Old 02-01-2009, 02:53 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 257/250/150

Height: 5' 3"

Default Sonoma/Med Feb 2009 Support Thread

I'm thrilled, it seems we have a small little forum going here at long last. I'm hoping my Feb. will be a lot better than my Jan. this week has been a good start. I got to pilates and yoga and took my dogs for a couple good walks and have been pretty much on plan all week.
petra65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 06:27 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 237/219/150

Height: 5'6"

Looks like I made it to February!

I have to tell you guys, I was so discouraged after not losing for two weeks. I went from resolving to do better to saying why bother. Friday I did pretty well though, that is usually my bad day, but Saturday I waited too late to eat and ended up eating ice cream. But today, I realized I didn't want to go back to that way. I want to eat healthier and I HAVE been able to stay with this diet, so I want to keep trying and maybe weight loss will catch up with me!

Today I have done very well. I probably should eat more vegetables, but at least I have not eaten a lot of other things or any junk.

I haven't logged calories the past few days either. I may go back to it later but not right now. I was focusing on the calorie count and it gave me a false expectation that I would show a loss. So I am going to try to be moderate in my eating, stick to my plan, and not obsess about calories or feel cheated when I "did it right" but did not get the reward.

I have also done my exercise video four days in a row. I was supposed to do a 4 days in a row "boot camp" and then go to every other day. I plan to do that. Also shows progress for me!

Petra65, glad you got in the exercise and are having a good eating week! I am also really glad to see that more people are posting here now. One more reason that I can't back out now!

Best wishes to all for a good week.

Heather in SC

Last edited by heatherinsc; 02-01-2009 at 06:33 PM.
heatherinsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 08:52 AM   #3  

I'm struggling a little more this week despite having plenty of healthy food available to eat. I'm on call which is always a bit stressful-you never know when you are going to be interrupted and TOM is coming to visit this week so I'm having cravings for unhealthy things. I at least bought sugar free chocolate yesterday which I suppose was an improvement but would have been better to skip it altogether. My scale is still looking okay so I guess I haven't done any significant damage yet and I'm going to pack my lunch today for work. I also can't go to yoga or pilates when I'm call because I can't have my pager going off in the middle of class.
Old 02-03-2009, 01:39 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 157/140/135

Height: 5'4"

Down two pounds today; yay! I plan to consult the Sonoma diet cookbook tonight for a good way to prepare my salmon.

Winter is very hard for me; I just want to hunker down under a quilt and eat comfort foods.
Thinfor5Minutes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 02:02 PM   #5  

Great job Thinfor5minutes!
dorothygailflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 06:22 PM   #6  

Glad everyone is hanging in! Good job, thinfor5minutes, congrats on the loss.

I am still struggling to get enthusiastic again after my no-loss weigh in. I know you are tired of me harping on it. I had candy yesterday for heaven's sake. Then I felt terrible for doing it.

I have done all right today. I am going to keep trying and stop whining. I think.

Last edited by heatherinsc; 02-03-2009 at 06:23 PM.
Old 02-04-2009, 10:26 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 157/140/135

Height: 5'4"

Still plugging away...tried a Weight Watcher Smart Ones breakfast wrap this morning; it was just okay. I'm running out of dinner ideas...my husband is a vegetarian and it's hard for me to find foods on the Mediterranean diet that will work for him also. Obviously the chicken breast recipes and the rest will not work for him, and I get very bored. The alternative is to make two separate dinners, which is what I did last night. I had salmon, and I made him a Quorn "chicken" patty with barbecue sauce over it. We shared a bag of frozen broccoli and I heated up leftover brown rice.
Thinfor5Minutes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 12:40 PM   #8  

Well, I am struggling. I am not gaining weight but I am not losing which of course is the goal of any diet. I started out saying I wanted to learn to eat healthy, regardless of the amt. of weight loss ~ so I am trying to keep that in mind. It is so nice here in the West I have been trying to go for daily walks and I think I will get back to my controlled Spa Cuisines (at least for Lunch) which the book says are okay to make it a little more basic. Is there a good Olive Oil based salad dressing that I can buy at the store for my salads? My stores here are Smiths(Kroger), Von's (Safeway), Albertsons, Fresh and Easy, and Whole Foods. I am all about making it easy for myself Also, I am going to re-read my book but are there any good chicken recipes that I can adapt for my little crock pot. I don't mind making myself and indiv. meal at dinner time (making my picky eater Hubby something else, he doesn't eat chicken or fish). I was thinking of trying to make a Mexican chicken by spraying the pot with Olive Oil then placing the Chicken in the Crock Pot and smothering it with Salsa what do you guys think (maybe alittle Fat Free Cheese on top at the end)? I have to get this under controll...............
Old 02-05-2009, 08:29 PM   #9  

I am not doing so great either, but today went well. It seems to matter a LOT whether or not I go into a store where unhealthy goodies are available. So, since I stayed home today, things were okay. Still hanging in...

