Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 01-30-2009, 09:46 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 196/160/125

Height: 5'5"

Default Question about Hummus....

Okay...so last night i'm at walmart with the bf picking up some foods for his lunch this week...and it is taking a loooooonnnngggg time...so i'm getting hungry. And he's getting all these deli meats...so i start looking around and find some Hummus. It's Roasted Red Pepper Hummas with pretzel chips. I don't look at the calories or anything because i remember everyone on here talking about having hummus for breakfast and snacks and stuff and i figure i'm going to splurge on myself and buy this single serving container. Well...i get out to the car and proceed to break it open and i look at the calories and such. One container (3.5 ounces) has 230 cal. (180 cals. from fat) 21 grams of fat, and only 4 grams protein. WTH???? Well...i'm eating it because i spent almost $2 on it and i'm hungry. And it was good...but i'm just curious... when ya'll eat this...do you eat this much of a serving or do you eat less?? I'm sure some of the calories came from the pretzel chips...but still.. seems like a lot of fat.
lumifan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 09:52 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

I'm not sure if I've ever had real hummus. I make something like it. But I only use a dot of oil. Probably you could find better dippers too ... some kind of cracker or veggies??
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 09:59 AM   #3  

Yeah...i thinking maybe celery sticks would be good a good dipper or even cucumbers...but i had never had hummus and this was a cute portable container that i could eat in the car last night to try. But i don't know if there is like a "regular" hummus and a "diet" hummus. I just hear so many people talking about eating hummus when they are watching their weight and i really wanted to try something new in my diet to give me more variety.

Like, i'm going to try some "Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Breeze Soymilk" because it only 30 calories for a whole cup and it's suppose to be really good in cereal and by itself and stuff like that.
Old 01-30-2009, 10:04 AM   #4  

If you make hummus you can control how much oil goes in, but most pre-made hummus is pretty high in fat. I've never seen a low fat hummus, which is a shame, because I love it and I hate making my own!
Darby1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 10:24 AM   #5  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I'll eat premade hummus occassionally. When I visit my mom in CA, one store near her carries fat free hummus. Its really good stuff but I haven't seen the brand here in MD.

I make it myself though, omit the olive oil and sparingly use tahini.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 10:32 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 307/see ticker/197

Height: 5'9

We have a brand here called Barb and Wendy's Skinny Dips...their hummus has .5g fat and 30 cal for 2tbsp. It's SO good...really garlicky (which I love) and I dip celery sticks into it (cucumber and carrots are good too!). That same brand also makes an amazing baba ganoush and bruschetta.
kiki100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 10:42 AM   #7  

S/C/G: S/C/G: 188/173.7/170

Height: 5'7.5"

As you can tell by my name, I love it...

I usually make my own too, and put it into that kind of container. I'll sometimes buy the store-bought hummus, and I think of it as a healthy dip for veggies or whole wheat pita: at least it has some protein, is low cal (for a few tbsps), and to me is far more interesting. It's also filling, because fat and protein are things that make you feel more full, and the fat is from olive oil which is a good fat.

I usually make mine in a blender, and use less oil and more lemon juice than the store-bought stuff.
Hummus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 10:54 AM   #8  

Unless i can find a really, really simple recipe for hummus...or find a low cal version...i will just have to let this one die out. I read a recipe on the calorie counter thread and it had a ToN of ingrediants. And i didn't think it was that great to be spending all that money to make what was hopefully a big portion of the stuff. But the roasted red pepper kind was really good last night. and between me, my bf, and 2 small kids, we didn't even finish the 3.5 ounces...so i know i didn't do much damage last night. But i just didn't know if everyone was eating a "diet friendly" version or just the plain ol store bought version. I'll look around and see if there is a lower fat/calorie one. If not, i'll just skip it and try something else every one is always talking about. :-)
Old 01-30-2009, 10:57 AM   #9  
Bride-to-be!

S/C/G: 192/187/150

Height: 5'7"

I'm actually eating hummus at my desk right now! I eat so much of it (buy it in bulk) that I'm going to start making my own once the huge tub of it in the fridge is gone. My favorite way to eat it is with toasted whole wheat pita and feta cheese. Mmmm! It's also good on sandwiches with lots of veggies. Carrot sticks and red/green bell pepper sticks make good dippers too! My guilty pleasure is saving my pizza crust to dip in it. I heart hummus!
Petunia418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 10:58 AM   #10  

Petunia...what kind are you eating?? how many calories a serving does yours have?? how big is a serving??
Old 01-30-2009, 10:58 AM   #11  
Bride-to-be!

And BTW- you don't need too many ingredients for basic hummus! Garbanzo beans, tahini pasta (optional), garlic, salt, and lemon juice! I like mine pretty basic though...
Old 01-30-2009, 11:02 AM   #12  
Bride-to-be!

I'm not sure of the brand, as I put some in a container to bring with me to work... but I think it has about 40 calories in 2 tbsp. I add 1-2 tbsp of feta to it and dip away! 1/2 a whole wheat pita has 110 calories... so it's about a 200 calorie snack!

....also, make sure you're not buying "hummus dip." I saw that at the store last night and things with the word "dip" on the end tend to have additional creamy ingredients (the same with "guacamole dip")!
Old 01-30-2009, 11:12 AM   #13  
Freedom in living

S/C/G: ?/ticker/180

Height: 5'2"

I am going to try this for Super Bowl party

http://dietandweightlossprograms.com...getables-wrap/
JuliaDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 11:14 AM   #14  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Costco carries it for buying in bulk too but again I think homemade tastes a lot better than in the store.

All you really need to make hummus is chickpeas and even then you could use some other kind of bean.

Real basic hummus:

Chickpeas
lemon juice
olive oil (I omit)
Garlic
tahini (you can omit but gives a nice flavor)
Salt

You can look up recipes but I just kind of wing it.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 11:44 AM   #15  

Thanks guys. I did go to my favorite recipe site, recipezaar.com and looked up a roasted red pepper hummus. It looks pretty easy to make and i have alot of the stuff already on hand. all i have to buy is the roasted red peppers in the jar, garbanzo beans and tahini stuff. so, maybe i can make some at home that will taste just as good. and it says only 84 calories per serving, 2 grams fat...and it makes 8 servings. I thought it might be good for our superbowl spread.