Sugar Shakers for followers of Sugar Busters and other GI based diets

View Poll Results: Which hand do you write with?
My Left 6 19.35%
My Right 23 74.19%
Both, I'm Ambidextrous 2 6.45%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 09-16-2002, 07:32 AM   #1  
SUPER CHICK aka Moderator

Post Sugar Busters Weekly Support Board 9/16-9/22

This is the
SUGAR BUSTERS WEEKLY SUPPORT BOARD
where all of you who are following this WOE, or are thinking about doing so, are welcome to come join in and be a part of our wonderful group.

Other than finding support and friendship on this board, we also try to do something during the the week to add a little difference to our board.

MONDAY-MOTIVIATIONAL MONDAY
TUESDAY-TUESDAYS TIPS & FACTS & CHAT AT 9:15PM EST
WEDNESDAY-WEIGH-IN WEDNESDAY
THURSDAY-THURSDAY RECIPE DAY
FRIDAY-FRIDAY FUNNIES

Please take some time to check out our extensive recipe boards. Our RECIPE BOARDS can be located at the link below:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/foru...php?forumid=89

We have SEVEN INFORMATIVE BOARDS!!!! Please take a few minutes to visit them! New information is continually being posted, so please make sure you visit them often!!! The boards are listed below as well as the link that will take you to the boards:

THE RECOMMENDED READING BOARD
THE TOOLS & TIPS BOARD
THE FOOD INFORMATION BOARD
MOTIVATIONAL & INSPIRING THOUGHTS BOARD
MY FAVORITE SB LEGAL FOODS
SB 2002 BIO BOARD
SB 2001/2002 PHOTO ALBUM BOARD

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/foru...php?forumid=87

We also have a SB WEEKLY EXERCISE BOARD that you can log your daily/weekly exercises on which is located on our weekly support board:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...threadid=20112

Then there's our latest addition to the SB BOARDS which is called OFF THE EATEN PATH This board is for everything NOT related to SB. You can use this board to post questions or comments on just about anything (okay, within reason). A book you recommend, a cleaning tip, a great website deal, etc. etc. Here's the link:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/foru...php?forumid=90

NEWBIES! (aka new members) If you would like to REPLY to any of our threads, please hit POST REPLY not NEW THREAD, then type your message in and hit SUBMIT REPLY. If you need to edit your reply, just click on edit located in the body of your post and make changes as you need to, then hit SUBMIT NOW.

WELCOME!

Old 09-16-2002, 07:38 AM   #2  

GOOD MONDAY MORNING EVERYONE!

Will post my usual morning post sometime later, but wanted to make sure I got our
MOTIVATIONAL MONDAY
done early in the morning, so here's my contribution for MM, there are two of them today. I really like the first one, but both are good!!

COMMIT TO IT

Taking action without being totally committed to it can be worse than taking no action at all. Because when you have any level of resistance to what you're doing, you're simply not going to be very effective at it, and the effort will be largely wasted.

Always keep in mind that you can decide to do it or you can decide not to do it. But it is vitally important to make one decision or the other, and then to follow it with your full commitment.

To make progress, you must have yourself on your own side. You won't get very far if you have to work against your own resistance and resentment.

If you're going to do it, commit yourself to it. Commitment is a decision you can make for yourself, regardless of the circumstances, regardless of whose idea it was originally.

Commitment is the act of sincerely putting your heart into what you're doing. If you have no interest in being committed, then why would you have any reason to go through the motions?

Rather than fighting against your own resistance, be supported by your own commitment. That will often make the crucial difference between success and failure.

-- Ralph Marston

THIS IS THE DAY

This is the day everything you've learned can be put to positive, productive use. This is the day when you can call upon the courage, the strength and the abilities with which you're blessed, and with them achieve great things.

This is the day in which you can truly make things happen. Think for a moment about the power of that ability.