Dorothygailflyer, I think the chicken you mentioned sounded good! Did you try it?
Old 02-05-2009, 10:47 PM   #10  

HeatherinSC, I did try the Chicken in my small crockpot. I liked it and will make it again!
Old 02-07-2009, 09:47 AM   #11  

Hi ladies. Thin-congrats on your loss. I have had a not so good week. Between being on call and TOM, I have been eating everything that is not naiiled down. I'm afraid to get on my scale. Fortunately, the call is over at least for a few weeks. I got my meal kits in the mail that I mentioned a couple weeks ago. I'm going to try one or two out and I'll let you know what I think. I"m going to try the turkey chili for sure and that one is Sonoma friendly. If these are good, they are another convenient alternative for those of us who tend to get time stressed and the cooking becomes a problem.

There is a lady on the Sonoma site who has lost 80 lbs. She gave us a couple chicken crockpot recipes. One was chicken with canned black beans, frozen corn and salsa. The other was chicken with crushed pineapple and salsa. I tried the black bean one. I found it to be okay. She recommended serving it over brown rice. I served it over this exotic rice blend I happened to have and wanted to use up.

Thin-for lent this year, I am going to try to eat mostly fish and vegetarian meals so I will let you know if I find some that I'm thrilled with. I like eggplant parm. Do you make that? I also have a recipe for a Morrocan stew that is vegetarian that I am looking forward to making. Haven't tried it yet but it looks interesting. Moroccan is probably my favorite ethnic cuisine. I love the blend of spices they use. I also plan to try making falafal patties(made with chickpeas). Those will be somewhat labor intensive but I know I like them.
Old 02-07-2009, 12:53 PM   #12  

My little package came with Jonny Bowden's "The Healthiest Meals on Earth" book in it. There are several vegetarian and fish based recipes in here and I thought I'd share one for Thin that looked not too hard and like it might be pretty good. This is the entree for a whole vegetarian meal that also includes Confetti Basmati Brown Rice, Citrus Avacado Salad, and Strawberry Soup.

Black Bean Cakes
2 cups dried black beans, picked over, rinsed, soaked overnight and drained or 5 cups canned, rinsed and drained
1/2 tsp ground cumin
4 cups water or broth
2 cloves of garlic, finely minced
1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
1/2 tsp salt
1-2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 cup salsa

Combine the black beans, cumin, water or broth in a large saucepan over high heat. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, partially cover and simmer until beans are tender (60-70 minutes). Drain well.

In a large bowl, mash the beans and garlic together well. Stir in the cilantro and salt. Form the mixture into 8 cakes (patties). Transfer to a plate and refrigerate for 1 hour.

In a large, nonstick frying pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the cakes and cook, turning over once until warm and the outside is slightly crisp, about 5-7 minutes. Serve immediately with salsa. Left overs keep well for 2-3 days in the fridge.

The book doesn't say this but I suspect these would also freeze well. If anyone tries them, let me know how they are. Would also be easy to cut this recipe in half.

Last edited by petra65; 02-07-2009 at 12:59 PM.
Old 02-07-2009, 04:17 PM   #13  

Well, hey! I am doing a good job eating today, lol. I ate black beans for lunch myself! Never tried it in cakes though.

I got the book Super Foods Rx, after reading Glory's success story on here. Most of the foods it mentions are Sonoma Power Foods so it ties together well. Then, I've lost some inches with my T-Tapp exercise routine, so I am happy about that. But I still want the scale to go down too.

Hope everyone is doing well.
Heather
Old 02-07-2009, 05:58 PM   #14  

Petra, I missed your thread about the meals you are ordering. Where are they from?
Old 02-08-2009, 12:30 PM   #15  

thehealthypantry.com
Tried one for breakfast this morning-not completely sonoma legal but pretty good. Will make the turkey chili for lunch and let you know what I think. I ordered a sample pak so it had some things in it I wouldn't have ordered if I was doing it ala carte.

The weather here is beautiful this weekend. I took the dogs for a nice long walk this morning. Everyone is tired now.