Old 03-15-2001, 09:11 PM   #1  
Bacon Girlie

S/C/G: see signature

Height: 5/4

Thumbs down

Sorry...the thread was getting long!

Rexanne: You said

One thing I try to do when I'm tempted to eat something bad. I ask myself
what I want more, to get in shape or to enjoy my favorite treat.

I'm going to try that! The simplest things really help sometimes!
Old 03-16-2001, 10:19 AM   #2  

Happy Friday Everyone!
Rexanne-One of the things that makes it easier for me to take my lunch is that I eat leftovers from the night before. I have to cook pretty big meals even though it's just my boyfriend and I, but he's a former athlete who still works out alot and it seems like he never gets full. I started making just a little more and putting it in two tupperware for us to take for lunch the next day so I wasn't tempted by seconds. The only drawback is that since you eat the same thing for dinner and then lunch the next day it can seem redundant. It does require a little planning ahead as far as buying groceries, but I'm really big on lists and planning and routine so it's not a problem for me. I also bring a loaf of bread and jelly, so I can make toast for breakfast. I get to work a little early and eat breakfast there and it's easier to make til snack time and lunch without my stomach growling. That can be hard though if you don't have a break room.

Rexanne,Girlie-I do that too, when I feel like snacking I drink water or I do some crunches or toning exercises. I use that stretchy tubing for resistance as well as 3-lb-10lb free weights. I read an article once that people who fidget or move around a lot burn more calories than the average joe. So if I'm watching tv I do little exercises with the tubing or do squats or lunges, it's not something I do if people are over or once my boyfriend gets back from the gym, but it got kind of addicting once I started.

Have a great weekend everyone, stay positive!-chubs2
Old 03-17-2001, 03:54 AM   #3  

hey girls!

i was just wondering... who do some of u motivate yourself.. do you think if i made some changes.. force myself to do somethings i know i should do... know that would make me feel beter about myself.. but haven't gotten around to doing.. you know.. motivation in other aspects of life too are needed.... i was just wondering what you girls do to stay on top of things.. sometimes my motivation just dries up and out!

let me know..
later girls!
Old 03-17-2001, 01:40 PM   #4  

My class reunion is coming up, so that is one of my motivations. I went to a somewhat snooty high school and I'd love to walk into the reunion and make heads turn...especially since some of the girls I've seen in recent years don't have anything to be snooty about anymore. Most of them did nothing with their lives and aren't the beauty queens they used to be.

What motivates me to get into the gym each day is thinking about all the years I let pass me by where I did nothing about my weight. If I had gotten off my butt and and into the gym five years ago when I put on the first 20lbs, I wouldn't be 40lbs overweight today. I think about how many years I've spent avoiding fun activities because they involved bathing suits. Or how many invitations I've passed on because being around beautiful skinny girls made me feel ashamed of my weight. I've wasted way too much time avoiding dealing with my weight issue, and my motivation is not to waste anymore time!

Hope that helps in some way.

My good news for the day is that I finally lost 4lbs! I'm so excited to see my hard work paying off. Now I can't wait to feel a difference in my clothes and get back into some of my smaller sizes. Not too mention I'm a bridesmaid in June and I want look better in my dress by then. That's another big motivation for me right now.

Have a great Saturday ladies!

Rex
Old 03-19-2001, 10:15 AM   #5  

Congratulations Rexanne, you must be on such a high after your recent success on the scale, way to go girl!

Princessphoebe, much like Rexanne things like weddings, class reunions, and regret are what motivates me to get my butt to the gym and to eat right.
When I'm thinking on indulging myself to snack that isn't on the day I allow myself to have taboo food or skipping a day at the gym I think about all the times I've cried in dressing rooms in the mall, when I couldn't find an outfit that fit. I think about the times when I've overheard people wondering why my boyfriend was still with me. But there are positive things that motivate me too. Like what a high I get from working out at the gym. How I've really come to enjoy pushing myself and reaching little goals I've set for myself. Or like when my boyfriend notices that really motivates me.

