friends bathroom or at my moms, but it always ends up registering a different number. I don't put too much stock in what the others say and just use mine when recording my official weight...
aspenemry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 05:15 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 192/175/145

Height: 5' 3"

Like everyone said, just pick one and stick with it and weigh at the same time everyday. I use my home scale so I can weigh at the same time every morning. It isn't about the actual number anyway within a pound or two; it is about the number going down!

For interest sake, use weights to check your scale at your gym. I did that the other day and it was bang on. Also proved that mine at home is 2 lbs light! So I won't be using the gym one again!

Last edited by pools; 03-24-2011 at 11:23 PM.
pools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 10:20 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 264/202/163

Height: 5'4"

I use my home scale. My gym scale is always 4 pounds heavier. But, when I first weighed and started my journey my at home scale said 264 so that is what I go with. Also, I weigh naked at home and have all my clothes and shoes on at the gym.
stacygee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 10:26 PM   #14  
Healthy is Beautiful

S/C/G: 207/**ticker**/129

Height: 5' 4.5"

I weigh myself everyday on my home scale and that's the one that I go by. Occasionally I do peek at my weight on the gym scale and I fully expect it to be different. When I weigh my self at home....TMI to follow, it's always after I've gone to the bathroom in the morning and when I'm totally naked. When I weigh at the gym I'm usually about 1 1/2 to 2 lbs heavier. I'm expecting that gain since I've been moving around, usually had some water, and am clothed w/shoes and ready to workout.

Just pick one and stick with it or you'll drive yourself insane.
Hopeful8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 01:24 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 200/ticker/150

Height: 5'7

I go by the one at home. Went to the doctors for my check up and got on the scale and was upset. My doctor said the one at home is more accurate as weighing yourself without clothes on and after you go to the bathroom is the most accurate. I am addicted as well but it does help me out.
kleemandy is offline   Reply With Quote