You're not limited to painful regrets and empty wishes that this day could have been different, as you are with past days. You're not limited to hoping for what will happen, as you are with future days. Today is the day when you can make things happen, and that is rare and precious indeed. Of all the days in your life, this one that you're living right now gives you the power to truly make a difference.

You can think, you can focus, you can make decisions, take action, offer your love and understanding, build, create, and move forward. You can do it all this very day.

All that you've ever dreamed of, or hoped for, whatever you sincerely desire, is here today in the form of very real and attainable possibilities. This is the day to get up, get going and transform those possibilities into reality.

-- Ralph Marston

Have a wonderful day, and a fabulous week!!!!!

Debbie
194/12?/129
SB since 3/22/00
Reached goal 6/10/01
Old 09-16-2002, 07:41 AM   #3  

We have a BIRTHDAY TO CELEBRATE THIS WEEK!

IT'S SERENE'S BIRTHDAY ON WEDNESDAY, SEPTEMBER 18th

Old 09-16-2002, 08:02 AM   #4  

Good Monday Morning Everyone

Figured I should get in a post, starting the week anew before I find myself once again behind in keeping up with everyone.

Kids are off from school and as I mentioned the other day, Michael has a Dr. appt. at 11am, then his guitar lesson at 4pm. May take them to a movie in between, they complain they are bored and I can't think of much else to spark their interest.

Woke up to rain this morning. It's stopped now, but I haven't peeked out there to see what the conditions look like for walking/jogging. I'm not totally awake myself, but if I don't get a move on now it will get too late, too hot, and I'll find too many excuses not to go if I am actually able to get out there.

JRED, it's not hard to keep up the bean count. I just count out a hundred or two and then mark it down on a paper. I have the jar 1/2 filled now, just a bit more to do.

BOB, I don't understand, what the heck the guy was doing with his bike! How bad did he damage your car? Why didn't you call the police? Sounds like something out of a movie!

LADYKWAK,

Glad you've decided to join us and glad to see another Floridian on the board (we have quite a few of us!). Do feel free to ask questions and pick our brains until your book arrives. I know you will find SB a lot more palatable in more ways than one over Atkins. After you read the SB BOOK, do make sure to ask questions as some of the book can bit not only a bit confusing, but contradictory as well. I also suggest you read MICHAEL MONTIGNACS book, EAT YOURSELF SLIM. See if your library has it and check it out. He explains things better and in more detail than SB in some respects. Looking forward to you hanging out with us and possibly coming to one of our SB GET TOGETHERS that we have, next one in Orlando in Janaury!!!!

DEBY, I have a almost 15 year old nephew and then 4 nieces, ages 6, 5, 2, almost 4 months. They are all adorable, but I have to say, this last one just tugs at my heart and I seem to have a way with her. I love them all though. I think my sister is done, at least we hope so, but she sure does make some cute babies. I never thoguht I'd get preg. years ago, was on clomid, then pergonal, got preg, miscarried. Decided to give myself a break, got preg. with Michael and then within months of him being born, with Lauren, they're only 17 months apart. You never know!!!

Well gals, I'm outta here for now. I'll check back in later and hopefully, be able to keep up this week.

Have a wonderful SB WEEK everyone

Debbie
194/1??/129
SB since 3/22/00
Reached goal 6/10/01
Old 09-16-2002, 08:16 AM   #5  

Default Monday

I hope people are feeling better today. We have a fresh new week to play with here and I am hoping we will have wonderful results for WIW and be enjoying life a little more. My prayers go out to all who are still feeling blah..sometimes we just don't know why we feel like that and I find that a frustrating thing.

JRED- Everyone has scared me with the window stories! I called my Dad (good ole Dad always knows everything ) and it seems this is a very normal thing to happen when you put new siding, new shingles and new windows into an older house. It is more airtight than before and we don't have a furnace to move air around, we use our woodstove as our heat source. We had fires those 2 nights and the warm air hitting the cold windows (it is very chilly here at night already ) meant the condensation. We will have to look into a type of air exchange thing but my Dad said this is not a big problem. At least the condensation is not between the thermal windows. Hope you are feeling better soon, JRED.