Just a note to those of you who are doing the Self Challenge, I have really noticed a difference in how my clothes fit since I've been using the daily portion planner. I sincerely recommend taking a look at it even if you are not participating in the challange. You can see it on there web page if you don't want to purchase the magazine.

Thanks for listening, chubs2
Old 03-19-2001, 11:40 AM   #6  

Hi everyone,

I am back from San Diego and had a wonderful time. I ate tons of good food but thankfully the scale hasn't moved and is right where I left it.

You all seem to be doing great!!!Keep up the good work everyone. I am so ready to get back to exercising. We did a lot of walking out there which I am sure helped balance out all the food I ate.

Rexanne, congrats on the weight loss. It is a wonderful feeling when your efforts start to show. Keep it up, you are definately on the right track.

For me my motivation is a lot of things. My approaching class reunion keeps me in check. All the thin girls at the University here drive me to keep going. And just the fact that I am not getting any younger and I want to live a long healthy life.

Chubs2, I too am loving the Self Challenge although I took last week off when we were away. I have noticed muscle definition for the first time!! That was inspiring for me. At first I always thought I don't want muscles, but now that I am starting to get them, I really like them.

Well, take care guys. I need to get some school work done.
Old 03-19-2001, 11:51 AM   #7  

I get Self, but to be honest didn't pay much attention to the Self Challenge. I will have to take a look at it. It's very encouraging to hear so many people seeing results because of the program.

My boyfriend and I broke up last night after a year and a half. Unlike a lot of people, when I'm upset I can't eat. So, I'm struggling to force myself to eat something today so I don't throw my body out of whack. It really is hard to eat when I have no appetite at all.

It's so great that we are all doing so well. Keep up the good work ladies!

Rex
Old 03-19-2001, 12:07 PM   #8  

Rexanne--

So sorry to hear about the break-up. Please take care and be sure to surround yourself with people that can help you through this time. When one of my friends got divorced, she lost 25 pounds--and she was only 120!!!! We thought she was going to fade into nothing. Do come and chat if you need to... {{{{{HUGS}}}}}

Well...I have been on program, exercising, and I gained 5 pounds this week. I have no idea where they came from....no TOM or anything. I decided to throw my scale outta the window.

On the upside, I did buy a new sweater from GAP. Haven't been able to shop in there for years.

Good luck this week everyone. Hang in there Rex....Abby
Old 03-19-2001, 02:06 PM   #9  

Keep your head up Rexanne! Sorry to hear about breaking up with your boyfriend. I learned a trick once when I lost someone close to me. In a world that thinks you should be happy all of the time, people sometimes forget that it's ok and healthy to feel bad. It just becomes unhealthy when you are feeling bad all of the time. So set aside a certain time of the day to think about the person or situation that makes you feel bad and don't do anything else. Pretty soon fitting that time to feel bad into your daily schedule isn't going to work, you'll be too busy. This can seem too simplistic or maybe even a little silly but it may work for you. It's just a tool to help you try to focus your grief so that it is not all consuming. Plus breakups or major changes in your life can also have very positive effects, like meeting new people or experiencing new things.

Ressey-congrats on the recent shopping experience, isn't it weird how exhilerating a seemingly meaningless purchase can lift you up? As far as weighing yourself goes, how often do you do it? Try to keep this in mind-don't weigh yourself everyday, our weight will go up and down during the day depending on when we eat, take in fluids, or go to the bathroom. If you are keeping a diary of your weight treat it like your taking part in a scientific study, the best way to do it is to be consistent. Have the same number of days in between weighing yourself, wear the same clothing, use the same scale, and do it at the same time in the day. That's really the only way to compare one weighing to another since there are so many factors that effect what the scale says. Lean muscle weighs more than fat so keep that in mind too. Honestly I haven't weighed myself in months, that number is just to powerful for me. Knowing that about myself I avoid it. I do have myself measured at the same frequency I would weigh myself (about every 2-3 weeks). And since I'm either the same or smaller from the previous time, I know that the eating and exercise plan is working. I also know that because I feel it in my clothes.

