Old 02-04-2009, 11:40 PM   #1  

Height: 4'11"

Arrow Does diet soda make you eat more?

I've really cut back on my diet soda intake. I have maybe two a week, some weeks none, whereas before I used to have about 3 a day. Correlating with that is my craving for junk food. The more diet soda I drank, the more I wanted to eat. Now I find I don't even really crave foods that much. Of course this could be in conjunction with changing my eating, maybe now that I've gotten away from the junk I'm not craving it. But I wonder: has anyone else had any increased appetite or cravings when they drank diet soda?
thinpossible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 11:43 PM   #2  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

It's a well-known effect for some. I've never experienced it, but I know lots of others on here have.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 11:46 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 284/207/165

Height: 5 ft 3

I've never run into that problem, but I'm one of those people who ALWAYS has something to drink in their hand. In the morning and up until around 2 pm, it's diet pop, and after that, it's water. I guess if you equated drinking with eating, and always at the same time, maybe it'd become a habit to do them together?
pengbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 11:46 PM   #4  
The name is Maria :)

S/C/G: 325/291.9/170(for now)

Height: 5'6 1/2

yeah sometimes I notice that too.. I tihnk in my mind Soda in general even though it's diet ='s junk food.. like it's a side dish to it. nothing goes better with chips, or cookies, or pop corn, or doughnuts like soda does to me I mean how often do you think Hmm I'd like to drink a glass of water or V8 with my cookies... LOL... so I think that's why when I have soda it triggers me to want to eat junk food with it like the two just go hand in hand...I used to drink soda like 5-6 cans a day! and the regular kind... then I switched to diet and still drank 5-6 cans a day and now I've switched to diet caffeine free Pepsi because it only has 35 grams of sodium not too bad for soda... but its just not as good as the regular soda so when I get the craving for a soda I have one of those but It's maybe once or twice a week I'll have a can..
mariamherrera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 11:51 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

Personally, I haven't had that problem. Actually, occasionally a Diet Dr. Pepper will prevent me from indulging in a sweet tooth moment and save me from eating an extra 200-300 cals.
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 05:49 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 138.8/135.4/122

Height: 5'1

Thin, I have to agree with you. Nothing goes better with pretzels or chips then diet pepsi. Even those little chocolate Dove squares are better with diet pepsi. Years ago I could drink 2 liters a day. I am trying to get back into drinking 60-80 ounces of crystal light.
tinamae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 06:00 AM   #7  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I have heard of this side effect happening to some, but it doesn't at all do this to me. In fact at times it "saves" me, like when I AM having a craving for something sweet or when I'm at a party or socializing in general. That's when I turn to the stuff.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 07:54 AM   #8  
Blue Blood

S/C/G: 293/274/150

Height: 5'10"

I have cut way back...But it never made me want to eat more. I get the opposite effect. Diet soda temporarily gives me a very full and satisfied feeling. I quit drinking it on a regular basis because I needed to drink more water and I do think that diet soda is generally not healty for you.

I have one or 2 when I am out and about and get that urge to just go to a drive through and have something that isn't all about healty for a change. It sure beats a quarterpounder! I just get rebellious like that sometimes.
djay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 08:08 AM   #9  
yay! summertime!

S/C/G: 265/235/135

Height: 5'7"

I think drinking a lot of diet pop in a day encourages me to overdo other things as well. So, I am limiting myself to one can a day in the morning, sort of like that eye-opener cup of coffee. However, when I am out with people who are drinking (pop or alcohol), I see diet pops as an absolutely great option.

I am curious about switching from pop to Crystal Lite --- why is drinking an artificially sweetened drink like soda bad but drinking an artificially sweetened drink like Crystal Lite ok?
Numina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 08:51 AM   #10  
Loving life!!

S/C/G: 360/159/145

Height: 5' 8"

It doesn't make me want to eat more (it's almost the opposite) but it will fill the sweet cravings that I'll get.
TJFitnessDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 12:30 PM   #11  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numina View Post
I am curious about switching from pop to Crystal Lite --- why is drinking an artificially sweetened drink like soda bad but drinking an artificially sweetened drink like Crystal Lite ok?

I think you've got to realize that there are many opinions on the water issue, and people draw their "battle lines" in different places, and sometimes there are valid reasons and sometimes not so much.

For myself, I'm not worried about artificial colors or sweeteners or caffeine, although I know there are more nutritious and healthier choices, so I'm trying to drink more tea. I'm also not worried about drinking my water with nothing in it, because there is no such thing, except distilled water, which is actually not recommended because it's lack of mineral content could actually pull minerals from the body. The theory that the body "processes" plain water better than other liquids just isn't true, your kidneys deal with liquid in any form very well. In fact, you could get all of your fluid requirements from food, especially if you eat a lot of moist foods like fruits and vegetables.

One reason carbonated beverages may be worse than non-carbonated ones(whether they contain other artificial ingredients or not), is there is as theory that drinking carbonated beverages may leach calcium from the bones or it may be that people who drink carbonated beverages drink less milk, and therefore intake less calcium. As a result, I take calcium supplements "just in case," because I do enjoy my diet soda and I don't care for milk (I do try to get yogurt and light cheeses in, but I'm just not the dairy fan my husband is). I alternate or take half doses of both calcium carbonate and calcium citrate (calcium citrate is more easily digested, but also much more expensive). I'm trying to wean myself off carbonation, but I love fizziness.

I've also read that aspartame can make a folic acid deficiency worse. I try to limit aspartame more than Splenda, but I'm using both, but much less often than I once did. I'm also taking folic acid supplements because they were prescribed by one of my doctors for my fibromyalgia, so I do think I've got a little bit of "insurance" against small amounts of aspartame.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 12:43 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 273

any flavored drink makes me eat more ...I always want chips or something to go with it...I have switched to only water...except for my couple of cups of coffee with skim milk.

I think it is different for different people but I have that whole sweet salty thing going..I have sweet then I want something salty....so drinking flavored drinks just does me in.
epiphany4z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 01:24 PM   #13  
In the Home Stretch!

S/C/G: See Tracker

Height: 5'6"

It doesn't make me want to eat more either. I've kinda stopped drinking it because it didn't really quench my thirst like water does. I still have a glass or 2 a week when I'm in the mood.
daniela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 01:35 PM   #14  

Height: 4'11"

Hmm. interesting responses. It doesn't neccesarily make me want to eat at that moment, like if I have a diet coke I want chips with it. It's more like I just seemed to have more cravings, and maybe even more hunger in general when I drank more diet soda. Or maybe I'm just nuts and making it all up

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly315 View Post
Personally, I haven't had that problem. Actually, occasionally a Diet Dr. Pepper will prevent me from indulging in a sweet tooth moment and save me from eating an extra 200-300 cals.
It has this effect on me too. Like sometimes when I really want some candy or something, I can substitute a diet soda. That kind of how I'm using it now-- like a treat.
thinpossible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 02:00 PM   #15  
career counselor a-gogo

S/C/G: HW:~330 325/ticker/145

Height: 5'7

My biggest reason for not drinking pop anymore (that's soda to some of you), is that when my mom worked for a shipping company she would train people on entering bill of lading information on containers. One of her example products was Coke Syrup which was so acidic that it was a HazMat material. I just decided putting something that was a HazMat material in my body, no matter how diluted, was not appealing to me.

I do, occasionally have a diet coke still, but they are really infrequent and I always think about the fact that I'm basically putting chemicals into my body.

EDIT: Hmm ok HazMat material is redundant but whatever.

Last edited by rodeogirl; 02-05-2009 at 02:01 PM.
rodeogirl is offline   Reply With Quote