LADYKWAK- I saw you posting over at the LowCarbcafe and read your introduction. I did Atkins for numerous months then switched to SugarBusters. Not because it was boring but because I had stalled. I am now doing a lowcarb thing to give myself a boost but will go back to SB soon enough which is the healthier and more interesting way to eat, in my humble opinion.
I know you will enjoy SB because there is such a variety of natural foods you can enjoy as compared to the Atkins Induction. It might take a little longer to lose, but it is certainly sustainable for life. This board is a great help, ask all the questions you want, they always have the answer. Welcome to the Board!

QUILTER- Are you going to be posting soon? I am missing you!

Going to post this before it crashes on me!
Old 09-16-2002, 08:54 AM   #6  

I'm not sure if I can post my question here or not, but here goes.

On the GI amounts, am I limited per meal? or How much should I limit myself to in a day? Either I missed this in the book, or I simply don't understand.

We started today, and I don't want to mess up!
Old 09-16-2002, 09:12 AM   #7  
Goddess

Thumbs down Monday Morning

Good morning everyone!

This will be another short post as I have to get to work, but I feel like I need to stop in to kick off the week! The weekend was really packed--I was exhausted when I got to last night and pretty cranky. Thank goodness my leave from the church starts next Monday!

Dazzles--wlecome to the board! Try to stay in as low a GI range as possible! Limit yourself to 2-3 starchy carbs per day (these tend to be the foods with moderate GI levels--like SGWW bread, brown rice, WW pasta, sweet potatoes, etc.). Try to avoid foods in the high GI range at all costs! It's not cumulative (like counting carbs or fat grams etc.) Just work from the list that gives you low moderate and high GI foods.

Tranquil--I am so sorry to hear about your cousin. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

BOB--The nerve of some people! Sounds like a TWANDA moment to me!!!!!!!

Deb--still counting coffee beans? Sounds like you will be counting for a while! Have fun. BYW--loved the motivational piece on commitment!

Have a great week everyone! I'll stop in when I can.

Susan
300/247/150
Old 09-16-2002, 09:54 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 257/169/155

Height: 5'6"

Happy Monday Gang!

It's a much better day here for me. Thank goodness. Whatever it was, glad it is gone.

It rained all weekend. Did manage to squeeze in a 2 mile walk last nite. This morning it wasn't raining but so foggy. Decided to wait until tonite to walk. Did get up and get my workout in though.

Shopped again most of the day yesterday. Bought 4 pair of pants, 2 have to be returned. Too tight. Tried the 12's on in the store and they were too big so I bought the 10's, but they were too tight. Something to work for I guess. I did buy a pair of jeans. A size 12. It's hard to believe that this time last year I was wearing a size 22 and now I'm wearing a size 12. I must say shopping for clothes is much more enjoyable.

Bob, Is your car damaged. You should have opened the door and knocked him off his bike! You must be confused, My CATS won 17 to 10 over IND. My dad's heart is only 1/3 operable. We find out today what they propose to do.

Tranquil. Sorry to hear about the tragic accident with your cousin. Prayers to you and your family during this hard time.

Ladykwak. Welcome. SB is a great WOE and this is a great support board. Good luck to you. Ask all the questions you have. Someone will know the answer. Looking forward to getting to know you.

JRed. I hope your funk finally lifted. Mine was better yesterday. Maybe our planets were out of line or something?

Deb, Got that jar filled yet? I would have lost count soo many times it wouldn't be funny. Have a nice day with the kids. Liked your MM about committing. I need to take a close look at that one.

Toni, Hope you are feeling better today.

Country, You are going crazy with your bows. Glad you are having so much fun with it.

Debyj, It rained in Lou all weekend too. But I guess we can't complain since we need the rain so badly. Gives us a good excuse to stay in doors and get stuff done.

