Old 02-09-2009, 03:47 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/150

Height: 5'4

Default Chronic Dizziness?

So, yesterday morning I wake up at 6am to and I realize it feels like the room is spinning even though I am in bed. I then go to get out of bed and I my body is pulling to the right. I can't walk straight. Talked with my mom about it and she seems to think that I either have the flu or perhaps an inner ear infection. I spend most of my entire day in bed. Slept about 18-20 hrs yesterday. I was hoping to feel better today, and I do....a little bit, but I'm still kinda dizzy, but I'm at least able to get on the comp a little bit and watch tv without seeing double. I'm thinking if I'm still feeling like my head is inside a balloon or dizzy at all that I should make a dr appt. It's kinda scary. Anyone have any ideas on what it may be that is causing this?
Smiling_Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 04:55 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 201.8/155.2/158

Height: 5 7

When your blood sugar drops you can get dizzy, are you eating enough protien, when we diet it really is important to eat every few hours to keep our blood sugar even thrugh the day. That being said it is also something not to be ignored and you really should consult your doctor about it.
cdawnfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 05:08 PM   #3  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

It's possible you have an inner ear virus. It's like being seasick or on a rolling boat, only nothing's moving.

Are you eating enough? Low blood sugar can also cause dizziness.

The inner ear virus can last 2 weeks, but most people only get it once in their lives. At least, that's what my doctor told me when I got it. A dr. can prescribe something to lessen the dizziness until it passes.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 05:14 PM   #4  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

A good way to check and see if it is an inner ear virus is to take an OTC anti-motion-sickness med, Bonine. Bonine shuts off the inner ear, which will also shut down the dizziness if that is what is causing it.

If it lasts more than a few days, and if the Bonine doesn't alleviate it, you might consider seeing a doctor. Can't be good being dizzy all the time?
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 05:31 PM   #5  
Diane

S/C/G: 294/258.0/180

Height: 5'6"

I had a few episodes of vertigo about a year ago. Nothing in particular seemed to trigger it, but it was just like you are describing. Then, it went away. I had it maybe 3 times over the course of 6 months or so. The doctor wasn't worried about it because of the amount of time between instances. She said it was "just vertigo". It hasn't happened since then... knock on wood!

I thought it was a little scary.
Slashnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 05:31 PM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayEll View Post
It's possible you have an inner ear virus. It's like being seasick or on a rolling boat, only nothing's moving.

Are you eating enough? Low blood sugar can also cause dizziness.

The inner ear virus can last 2 weeks, but most people only get it once in their lives. At least, that's what my doctor told me when I got it. A dr. can prescribe something to lessen the dizziness until it passes.

Jay
I haven't eaten much of anything since Sat night. Saltines and a little soda to keep hydrated. I've gotten sick once and felt nauseous yesterday....and while I do feel "a little" better today, the dizziness is still there and I haven't had much of an appetite.
Old 02-09-2009, 05:40 PM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandalinn82 View Post
A good way to check and see if it is an inner ear virus is to take an OTC anti-motion-sickness med, Bonine. Bonine shuts off the inner ear, which will also shut down the dizziness if that is what is causing it.

If it lasts more than a few days, and if the Bonine doesn't alleviate it, you might consider seeing a doctor. Can't be good being dizzy all the time?
No, it's not a good thing at all. I can remember laying in bed yesterday with my eyes closed cause that caused the least dizziness. But if I even would turn over in bed it would cause the room to spin. Like Slasnl said, it is scary. I was beginning to think something was really wrong when I couldn't get my balance. If I'm even feelings a bit like I do now, tomm....I will make an appt with my doc. Yesterday, I'd say I was about a 10 on the scale of feelings Yuk...today, a 7....if I'm anything above a 4 tomm, I'll see if I can get some meds from the doc...

and I may try the bonine too....it's certainly worth a shot
Old 02-09-2009, 07:32 PM   #8  
Hooping my Life Away

S/C/G: 298/218.1/170

Height: 5'8"

The only time I have that problem is when I ingest aspartame.
Daimere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 08:00 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 202/160/135

Height: 5 ft 6 in

Low iron. i was constantly soooo dizzy all the time. I started iron supplements and my iron (ferritin) has gone up a little and the dizziness has stopped.

If you do get an iron test (ferritin level) done, make sure YOU get a copy of your results. you may be in the "normal" range, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's normal. A normal range is considered 15-180 mcg, but you should be no less than 30.

~CGH~
choirgirlhotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 08:59 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 305/Ticker/175

I get this quite often and it is called Vertigo. I have a condition in my inner ear that causes crystals and I guess they kind of break off and it makes me all dizzy. They want to do surgery, but I am not willing. I hope you get better, and if it continues I would have it checked out.
Luvbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 09:08 PM   #11  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

The technical name for the "inner ear dizziness" is "Benign Positional Vertigo". Luvbean - have you tried taking motion sickness meds when it acts up? Might save you from having to do a surgery. You might also try to find a doctor who knows the "canalith repositioning procedure" - it's a series of head movements designed to re-align the crystals. The doc basically just moves your head about in a specific way to realign. Not all docs know how, but lots do, and it helps A LOT.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 12:24 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/168

I had the flu for 9 days and was so dizzy it was impossible to even drive. Tired, dizzy, headache. Sucked.
Lyn2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 11:51 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 288/ticker/145

Height: 5'5"

If you have thyroid issues, you might want to get your TSH checked. One of the weirder and less common symptoms of hypothyroidism (underactive thyroid) is vertigo/dizzyness.

Lisa
LisaF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 12:00 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 305/Ticker/175

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandalinn82 View Post
The technical name for the "inner ear dizziness" is "Benign Positional Vertigo". Luvbean - have you tried taking motion sickness meds when it acts up? Might save you from having to do a surgery. You might also try to find a doctor who knows the "canalith repositioning procedure" - it's a series of head movements designed to re-align the crystals. The doc basically just moves your head about in a specific way to realign. Not all docs know how, but lots do, and it helps A LOT.
Thanks for the tip. I think I will look further into it. I do have a prescrption that I take when it acts up. I have been good for about a year now, but it will hit me out of the blue.
Luvbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 12:14 PM   #15  
Registered Nut

S/C/G: 325/325/150

Whats the update? Hope you are doing better
RN BSN 2009 is offline   Reply With Quote