Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 02-06-2009, 01:39 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 327/270/199

Height: 5'11

Default So sore 2 days after my Personal Trainer, is this normal? Help!

This is the first time I've did a thread in this side of the forum!

I've been working out on my own since July. I'm pretty strong and can tell I have really strenghtened my muscles by using my own weight.

With that said, I had my first session with my PT on Wednesday. She had me doing modified pull ups and tons of arms! Including presses with 35 pound weights, lots of real push ups and really kicked my butt. I'm very pleased.

My question is, my arms feel so sore! I've been sore many times, but never this sore. It hurts to move and my arms literally shake when I pick up anything, like my water bottle.

Is this normal? I'm suppose to do my routine that I did on Wednesday today on my own. I've never been in this much pain before. Is it ok to work through the pain and keep going?
Here we go again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 01:46 PM   #2  
MBN

S/C/G: 150/G:finding the happy me

Height: 5'2"

Sounds to me like you overdid it a bit. I wouldn't work those muscles strenuously until they've had a chance to repair. Maybe you can do your routine with lighter weights and fewer reps to increase circulation and aid recovery -- but I certainly wouldn't push it too hard. See how you feel in a couple more days. It's better to lay back for another day or two than to push through and risk injury, IMO.
MBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 02:00 PM   #3  

Thank you! Is it true that if you don't work through the soreness you'll be sore longer? I'm so new to intense weight training like this. It's like I know Im strong but lifting a 270 pound body is no joke!
Old 02-06-2009, 02:01 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 201/155/145

Height: 5'6"

Sounds like a normal first-time trainer workout to me. I would maybe take an extra day or two to heal. I had the same thing happen the first time I went mountain climbing. It is scary, but you will be fine. I just popped some over-the-counter pain pills. I would at least try to do a cardio workout to stay on track.
mamaspank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 02:11 PM   #5  
FB

DOMS! Read all about it!
When it happens to me, it's usually 48 hours after the workout. I've worked through it - but cannot recommend that to you as I cannot know what your pain threshold is/ if something's wrong, and so on.
FB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 02:19 PM   #6  
Working My Way Back Down

Yup, I did an extra hard wo on Tues, and was more sore on Thurs than on Wed. Today is much better. Still feel it, but better. Advil helps.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 03:33 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Height: 5'7"

First know that 35 lb presses (total of 70 I'm guessing?) is the big-time, so it's a good reason to be sore! I sometimes used to push myself like that and I found it better to give it an extra day or 2 to where you might still feel it, but it's not PAINFUL to move. However, I second the idea of cardio. Gets the blood pumping and pulls the pain out of all those sore places.
sportmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 04:19 PM   #8  

Awesome thanks! 35lb big time? I like the sound of that.

I did 10 miles on my bike yesterday. I'll probably do a modified version of my routine today. It was just making nervous that my arms are shaking when I pick something up as light as a bottle.
Old 02-08-2009, 05:00 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 196/196/185

Height: 5'3"

I find the shakes and muscle soreness for a couple of days after a workout to be totally normal if I have worked out extra hard, been away from the gym for awhile, or introduce something new. I try to ease into new programs/exercises so as to avoid so much of the muscle soreness. One thing I find helps a lot is an Epsom Salts bath...or even just a hot bath period of you don't have access to any salts. As well, you may want to make sure you are getting enough protein if you are weight lifting as the body needs that to repair the muscles after the workout damage. I am shaking today after doing the first full tilt leg workout in three weeks, know I am going to hurt tomorrow, and will have lots of empathy for you then!

Keep up the great work! The pain is well worth the final results. I confess to liking it when my muscles give a gentle twinge to remind me that I have recently used them.

Oh, one other thing... If my muscles are hurting from doing weights, I don't work them out again until the pain has subsided...usually two or three days in my case. However, I will do some yoga and find that the stretching can help ease the pain and keeps me mobile. I also walk a lot at my job, and think that level of moderate exercise is good.
theloula is offline   Reply With Quote