Gracious, Glad you got your window problem figured out. No furnace? And my kids think our house is cold in the winter. Think I'll send them to visit you.

Fillise, Hope you are better rested today. Have a great day.

have a great day everyone!

Jackie
257/172/145
10-10-01
Old 09-16-2002, 11:24 AM   #9  

JACK-K- Nope, no furnace. It is actually hilarious to me too..at least it was when we moved here. I grew up in a 6000 square foot house with 5 washrooms, central air and of course a furnace! I moved out here 2 years ago and now I heat with a wood stove! My friends back in Ontario couldn't imagine me living like this. It is rather cozy and I just love the smell of the wood stove and the toasty evenings with hubby. I admit though, that our visitors tend to think it is on the cool side in the winter time...but like my parents used to say even in our house growing up, "Put on a sweater!"

Congrats JACK-K on the size 12 jeans. What a testimony to this WOE to have been a size 22 just a year ago...AWESOME!
Old 09-16-2002, 11:44 AM   #10  

Mornin' y'all. Hope everybody had a good, restful weekend. I got absolutely nothing accomplished, but I do feel rested. Last week was extremely busy with the program. That went really well, by the way. I was very proud of my kiddos. Now I have a 3rd grade program to get ready for in about 3 weeks.

I did manage to drag myself out of bed early this a.m. to exercise. I did TaeBo basic. I had forgotten how hard it was. It doesn't help that I haven't done much the last two weeks.

I'm soooo far behind that there's no way to reply to everyone. Sorry. Have a great day.
Old 09-16-2002, 01:16 PM   #11  

???
Does anyone know where I can get a G.I. list of foods? I went to Rick Mandosa web site and printed the list, but I have no clue on how to read it. There are 2 columns and doesn't tell you which column is for what. Is there a site you can type in the particular food and the g.i. will come up?? What is the magic number for a food to be legal?

Thanks

Jackie
Old 09-16-2002, 01:45 PM   #12  
Little Engine That Could

Hello all. I feel like I'm out of the loop somewhat because I've missed being on the board for the past 3 or 4 days. Apparently BOB had a run in with a bike. Did you get hurt BOB?

I was gonna post a MM for today but my DH has the book from which I will take the quote. So, I will post it tomorrow. It was about temptation.

LadyQuak--I know the GI "points" sounds confusing. You can see that just to find a list we can read, as Jack-K is looking for can be a little challenge. But it is fairly simple. What we are looking for is foods that will not spike our blood sugar. So, the GI values are not a number that we should try to reach, like having a 1200 calorie diet. They are numbers that give us an idea of which foods will not have a big impact on our insulin level. The numbers that are lowest, such as that from barley, vegetables, meats, etc. are lower than the GI numbers of cake, white bread and sugar corn pops. for example. So we try to stay with items from the lower end of the GI scale.

BOB and Fillise--The Gators are pretty horrible this year. We went to the game they played against Ohio and I was wondering at times if they were even going to be able to win the game. (BTW, that game was played in pouring rain. There was lightening in the area, so we all left the stadium for 45 minutes until it passed and the game resumed. First time that ever happened to me.) It was so sad because just a year ago things were so different. It is amazing to me to see such a profound turn around--in the wrong direction, unfortunately. When y'all play them, it should be a piece of cake for you. I just hope we don't have a losing season, which is very possible. As I've said, Zook is no Spurrier.

I will be very busy this week. I had French class all morning, and after weight lifting this afternoon, I take another class with my daughter in a NT book. I am working on a big project this week, and will need all the extra time I can get to finish it. So I may be scarce this week. I am hoping just to get in my walking, which is easy to let go when I need all the time I can find to finish my project. What do the rest of you do when faced with this plight? Let the exercise go until you have the time to do it?

