Old 01-29-2009, 04:47 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 212/203/154

Height: 5'8"

Default Atkins the third or forth time round?

Does it still work? Or has your body learnt by your previous mistakes and holds on to that fat?

I ask because I lost loads on atkins the first time around then I got pregnant and it all piled back on. Had the baby did atkins again lost a stone then got pregnant again and its all back again.

I've read somewhere that it won't work a third time as sucessfully- is this really true, has anyone ny experience of this? I loved atkins but thought this time around I would just try calorie counting but its just not working

tHANK YOU.
TracyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 09:33 AM   #2  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Hi Tracy,

I'm not speaking from experience (I've been doing Atkins for almost 5 years now) but...I know a lot of people who have done it a few times and like any other eating plan, you get out of it what you are willing to put into it. By that I mean, before you begin, you need to decide if this is something you can do long term. I am a firm believer that successful weight loss & maintenance means changing your eating habits for the rest of your life. That being said, if you don't think you can restrict carbs for the rest of your life, Atkins may not be for you.
Atkins is a regimented plan. Contrary to popular belief, it is not the "all you can eat bacon, butter & red meat diet". Done correctly, it is healthy. You've done it, you know this So, to answer your question, if you are willing to follow the Atkins plan the way it was written and exercise (Dr. Atkins said exercise is non-negotiable)...I believe you can be successful
I'm 47 years old & I feel better today than I did when I was in my 20's...it works!
All the best to you!!
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 09:58 AM   #3  
nirvikalpa samadhi

S/C/G: 369.5/ticker/169.5

Tracy I can answer you directly. This is my third separate time on Atkins. I first found it, and started on it, in 1999 and lost over 100 lbs in well under a year. Then I maintained for about three years, and went back on it and lost about another 50 lbs. Then I went through a bad divorce, got really depressed, quit caring about my weight and in a few months had regained it all plus more. I stayed that way until August of last year, when I recommitted to Atkins for the third time.

I chose Atkins again because I think my body is allergic to sugar. Whenever I eat it, I just want more and more uncontrollably. And it makes me feel horrible, like literal pain, sluggish, tired, sick and unhappy. So I have committed to never having it again, or starch, or other unhealthy carbs. When I move up to higher levels of Atkins I will add in more vegetables, fruits and perhaps eventually healthier carbs, but no more crap. Ever. Some people can have crap in moderation; I am not one of them.

That said, it is taking longer this time to lose than it did the first two times. I think this is because I'm older though, not because my body's more resistant to Atkins. I lost 20.5 lbs the first two weeks, which is when you are supposed to lose 10% of what you can lose overall, so Atkins is working correctly and I'm right on track. It's just the older you are the longer it takes since your metabolism slows down as you age. I was 30 years old the first time, 34 the second and I'm 39 now.

I have finally realized, as Jersey Girl said, that Atkins is a lifetime commitment. It took three tries but I'm finally there mentally. And if you don't think you can, or want to, remain low-carb for the rest of your life, then probably calorie counting or WW or something else would be better for you than Atkins. Best of luck to you on whatever plan you choose!
DCHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 11:25 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 190/182.5/130

I'm trying to decide between starting with Atkins or Southbeach. I've been successful on Atkins before, but have always found a reason to mess it up. Any suggestions on how to maintain? How many carbs do you end up eating daily once you've reached your goal?

Thanks for the help
130star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 09:23 AM   #5  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 130star View Post
How many carbs do you end up eating daily once you've reached your goal?
This is the beauty of Atkins...just as everyone is individual, so is everyone's carb count when it comes to maintaining. I may be able to eat only 40 carbs a day while you may be able to eat 80. Progressing slowly up the carb ladder the way Dr. Atkins instructed, will help you determine your personal carb level

Last edited by JerseyGyrl; 01-30-2009 at 09:24 AM.
Old 01-30-2009, 10:19 AM   #6  
nirvikalpa samadhi

I am staying on induction a while longer. I typically have 18-20 carbs per day, all from romaine lettuce, green beans, eggs and maybe 1-2 other similar items. I was able to maintain for 3 years or so on 35-40 grams of carb per day. I am one of those unlucky highly resistant people he talked about in his book. If I have what's considered a "normal" amount of carb, I gain, even if I'm eating very little otherwise. This is unusual though. If you read the book and follow the plan, you should be able to determine your maintenance level easily.
Old 01-30-2009, 12:31 PM   #7  
Cie
Maintainer

S/C/G: 240/129/130

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracyP View Post
Does it still work? Or has your body learnt by your previous mistakes and holds on to that fat?
It worked again for me. I was one of those people that used it when it first came out and allowed the weight to return when I was younger. I am over fifty this time and had read all of the information about it not working again etc. but like you calorie counting and for me lower carb like South Beach did not work.

It is important to read the book again because it can work so well originally that we do it the same way and hit stalls. I reread it this time and followed it to the letter especially with fat % and reached goal. I am happy I made the decision to go back to Atkins again.
Cie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 10:22 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 190/182.5/130

Thanks for your input regarding maintance I went shopping today, threw out all my carby foods and am ready to begin tomorrow (official weigh-in and all).
I've been successful before, but always seemed to unable to stick with it. I saw results, got excited and then went overboard ruining all my success. I've actually never read the book.... maybe I should.
130star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 11:07 PM   #9  
Larry's Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by 130star View Post
I've actually never read the book.... maybe I should.
I'd recommend reading the book before you try to do the program
Old 02-03-2009, 08:55 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 212/203/154

Thank you all for taking the time to reply

I was waiting 'till today (weigh in) to see if I had lost anything on weight watchers- 1 measly pound So I'm going to go back to what i know works! I'm going to start fresh though and re-read the book again.

Thank you for your help and support
Tracy
TracyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 09:59 AM   #11  
nirvikalpa samadhi

Best of luck to you and definitely read the book cover-to-cover. Having done this now three times, I can tell you, you really, really need to follow his book. Good luck and let us know how it goes!!