General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 02-03-2009, 05:24 PM   #1  

Height: 5'6.5

Default Did you watch House last night?

I can't stop thinking about the House that was on last night...2 Feb.

The gal "dying" who was the cancer gal was so right about life, blaming others for being unhappy, do something today to make YOU happy, not sticking with everything you are "supposed" to do unless it makes you happy, etc. Not only did it make me think about things in my life that are not making me happy and thinking about what I need to do to make ME happy, but also made me think about my weightloss efforts. I'm happy at 150...really I am. So why am I considering loosing more? Probably because I think it would make my soon to be ex husband want to love me more. And I'M NOT DOING THAT! Anyways, just blabbing. Did anyone else see it?

Very good last night....
JamieJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 09:51 PM   #2  
Maintanier to the MAX

S/C/G: Maintainer

Yes, I watched it. She did make a good point. I was really intrigued by her point of view. What you mentioned makes perfect sense. As long as you are comfortable in your body, why should you loose more, for someone else..... no do it for YOU. It is essential that YOU are happy before you can make others happy. If your urrent weight is that, then be it. If you want to loose more, then do it for you, dear. Not the soon to be ex.
PearFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 09:59 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

I didn't see it, but what you said makes loads of sense
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 10:03 PM   #4  
Maintanier to the MAX

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledOne View Post
Yep I watched it. It was a very good point but unrealistic. Hardly anybody has a life they only do what makes them happy.
Unrealistic... hmmm. I get your point, but am not sure what you mean. So ar you saying you are you, and do what you do to make others happy and none of it is for YOU? Well not none, but only a little bit of your happiness is for you?
Old 02-03-2009, 10:30 PM   #5  
Maintanier to the MAX

DisgruntledOne-
Thanks for reitterating that. I didn't want you to think that I was being rude, just wanted to know more of what you meant.
I understand where you are coming from, and agree to some point. I think it really and truly depends on the person and their resonsibilities, even their lifestyle (married, living at home with their parents etc.), age, etc. Tons of things that might make one act a certain way for certain reasons. Make sense?
Again, thanks for explaining.
Old 02-03-2009, 10:46 PM   #6  
Maintanier to the MAX

Same, here. Sometimes people forget we are online, and not talking face to face.
Old 02-03-2009, 10:51 PM   #7  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

I feel like media (TV, movies, whatever) draws a rather hard line between "what you have to do" and "doing what you love". I think in real life, we end up splitting the difference a LOT of the time. For example, the only reason the woman on the show COULD pursue her dream (training with one of the best chef's in the city, right?) was because she had the funds to do so from years of doing what she "Should" do. Splitting the difference.

I kind of hate the distinction, mainly because it implies that one has to do one or the other...what they have to or what they love. I believe that everyone needs a bit of both...and that the "obligation" stuff allows you both the means to get AND the mindset to enjoy the "because you love it" stuff.

Last edited by mandalinn82; 02-03-2009 at 10:52 PM.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 10:39 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 247/247/200

Height: 5'4

i LOVE house!

and yes she made sense and in a perfect world we would all be happy at what we are doing and happy about how we look & act . but that isnt the way it happens. i know certain people in my family lable me as the *witch * in the family since i speak my mind , dont let my parents over rule me when it comes to my kids , and just dont give in when it would be the easiest thing to do.

i'd rather be ME than a fake cheap imitation
rainenroses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 10:42 AM   #9  
Sandy....

S/C/G: 270/207.8/155

Height: 5'5

I love House, but unfortunately missed the show. It sounds like it was a good one too. ;-(

Sandy

blog = www.mygritsconfessions.com
mygritsconfessions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 01:23 PM   #10  

Height: 5'6.5

I know that real life isn't as easy as a TV show says it can be, but it sure made me feel better and think about why I'm so unhappy... (and realize that this is the first time in my life I'm unhappy...and it's just not me.) If someone in my life is the reason for me being miserable, that's my own fault. Quit blaming his actions/my actions/other actions and DO something about it. And, I'm bored in my job but love the paycheck. I should quit, find a job that I love (like working with animals) and make nothing... but we all know that I'm not going to do that! We'll, not yet.
JamieJo is offline   Reply With Quote