Take care, all you right and left handers.
Old 09-16-2002, 03:49 PM   #13  

Thank you all for your comforting words and emails. I took all that anger and wrote a letter to the newspaper, and now that I've put it on paper, I can stop feeling so terribly hopeless in stopping my family's pain and can go on to just give them comfort....

I gained 2 pounds overnight - hopefully it will be gone by WIW! I am being very careful not to emotionally eat....actually I did that yesterday - but I could have been really terrible, but I am positive I have not harmed my success.

DS and I have shared some tummy bug this weekend...maybe it will help with weight loss??? hmmm, one of the benefits of it to look forward to?

Serene and I were good samaritans in the turtle world - we saved a softshelled snapping turtle from being squished on the road....I wish there had been a video camera!

BOB - I hate to tell you this, but you made me laugh so hard I almost peed in my pants! I am sure you were in shock with your violent, lunatic cyclist attacking you so, but on the other hand it was out of a Monty Python skit!

JackK - you are the INCREDIBLE SHRINKING WOMAN!!!!!

Serene - HAPPY BIRTHDAY....you know you are just dying to hear me sing to you on Thursday!!!

Tonight I will take the time to welcome newbies and write to everyone - before the board gets too busy to keep up with....

Ta ta For Now! Sabrina
272/243/157
Old 09-16-2002, 04:32 PM   #14  

Good afternoon,

Getting rady to head home. Got to go to the grocery tonite and get some food and then get my walk in. Hope everyone has a good evening.

The board has been slow today so I can catch up easily.

Music, It seems you finish one program and you have to start another. I guess that is the way it is with teachers, especially a specialty teacher. Good for you exercising this morning. You gotta start some where. Keep up the good work.

Gracious, Our house is cool all winter. We always have a fire in the fireplace, but the kids upstairs freeze. DH keeps it on 58 in the winter and 78 in the summer. So my kinds are always cold 0r hot and always complaining. They say they have to wear their coats to be warm. One DD slept in gloves and pj and a sweathshirt one nite.

Dazzles, Welcome to our board. This is a great place for support and friendship. We only count the to 3 on carbs not totals in foods. 1 bread, 1 cereal, 1/2 c pasta. Hope that helps.

Gator, You can almost count on a win in 2 weeks when your Gators play UK. It's tough when you're not having a winning season. Just ask a UK fan, we are used to it. That's why we get sooo excited over any old win. On the exercise thing, if I know I can't get my walk in at nite, I get up early before work and get a 2 mile walk in. I try never to miss, but sometimes you just can't help it. At least you are still lifting and that goes alot further I think. Do you do all you body parts at one time. I only doe one part a day. It is nice because it is quicker and you don't get so worn out, but sometimes I don't feel like I'm working hard enough.

Tranquil, I'm glad to hear you are finding some peace with your cousin's death. Share your memories with your family, hopefully that will make some of the pain go away. Just don't give in to emotinal eating. That will only make you feel worse in the long run. Hope you kick that tummy virus. On a lighter note, I wish you all had a video camera too. Was it anything like a Chineese fire drill?

Talk to you guys tomorrow!

Jackie
257/172/145
10-10-01
Old 09-16-2002, 06:14 PM   #15  

Hello all!!

I bought the G-index diet book at barnes and nobles. I bet you could buy it online if you don't have a store near you. I had to resort to buying the book, cause i could't find anything on the net either.

Okay-i have a dilemma. I have to have a crown put on a tooth and had some work done on fillings today. The dentist said i have to quit clenching my teeth And he said i have to take it easy on the old teeth for a while and eat some soft stuff. Of course i LIVE on salad and crunchy stuff!! I hate creamy stuff!!----Sooo--any suggestions?? What kinda soup is low in carbs and sugar---I guess i can have some oatmeal? Any suggestions????--This totally sucks --But right now, i'm in some pain so i will go with it. I WOULD LOVE A CHOCOLATE SHAKE RIGHT NOW!!!

later taters---debyj
Closed Thread