Welcome back just me, glad you enjoyed your trip. I like muscle definition too. I'm going for a leaner look, so switched from my original weight training plan, I keep the reps high, but the weight lower. I was starting to get chunky muscles which I felt looked kind of like a guys and still made my arms look chubby. I've been seeing some positive results since I switched, and I can still see definition.

Keep up the good work everybody!-chubs2
Old 03-19-2001, 04:53 PM   #10  

Rexanne, I am so sorry to hear about your breakup. Must have been the night last night, my best friend also broke up with her boyfriend and my roommate got in a huge fight with hers although they didn't break up. I hope you are doing alright and I think chubs2's advice is the best - sometimes we just need to cry and feel bad for awhile because it just sucks and it isn't going to get any better until some time has passed. Hang in there.

OK, yesterday was my roommate's birthday and literally all I ate all day was ice cream, crackers, and krispy kreme doughnuts. I was such a cow. This morning I got on the scale and ouch, I have gained 11 pounds in the last 6 weeks. I know we shouldn't rely on the scale but 11 pounds - it can't be lying that much! So I have been good so far today, drinking lots of water, had two fruits and one veggie and *no coke* so you know I must be determined. I am off right now to the Self website before I forget, thanks for the reminder. And I am doing taebo tonight because I really need that workout high right now...

As for me, nothing motivates me like success. Meaning, if I can manage to make it through one day of eating well and exercising, I am MUCH more likely to make it through the next - it's like a snowball effect because all I can think about is how good I have been and how much good I must be doing for my body. On the flip side, I can also be motivated by a night of binge eating - like last night polishing off that ice cream, I woke up with a horrible stomach ache that has made it easy for me not to eat junk food today!

Happy Monday everybody

Last edited by Krista A; 03-19-2001 at 04:56 PM.
Old 03-19-2001, 06:44 PM   #11  
Bacon Girlie

Default Hey Ladies!

I'm glad to see that everyone's up and running today!

Rexanne, I'm sorry too to hear of the breakup. They really suck! This is going to be one of those
"easier said than done" things, but, this is your chance to change your focus! All the time that you
spend with your BF and all the thoughts that you focused on him, can now be focused back toward
yourself!

I'm really hungry...off to make veggie tacos..hope the rest of you are okay!

My trip to Chicago was really nice..did a lot of walking, so I'm trying not to feel bad about
the big shortbread cookie I ate!
Old 03-20-2001, 01:28 AM   #12  

hey girls

i just wanted to give out some love to my girls... sorry to here that some of you have been down.. so have i.. but we can do this together..

we just need to be there for each other...

don't let the *******s get you down!!!
Old 03-20-2001, 01:49 PM   #13  
Bacon Girlie

Default Yay!

Good advice!
Old 03-21-2001, 06:36 PM   #14  

- wanted to share this email I got:

Be Thankful For:

For the taxes that I pay...Because it means that I am employed.

For the mess to clean after a party...Because it means that I have been surrounded by friends.

For the clothes that fit a little too snug...Because it means I have enough to eat.

For my shadow that watches me work...Because it means I am out in the sunshine.

For a lawn that needs mowing, windows that need cleaning, and gutters that need fixing...Because it means I have a home.

For all the complaining I hear about the government...Because it means that we have freedom of speech.

For the parking spot I find at the far end of the parking lot...Because it means I am capable of walking and that I have transportation.

For my huge heating bill...Because it means I am warm.

For the lady behind me in church that sings off key...Because it means that I can hear.

For the pile of laundry and ironing...Because it means I have clothes to wear.

For the alarm that goes off in the early morning hours...Because it means that I am alive.

And finally... for too much e-mail...Because it means I have friends who are thinking of me.

I know that was kind of long and cheesy but I wanted to share it. Helps me put things in perspective. Hope y'all have a great day!
Closed Thread