Old 01-31-2009, 10:02 AM   #1  
WW on-line since 1/1/2009

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'5"

Default Where do you shop?

I was watching the news this morning and the newscaster, who is about the same size as me, looked so cute! I would love to email her and ask her where she shops, but I don't want to offend her. I mean, she'd probably be annoyed that I was paying less attention to the news and her hard work than I was to her really cute robin's egg blue belted blazer.

Anyhow, where do you shop for cute clothes? I buy Lane Bryant jeans because they fit really well, but I don't like anything else they have. It might be that their clothes seem a bit "young" for me (I'm 41 1/2), but I think it's more because their designers are obviously skinny. I don't know a fat girl anywhere who looks good in gigantic psychedelic swirly prints or empire waists!

As for other shopping, I find that I pretty much have to just buy what fits (I'm a size 20) and just make it work, even if I don't particularly like it.
Jennelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 10:08 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 250/see ticker/170

Height: 5 4"

good topic. Kohls can have cute, simple clothes. i am also a 20. well, now 18ish...but i love love love Gap Outlet. They sell pants up to size 20 and shirts in XXL. In fact, a lot of Gap XL fit me (not button ups, of course).
I am not a fan of Lane Bryant. I think most of their clothes are over the top and flashy and the cute, plain clothes just don't fit right. many dress pants are tight in the waist, but big enough for me to put 3 children in the leg (not in the cute, wide leg way, but in the sloppy too big and unprofessional way).
Some Macy's carry good plus size clothes. I got a cute pair of CK jeans and Silver jeans for like 60% off.
Target has the right idea, but very limited in plus size selection in my geographical area.
katiecron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 10:41 AM   #3  
Here We Go Again

S/C/G: 256 / TICKER / 140

Height: 5'3"

Torrid. It can be a bit expensive. But it's really fashionable.

Old Navy has some nice plus size clothes, too.
WormwoodDoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 11:02 AM   #4  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

Check the credits at the end of the newscast. Many, many newscasters are "outfitted" by clothing stores.
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 11:17 AM   #5  
unabashed

S/C/G: 344/321/220

Height: 5'5

I like lane bryant but I never buy anything patterened.

and their right fit jeans? OMG perfection! :P
lottie63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 11:21 AM   #6  
Loser :-)

S/C/G: 273/251/175

Height: 5ft8

LOL Value Village (2nd hand store near me!) This is a great post, it got me thinking that I NEVER, well hardly ever buy new clothes for myself other than socks, panties and bras! :-(

When I do need to buy something specific...I shop at Lane Bryant mainly for thier jeans, love 'em! I buy t-shirts and other tops at Wal-Mart or Target and hit TJ Maxx or Marshall's for nicer work tops ans special occasion dresses. I got my gorgeous black New Years Eve dress at Marshalls, originally marked $180.00 for $40. I don't know if TJ Maxx or Marshalls are nationwide or just Northwest type stores, they are the kind of stores that get brand new but overstock from other stores. Pretty nice stuff at really great prices if you don't mind digging through 400 items in your size, no two that are alike.

I love Lane Bryant jeans but their tops are funky and pricey and their bras are just the oddest sizes!!

As far as the news caster goes, I'd go ahead and email her! I'd be flattered if someone liked my clothes and wanted to know where I shop.

Last edited by Michelle98272; 01-31-2009 at 11:22 AM.
Michelle98272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 11:39 AM   #7  
unabashed

S/C/G: 344/321/220

Height: 5'5

why are their bras funky sizes?

I LOVE Their bras. and I can actually buy them in the store now! (They now carry F-H in the store for anyone who didn't know!)
lottie63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 12:02 PM   #8  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

We have TJ Maxx in the South.
I like Hamricks but think that is in only a few southern states.
Catherine's - a little pricey but they have good sales.

Online -
Roamans - http://www.roamans.co
Jessica London - http://www.jessicalondon.com
Woman Within - http://www.womanwithin.com/

Lane Bryant catalog has different clothing from the stores - http://www.lanebryantcatalog.com
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 12:05 PM   #9  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

If you have a Dillards, they are my absolute favorite store to shop at but I don't have one here so I'm bummed. Macy's is a close second.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 12:22 PM   #10  
NEVER EVER going back

S/C/G: 377/240's/150

Height: 5 feet 5 inches

because I am more of a hippy sort I used to buy all of my clothes handmade off of ebay. I'd buy other stuff at Addition Elle.

Because now I am losing weight so quickly I tend to just grab a couple of tops in my size at wal-mart (at 8 dollars who cares that they'll be too big in two months.)
cfmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 01:08 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 240/230.6/216

Height: 5'4"

I'm not a fan of Lane Bryant. Occasionally I find something there I like, but for the most part it's expensive, and just makes me look bigger. You're completely right about their patterns. . . .

I tend to shop at Old Navy for just about everything. Other than that, JC Penney.
Gretchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 01:10 PM   #12  
Loser :-)

S/C/G: 273/251/175

Height: 5ft8

Quote:
Originally Posted by lottie63 View Post
why are their bras funky sizes?

I LOVE Their bras. and I can actually buy them in the store now! (They now carry F-H in the store for anyone who didn't know!)

I wear a 40 C, I'm fairly small up top. I don't really get "plus sized" until right below my boobs where all **** breaks loose! The bras I've tried on at LB in my size are oddly shaped. I typically wear Body by Victoria from Victorias Secret size 38C and wear the 2 inch bra extender to get the 40 I need. The LB bras are bigger than I'm used to with more fabric and larger underwires. I think the 40 C there is made for girls that are overall built bigger up top.

Didn't mean to diss your fav bra shop, Lottie!
Michelle98272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 01:21 PM   #13  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

I have not had to buy any clothing since I started losing weight. I have been shopping in my closet. I am looking forward to having to buy clothes when I get too small for my smallest size. That will be size 18.
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 01:41 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 307/281/150

Height: 5'7

alight.com or Cato's have some cute plus size clothing.
RachluvsFashion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 01:48 PM   #15  
FB

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelie View Post
If you have a Dillards, they are my absolute favorite store to shop at but I don't have one here so I'm bummed. Macy's is a close second.
Yeah, yeah! Dillards rocks my world! Macys would be my second choice too, with TJ Maxx and Marshalls coming in after that. Macys can be cheaper than TJ or Marshalls with their crazy sales.
FB is offline   Reply With Quote