Old 11-20-2008, 07:01 PM   #1  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

Default African inspired crockpot chili lentil peanut butter stew

I adapted this from Kalyn's adapted recipe to make it P1 compliant and thicker.

Toss in crockpot:
8 cups stock (I used vegetable)
1 onion, chopped
2 peppers, chopped,
2-3 garlic cloves, minced
2 T chili powder or blend (I had a 3 pepper blend)
1 t cumin
28 oz diced tomatoes (I used crushed fire roasted)
1.5 c lentils

Cook on low for 8 hours or high for 4
Stir in 1 c peanut butter and simmer another hour.

This was much thicker than the original recipe and without the rice I didn't have any sticking to the sides problem. I only had about 3/4 c PB and it still worked. I will probably continue using the lower amount to reduce the fat since it is still really yummy.
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 07:30 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

Height: 5'4"

I made this for the first time today, but I will definitely make it again. It is a nice combo of flavors, and very rich from the peanut butter and satisfying. Great cold winter night comfort food. Thanks Cyndi!

Only thing I will definitely do differently next time is add less water. I think 6 cups will do it, and I would have liked it thicker. Also, my peanut butter didn't really dissolve all the way and I got a couple of peanut butter globs in my mouth, which was a little disconcerting. Next time I'll make sure I stir it really well. A cup of brown rice would be a nice addition, but then I would add the other 2 cups of water (and of course this would make it Phase II). And definitely not necessary, but I think you could put in some chicken or turkey, maybe even a mild-flavored white fish.

Last edited by Schmoodle; 02-06-2009 at 07:38 PM.
Schmoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 05:22 PM   #3  
Healthy mommy

S/C/G: 246/235/150

Height: 5'8 3/4

This recipe sounds really interesting. I love the use of PB in savory dishes such as Thai dishes for example, although where I live, most of the people have never heard of such a thing and may cringe at the idea of it. I on the other hand think it's great and I've never had African food before, and the PB ingredient in the recipe has hooked me. I've so gotta try this and think I'll add some chicken in with it, like Schmoodle said above it sounds like it can be done. Plus I've been craving something different from the same old same old, and this definitely is the thing.
Fat Melanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 02:23 PM   #4  
it's always something

I'm going to give this a try this weekend. Has anyone tried it with peanut flour such as PB2, instead of regular peanut butter?
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote