Closed Thread

Old 09-16-2002, 01:59 PM   #1  
Life Time 2001

Default Feisty & Sexy 50 & 60 yr olds #191

slavika: What a great analogy. Your gonna have fun babysitting. You will spoil those kids, they wont want to go home

Ann: How was the weekend? I have heard of those before. Gives us the scoop on how it was!

Maria: My goodness! I cant believe you hardly get a minute back at home and you are off again. Cant believe how you do all this at a moments notice. Guess I would to if I was in your position. But how exciting on the up coming marriage! I know you will make it home for that!

Jenye: How nice to see you! No need to lurk! Would love to see you chat more with us.

Had a great weekend. Didnt really do to much but be lazy. Did take a short drive in the hills. Some of the fall colors are coming out. Was pretty!

Later!

Last edited by LilyG; 09-16-2002 at 02:01 PM.
Old 09-16-2002, 04:59 PM   #2  
Super Surfer

Talking ...it is all Slavika's fault...

Slavika got me going on this new MSN game called Collapse and every spare moment I have been at it. We even had to get wrist bands to ease the soreness.. Yesterday Slavika got the idea that there could be a "game mouse" that would help us play faster... asked my daughter and she said there was, but we could also tweak the settings on the mouse to make it move faster..
Truthfully, my life has been quite hectic lately. My DH's other sis and DH came in, BIL father died at 95. They stayed for over a week and so we had a lot of late evenings out.
Today my DH helped me do some canning - I did stewed tomatoes. We just love them and they are so much better than the canned in the store.
Also went to see an old friend who had a stroke in the spring, she just turned 66. They were at Lake Chapella in Mexico when it happened. She spent quite some time in hosptial there while arrangements had to be made to fly her home. One of their DD flew to Mexico to drive their van home and they came back air ambulance. When they got their health insurance they made an error on the form and so they were not covered. It cost them close to $27,000.00 Can. for the flight alone. A Dr and nurse had to be flown to Mexico to get her. She is in a health facility now and if all goes well within the year she will be transferred to a nursing home. She is paralized on the left side. It is so sad. Her DH is not well, many years ago he dove into shallow water and injured his spinal cord. He walks with canes on good days. Those two never let anything get in their way, they travelled all year long, in fact they were the ones we went to Las Vegas with. He sold their home and is living in an apt close to where she is now. It broke my heart when she said he comes every day around 11:00am, stays with her till around 6:00pm. Now that they can put her in a wheel chair she sits at the window and waits till he comes out of the building and they wave. Neither one of them is sleeping good...
You never know how fortunate you are until you hear someone else's story.
A big grouphug for all of us.
Old 09-16-2002, 06:08 PM   #3  

Trudy what a sad story. I feel badly for them. And then to not be covered by insurance on top of that. Now I have to go see what this game is about. My son gave us MahJong and I have been doing that. My dh is better at it but he is in New York this week so I am going to try to knock his name off. Maria your life changes from one post to the next. You never have a dull moment. And now your son is getting married. Does the old girl friend know about it yet? Jennye keep coming and let us know how and what you are up to. I painted the front and back doors today. All I know is that they don't look like the paint chip. The brass kickplate was all tarnished and scratched and I found a can of brass spray paint so I painted it. Looks a lot better. Dh won't recognize the place when he comes home next week. See you all later, life is sort of boring here after hearing about Maria's.
Old 09-16-2002, 07:38 PM   #4  

G'day all,

Trudy what an awful sad thing to happen to your friends. You are absolutely right, life is pretty good when you hear about something like that happening.

Lily there is no doubt we will be home for the wedding. Hopefully I can have soemthing made whilst in India.

Peggy I wouldn't mind my life being a little boring. DS will be letting ex-girlfriend know this week. I asked if everything is settled (finances etc.) as I thought that was what prompted him to propose. He said it almost is settled but he saw ex for her birthday last week and she told him that she has also been seeing someone and is very happy. Knowing that she is happy made him think that she would probably deal with his intended marriage to his high school sweetheart OK.

Jeney nice to see you back posting!

I am in our Melbourne hotel room whilst dh attends to some meetings before heading back for our final stint in Sydney this afternoon.
We had a lovely weekend with our dd and her dh and I have finally settled down about the upcoming wedding and our next project in India.
I have 1 million things to attend to but I figure, I will just go with the flow and what I don't get around to doing, too bad.
I bought a book on Mumbai (where we will be based) and had a bit of a read. Some interesting information not the least being the following:
_
Toilet Paper
Mumbai's sewerage system is overloaded enough without having to cope with toilet paper as well. You should try to adapt to the Indian method of a jug of water and your left hand as quickly as possible. Toilet paper is available to the sqeamish, but it is not supplied in hotel rooms except in top-end places. A basket is sometimes provided for used toilet paper- please use it.

I never did receive any replies from any of you that you may consider visiting me on holidays, did you already know about the Mumbai sewerage system
It will be interesting to say the least.

Before I forget Lily I actually cracked the code of Dreamweaver and last Friday I uploaded my nephew's website. It is very uninteresting unless you are in the 'extruded plastics' business. I thought it looked Ok and he is thrilled the address is http://www.users.bigpond.com/amscholz/ I uploaded it to my address until he gets his own domain name.

That is just about all for now,
Stay well and healthy
Cheers
Maria
Old 09-16-2002, 10:58 PM   #5  
Member Florida Chick

Cool Toilet Paper!!!!!

Hi: Maria: I hope that is the worst of the things you have to get used to . I guess you want to be sure you never shake anyones left hand! Another wedding will be exciting, and this time as the mother and father of the groom, you won't have much planning to go through. Just shed a few tears.

Lily: The marriage encounter seminar was very good. Alot of good things to remember, and we did find out that as marriages go, we measure up quite well. A few things to work on like better communication. It had a lot of humorous parts, especially the examples of what not to do. Like newlywed husband telling his wife that her cooking wasn't like his mothers. We enjoyed it and came away feeling like we learned something more about each other.

Trudy: So sorry to hear about your friend. Her husband sounds like a very devoted friend and husband to her. Insurance companies certainly can make life difficult at times. We have a stroke screening program come to the park where we are, once a year. They check the carotid arteries, and in many cases they have found problems, partial blockages, and the people had the surgery and are now doing fine. It is a test that everyone should have, as there are no symptoms of that sort of stroke until it is too late. My bil had a stroke, but it was related to blood pressure out of control.

Ashe: glad to see you back. Don't stay away so long.

Peggy: Am glad to hear that the brass paint works. I've often wondered if it would really renew dull brass. Now I know.

Slavika: I imagine you are busy with the kids. How are you surviving?

See you later. Ann p.s. Lily- Thanks for the new thread.

Last edited by Lizziepie; 09-16-2002 at 11:00 PM.
Old 09-17-2002, 05:55 AM   #6  

Default Hi Everyone......

Well here I am again. Thank you for your kind words of welcome back. I feel as if I had never been away. It just goes to show you that people accept you as you are. Thanks.

Trudy I am very sorry about your friend. It sounds as if her family have had bad luck in the past what with her husbands accident as well, but her daughter sounds like a gem. and must love them both dearly.

Lily I've no need to lurk any more as I just love being here again.

Maria I'm so glad that you enjoyed your trip to Melbourne. Did you use the Hume Highway or the Princes Highway. Either way would be nice at this time of year. You certainly struck good weather on Sunday.

Well ladies until next time,

Take care

Ashe/Jenye

Last edited by Ashe; 09-17-2002 at 06:03 AM.
Old 09-17-2002, 12:27 PM   #7  

Maria I think I will skip coming to see you in India. I am very picky about my bathrooms. Lol You had better pack a lot of tp to take with you. I bet they just have the most lovely aroma. gag! My nephew and his wife and kids are moving to India in the spring when she gets out of med school. She is from there. I don't think I will be visiting them either. Can't your dh get an assignment in Hawaii or someplace nice?
Old 09-17-2002, 04:07 PM   #8  
Fun Blonde

Oh my gosh! Maria, you are brave souls to go to India where tp is frowned upon. My Goodness! Watch who cooks your meals and how clean they look. But actually, how interesting to experience so many new opportunities! I hope your ds's ex is doing okay with the news. Ah love! How it can hurt at times and be the greatest at other times!

Trudy, your story about the little couple just gives me chills. They seem so devoted. These things happen but where there is love, it is at least bearable.

I got a phone call last Thursday from Joel, oldest son whose wife is pregnant. They had an unscheduled ultrasound and found out they are 85% sure the baby is a GIRL! When he called me, I was worthless from then on. I e:mailed my friends and relatives and then e:mailed a few people at work. Got a message from a friend about a meeting and thought, "I haven't told her." So I replied and ending up sending the message "It's a girl! to 169 of my dearest and closest friends (VP's, deans, etc of whom I know about 10. I was so embarrassed. And to make matters worse a friend replied to me so it would out to the 169 people again. Everyone got a laugh and I have been congratulated by EVERYONE. Think this should be written in my granddaughter's baby book to show her how crazy her grandma is.
Glenda
Old 09-17-2002, 05:40 PM   #9  

G'day all,

Arrived back in Sydney late yesterday afternoon. (we flew Jenye, no time for the luxury of a relaxing drive!!!) Melbourne is renown for it's changeable and cold weather but on arrival in Sydney the temperature was a mere 10 degrees, we wondered if we had left Melbourne at all
We expected papers from the bank to be there (for payment of our car) but that was not the case. DH was getting very agitated, we are trying hard to get organised for our sojourn to India.
Today I will go and apply for our visa's, dh's visa has run out.

Glenda I gather you are pleased about having a grand-daughter , congratulations!
DS's ex. didn't take the news of his engagement too well, but their photo is in the newspaper towards the end of the week, so it is just as well he did tell her rather than her finding out through the newspaper. You are right about love, I do feel sorry for his ex. DS says he is trying to be as fair as he can be, but I think that can even be worse, when an ex is so 'nice', you cannot really than justify to yourself that he was a so&so anyway and you are better off without him.

Peggy Where would the challenge be if dh had an assignment in Hawaii I must admit, I could do without some of the challenges that no doubt will be presented to us in Mumbai.
There aren't many takers that are keen to come for a visit, cannot possibly understand why

Ann I am pleased not a great deal is expected from us for the wedding, other than to turn up for the day. DS told us last night where the reception will be and that they will have about 250 guests. I think that is quite large, our dd had 80 guests at her wedding, which was lovely.
I hope I can have a nice silk outfit made in India.

Slavika you must be having a lot of fun with your grand children or you might be worn out by the end of the day I hope you are enjoying their stay and I look forward to when you get a chance to post again.
Maybe you can swap Maui for Mumbai for your annual holidays

Time to get a move on.....
Cheers
Maria

Last edited by flaggies; 09-17-2002 at 05:44 PM.
Old 09-18-2002, 10:45 AM   #10  
Net browser

Hi Everybody - Just a quick note as I am going out for my usual Wenesday of lunch/shopping. I don't get the grandchildren until next Tuesday evening, so I am still JUST a grandmother not a substitute Mom.
I'll be back later today to post. Hope everybody has a nice day.
Old 09-18-2002, 11:22 AM   #11  
Life Time 2001

Trudy: WOw you have had quite the time lately. Sorry to hear about all the goings on with the people in your life. Feel so bad for your friend with the insurance. Thats alot to have to come up with.
If my DH would plant tomamtoes I would can some to, but alas he has been so lazy lately.

Peggy: Where did your DH go? Did I miss something? Bet the doors look pretty! Come to my house. The whole thing needs painting

Maria: Sounds like all worked at well for your son and his Ex. Makes it easier that she is seeing someone new to. You did great on the web page!
Glad you got the code figured out. Can see why your nephew likes it! Looks really good!

Ann: Sounds like it was well worth it then! I would like to go sometime. I think it would be fun. Dont think I could talk DH into it tho.

Jenye: Glad you arent lurking Its good to have you back. You were missed!

Glenda: To funny about the email! It is embarrassing when you find out what you did!
Congrats on the grand daughter! How exciting!

Slavika: Have fun on your outing!

Later!
Old 09-18-2002, 07:06 PM   #12  

Surprise, surprise everything has changed again!!!!!
At times I wonder how much more I can put up with. DH had a phone hook-up to the States this morning and he is NOT required now until possibly November.
So it is back to plan A, pick up the new car tomorrow and Saturday to the Floriade in Canberra. It will be nice to RELAX and just enjoy the flower display.
I will still drive home by myself early next week, and dh will come 2 weeks later when everything is unpacked, washed and back in its place at home!

I am very pleased, it is certainly giving us a breather and I now will be able to spend some time at home. If he was required in November, I probably would stay behind till after the wedding.

Keep your fingers crossed there are no further changes, I don't think I can cope

Cheers
Maria

Last edited by flaggies; 09-18-2002 at 07:09 PM.
Old 09-18-2002, 07:54 PM   #13  
Net browser

Hi Everybody
Maria November, now that is better. It will allow you some time to go home and just relax and get together with friends. I'm happy for you. I hope "nobody" changes that part of the plan. I did look on the internet at some of the places to see in Mumbai (Bombay) and some of the places look just lovely but I have a hard time getting past the "toilet situation". Thank you for your gracious invitation, LOL LOL but I feel I must decline. I think the hardest thing would be to go out and eat. Yikes.....you would never know where those left hands had been. I checked some of the hotels out on the internet and they mention bathrooms, but none of them said anything about toilet paper. I guess sometimes because of the conditions in other countries things are going to be different. I remember when my Aunt and Uncle went to Europe many years ago to the Ukraine, and other places, she told me she took toilet paper with her. The travel agents explained that not all bathrooms had toilet paper. Someone else told me while in China you just kind of squat over a hole along with several other people....no privacy whatsoever. I know that not all the places in China are like that but I guess if travel into the more rural areas you may finds conditions more primitive.
Ann thats nice that you and DH enjoyed your marriage encounter seminar, We could probably all benefit from going to one.
Jenye hi there, nice to "see" you again. What have you been up to? How's the weight loss program coming along. If you have been reading the posts you know that I gained on last winters vacation so I am back at WW trying to get the extra lbs off.
I have to tell you gals what happened to DH today. This morning at 7:30 as he was leaving for the bank, he stopped at a filling station for gas. When he got there, the lady in front of him at the pumps car had stalled. The young fellow pumping gas, asked DH if he had any booster cables in his car. DH said yes, and the young man asked if he could borrow them to give the lady a boost. He said he would use his own car to do that. DH said ok, and he and the young man pushed the ladies car away from the pumps. DH opened his trunk and gave the cables to the fellow and he started the ladies car for her. The lady walked back to DH's car, put the cables back into the trunk, walked back to her car and drove away with not so much as a thank you to either DH or the young man. The kid is filling DH car and glances into his truck and sees his golf clubs in there and says to DH, did you have golf balls in your trunk as well. DH said yes he did, why? The fellow says, "you know, I saw that lady walking back from your car after she put the cables in, and I just realized that she was carrying golf balls". DH, looks in the trunk, sure enough 2 sleeves of golf balls were gone. The kid felt so bad, offered to chase after her in his car but DH told him to forget it. He told the young man, if she ever comes in again gas make sure you get a little bit on her car and DON'T clean her windows. Can you believe it?

Last edited by slavika; 09-18-2002 at 09:22 PM.
Old 09-18-2002, 08:25 PM   #14  

Slavika that is awful, I would not be surprised that sort of thing happening in 'shady type countries' (not mentioning any names ) but civilised Canada It is unbelievable.
No wonder people are reluctant to help others but at the same time you still get 'sucked in'.
I live in a very touristy part of Sydney as I have mentioned. DH told me a few weeks ago that this well dressed young man was pushing a wheelchair with his girlfriend (?) in it and approached him for change. He was really taken unaware and got 'sucked in' (hate the expression but it is very apt) and gave money. Since then I have seen the same couple many times and I have also watched the two after another tourist gave 'a donation' and seen them a few times step out of their role of 'poor me, pushing my girlfriend around in a wheelchair'.
So much for civilised Australia!

Must get back to packing up but I just had to comment on your post.

Cheers
Maria
Old 09-18-2002, 09:05 PM   #15  
Member Florida Chick

Wink Changes!

Maria: You certainly do have an interesting life. I am happy for you that you now do have more time to relax a bit. I guess yoou just never have a dull moment with your dh job and what is expected of him.

Gals: I never thought my dh would go to a marriage encounter type thing either. But I talked about it, said I would like to go and of course he said we con't need to go. So I just prayed about it, and then a bit later asked once more, did you think about it, and he said, yes lets go. Tonight another couple asked us if we learned anything , and my dh said yes we did. So I felt really good about our going.

Slavika: Hope you have a good weigh-in. Since as a lifetimer I don't have to go everyweek, I am choosing not to go this week, as things have not been very good in the food dept. lately. I've got to get serious. Heard Dr. Phil tell a woman, when she asked why she couldn't lose any weight, say" You don't lose, because you don't want to!" I have to take that statement to heart.

Didn't sleep much last night, am really ready for bed. Was still up reading at 3:00a.m.

Hi all. Will check back tomorrow. Ann
Closed Thread