Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 01-30-2009, 12:56 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 370/325/225

Height: 5'10"

Default Mix-ins for Greek yogurt

Thought we could share some ideas for things to mix in Greek yogurt for a snack. For example, I have tried the following:

Pomegranite seeds and splenda - this is a great combination!
Fresh blueberries and splenda - also great
Fresh strawberries and splenda
Trader Joe's pumpkin butter
Banana slices and splenda

I have also made steel cut oatmeal with some berries and a quarter cup of yogurt as "cream." Not bad.
Marie9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 02:58 PM   #2  

Height: 5'11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie9 View Post
Thought we could share some ideas for things to mix in Greek yogurt for a snack. For example, I have tried the following:

Pomegranite seeds and splenda - this is a great combination!
Fresh blueberries and splenda - also great
Fresh strawberries and splenda
Trader Joe's pumpkin butter
Banana slices and splenda

I have also made steel cut oatmeal with some berries and a quarter cup of yogurt as "cream." Not bad.
I just tried my first bite of Greek yogurt and I gotta say, I'm not feeling the love that most other posters have for it. I'm not sure if it's just that my tastebuds are expecting the sweetness of Yoplait or what. I got the vanilla-flavored and mixed in some unsweetened frozen blueberries. It was very bland and the tartness of the blueberries mixed with the tacky texture--well, I'm not so sure! I added a teaspoon of sugar and popped it into the freezer, so we'll see if I can fool myself into thinking it's ice cream. I'll report back in a little while!

I want to like this, because everyone seems so gung-ho about it!
Windchime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 04:11 PM   #3  

OK, here is my report on the Greek yogurt after freezing it: Not too bad! Once I added the sugar and froze it for 10 minutes, I took it out and mixed it up a little more. The whole thing was blue by then, but the sugar had a chance to meld and it tasted like ice cream (or frozen yogurt, duh, LOL).

So I think that I'll follow this thread and see what other people are mixing in. All I had for lunch was the yogurt and blueberries; I think if I had mixed in a few nuts or some granola I would consider that a complete meal.
Old 02-01-2009, 05:11 PM   #4  
~*Lupo di Autunno*~

S/C/G: 162/115/115

Height: 5'3"

I don't buy Greek yogurt; I just strain regular. I love to mix in macerated strawberries for a really strawberry yogurt. I also make a fruit salad dressing with strained yogurt, honey, lemon juice, and a few other ingredients. Smoothies come out extra thick and creamy by using it as a base - the yogurt, some ice, a few berries or bananas all blended up.
Wolf Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 10:32 PM   #5  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

• Cottage cheese, splenda, and cinnamon (sometimes I top this with berries)
  • Cereal (Trader Joe's High Fiber Cereal, Fiber One Honey Clusters, or original Fiber One) and topped with berries, mango, or pink grapefruit. Sometimes I also add ground flax seed.
  • Raspberries or any other berries
  • I like to make Greek yogurt parfaits: I sweeten the yogurt with SF Torani Syrup, then top it with fruit. I've used berries, mango, and even broiled grapes or apricots (broiling brings out the sweetness in the fruit). Sometimes I sprinkle on some toasted wheat germ.

I use Greek yogurt as a sub for mayo and sour cream all the time. I've used it with tacos, African dishes, salads (like crab salad), and baked potatoes. I also sometimes top hot cereal with it.

Last edited by BlueToBlue; 02-01-2009 at 10:35 PM.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 10:36 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 255/see tracker/180

Height: 5 ft 7 in

Im waiting for some freeze dried strawberries that I ordered specifically to add to my greek yogurt. I also like adding some very fine chopped onions and carrots and a tiny bit of garlic and stuffing celery with it for a snack.
jademarlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 11:50 PM   #7  

WINDCHIME, I hear you, :-) I did not like Greek yogurt at first either, but it kind of grows on you. I tend to like sweet things so I favor the yogurt with fruit or something sweet and usually add splenda as well. It's great with pomegranate seeds and some sweetener. The thing that is really good about it is that it has lots of protein so for a little snack - 1/2 cup plus whatever you mix in - it keeps you from getting hungry for a while.

WOLF GODDESS, I will have to give the smoothie idea a try!
Old 02-03-2009, 06:58 PM   #8  
Working My Way Back Down

HHmmm, I'm sitting here with a bowl on my desk with some yogurt, blueberries and raspberries - waiting for it to warm up some. I don't like it too cold.... Berries are probably my favorite mix-ins. My DH likes raisins and cinnamon in his.

Quote:
I also like adding some very fine chopped onions and carrots and a tiny bit of garlic and stuffing celery with it for a snack.
I'll have to try this. I love onions and peas mixed into cottage cheese - this sounds like it'd be similar.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 07:16 PM   #9  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

A splash of maple-flavored extract (like Mapleine) and a packet of Splenda go very well when mixed together in a small container of Oiknos or Chobani. (I think I've spelled both of those correctly.) I drop a few walnuts on the top & when I eat it, I feel as though I'm having maple walnut ice cream, which I miss, but cannot have around my apartment, because ice cream goes down so smoothly it's hard for me to stop.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 08:17 PM   #10  
back to balance

Height: 5'7"

My favorites are

- (frozen or fresh) blueberries
- bananas
- a little bit of granola
- tablespoon of really good dark honey (lovely!)
- Trader Joe's pumpkin butter or cranberry butter
- 1/2 cup all natural applesauce - this gives it a texture that reminds me a bit of tapioca pudding, and a very nice, subtle flavor
- coconut flakes and/or a little bit of coconut milk

If I'm feeling junk-foody and bingy, I'll mix in

- Dole 100 cal fruit cocktail or sliced peaches
- Sugar free Jell-o
Heffalump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 08:24 PM   #11  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

Hey--where do you find the pomegranite seeds?
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 12:46 AM   #12  

Trader Joe's and Costco both carry pomegranate seeds.
Old 02-05-2009, 01:57 AM   #13  

I'm still experimenting with the Greek yogurt. Today I mixed a container of the plain yogurt with about a tablespoon (?) of sugar-free Cheesecake flavored instant pudding mix. It instantly got WAY thick so I mixed in about a tablespoon of 1% milk. It looked a little curdle-y so I thought I had wrecked it. I whisked it for a few seconds till smooth then popped it in the freezer.

While i had the freezer opened, I saw the blueberries. So I warmed a few up in the microwave (less than 1/4 cup) with a pinch of sugar. I then spooned the chilled yogurty puddingy mixture over it and there you have it.....blueberry cheesecake. It was heavenly, and I couldn't finish off the last couple of bites. I figure it was all of 150 calories, if that.

Can't wait to try it with the sugar free chocolate pudding mix! I can't take credit for this idea; I'm pretty sure I read it someplace but either way, it's good!