Old 02-01-2009, 12:39 PM   #1  
GSD Mom

S/C/G: 205/201/145

Height: 5' 4"

Angry Feeling Down On Myself

Have you ever had one of those roadblocks, that make you land flat on your face? I have had one of those time were if it could go wrong, it went wrong. My truck broke down, my bathroom sink is now leaking and I have to find time to fix it. I have to finish my mid-term exams and I have a mountain of laundry waiting to be done.

I feel so frustrated, that I total blew my diet and I feel like I failed miserably. I know that I shouldn't be so hard on myself, but I was doing so well and wham the wind got knocked out of my sails big time. So, now I don't know if I should just start over again from the beginning and just go one or pick up where I left off. Any suggestions? Thanks for listening..
LadybirdnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 06:22 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 180/172/155

Height: 5'6"

Hey ladybird,
you didn't fail miserably. I remember my college days, and i remember having days like that!

for one thing, not everybody has a weight problem, so we bigger chicks all have something extra on our plates to (no pun intended heh heh) deal with on top of all the other things life throws at us.

I think one thing i had to accept is that I will always have to struggle with my weight. it's just an on going process, and there are going to be days that we fall, but you just have to get right back up and give it your best all over again.

Life throws things at us from all directions, and if one approach to slimming down doesn't work, we just have to come at it from a different angle, the important thing is that we keep on trying. One day we'll get it right.

the worst thing that we can do is have an all or nothing attitude about it. Don't we realize how impossible it would be to go from day one of our diet to our goal weight in a single perfect stretch?! Most likely, not going to happen!!! It's much better to focus on the baby steps it takes to get there. A positive step here, and good day there. Focus on the positives. what you HAVE done, no matter how small. Keep reading up on health and nutrition. Keep googling different activities to try. Keep going out for that 10 minute walk. and keep coming to 3FC for support and ideas!!!

and when you get to your goal weight, make sure and post your b4 and after pics for all to see!
kaebea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 10:27 PM   #3  

I too have a car issue, and a laundry issue. When it rains, it pours, no?
Just want to say, hang in there...better days are ahead.
MamaZaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 01:15 AM   #4  

I know how you are feeling as we've got similar things going on around here as well. Just pick up tomorrow and go along as though no slip ever occured. Don't demoralize yourself by 'starting over'- that's a form of self punishment and is counterproductive. You aren't at war with your body. I'm saying that for me as much as for you because the same mental traps get me too.

Go over and read the 'maintainers' forum. I read there a lot as it helps me cope with the mental aspects of weight loss. You are not on a set timeframe even if you would like to achieve your goals by a specific date. Once you achieve it, you just keep going along not much different than you are now. It isn't going to be 'over'. I found that once I wrapped my mind around that idea, it started getting easier- especially to forgive myself for letting myself down.

Tomorrow is a new day and a chance to do it better. Leave today in the past.
bindersbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 09:17 AM   #5  
Meredith

S/C/G: 175/160/150

Height: 5'4"

I think that you should just keep going with what you were doing in the first place...Starting over sounds too hard. I, too, have been really down lately, and I think just coming onto the forum makes me feel like I am not the only one.

I have car (van) problems, too...and my kid has to get 6 cavities filled this week, and, and, and! Seems like everyone has their hand in my wallet! But it is nice to know that I am not the only one!!!

Keep your chin up, things will work themselves out. (Or so I keep saying to my husband!)
meredithann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 11:51 AM   #6  
LBH

S/C/G: 279.8/276.9/170

Height: 5'10"

Lady, hang in there! I am constantly fighting the laundry mountain and it seems that when it rains, it pours when we do "minor" repairs around the house! Just get right back to it, whether that be picking up where you left off, or trying something new. Just don't let whatever plan you're following stress you out - life is stressful enough!
LBH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 08:52 AM   #7  
GSD Mom

S/C/G: 205/201/145

Height: 5' 4"

Thank you everyone. It does get absolutely disheartening at times. I am trying to back into the swing of things and it feels like I am trying to move a mountain. I am going to work on my mini-goal except I am going to shoot for Good Friday.

My boyfriend and I are going to spend sometime in North Carolina with his family and my folks will be back from Florida too. I would like to surprise both my family and his for the holiday. It really gives me something to smile about and it gives me a gentle push to get motivated for the right reasons.

You have given me so much help and encouragement on this forum, I am really glad to find other people who have similar problems. I am going to need some help getting to goal. Wish me luck..
LadybirdnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 04:21 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 180/172/155

Height: 5'6"

Hi ladybird, glad to see you didn't give up and l see you lost a little too!

If it's worth anything at all, I try not to set goals for myself in terms of "by such and such date, i will weigh such and such pounds".
I've found in my case, there's just too many variables that can contribute to how your body responds. Then when that date that you've set rolls around, and you haven't achieved that weight goal, you feel discouraged.

So instead, I had better luck in the past setting goals like "I am going to do my preferred method of cardiovascular exercise for 30 minutes, monday, weds fri and sat. or something like that, simply because i have more control over that. and as long as we implement these changes, weight loss is sure to follow.
Not that I don't have weight goals and mini goals, I just keep them loosely and let my body get there at it's own rate. The weight loss will come as long as we make the changes necessary.

By setting and focusing on these action oriented goals, at least we know we've done our part when weigh in day rolls around. We're less likely to skip a workout here and there if we make that our goal. and we're more likely to see wieght loss when we've done our workouts.

just a different perspective on the whole thing.
kaebea is offline   Reply With Quote