Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 01-28-2009, 07:49 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 415/238/220

Height: 5' 11"

Default Chaffing solutions

Forgive the topic, anyone else have issues with skin chaffing or infections between skin. I'm down 80lbs and have some issues with hanging skin. Doc gave me some steriod cream, but I don't want to keep putting medicine on me forever? It clears it up, but it keeps coming back, I've tried baby powder, but doesn't work for more than a couple of hours. Ideas?

Wes

Last edited by JustWes; 01-28-2009 at 10:05 PM.
JustWes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 08:25 PM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

What do you mean that baby powder doesn't work long term, like it only lasts for a few days or like it wears off?

I luckily haven't had much issues but I did get a rash last year and ended up using gold bond powder. I'd shower, dry really well and apply the powder. Luckily, the rash went away but if your chafing issues are continuous, you may need to use powder on a daily basis.

I think others have said shave cream works as well?
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 08:37 PM   #3  

S/C/G: Too much/Less/Just Right!

Height: 5'4"

In the baby diaper department, there is a rash powder in a pink container called Caldesene Powder. It's the best I've ever used. Diaper rash cremes tend to make my rash worse.
Chelby29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 08:50 PM   #4  
Loving life!!

S/C/G: 360/159/145

Height: 5' 8"

For chaffing I use something that I sell called Coochy After Shave protection mist....if I remember to put it on in the morning it'll last all day and keep me from getting it when my legs rub together. If I forget I'll spray it over the "chub rub" and it dries to form a protective barrier so it'll get a chance to heal.
TJFitnessDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 09:12 PM   #5  

S/C/G: SW308/CW159/GW170

Height: 5'7"

Default Been there, still doing that!

Been having problem with this for years now. What works for some won't work for others.

Could be bacterial; could be fungal. I'm not a doctor, but here is what works for me. I have to wash the fold two to three times a day (dry really well) when it is really bad and apply an antifungal cream. I get one by RX oruse the Equate brand of clotrimazole cream 1% (not as good as RX, but it is something I can keep on hand and doesn't cost me a mint) After I get it cleared up, I wash it frequently use a cornstarch powder with zinc oxide in it. Right now it is Johnson's medicated baby powder. In the summer when I'm really sweaty and swim alot, I use zinc oxide (white stuff you put on your nose to protect it from the sun) to keep my folds dried out. First sign of itching and burning and I'm back to the antifungal cream. It has gotten so bad a times the doctor will have to prescribe antifungal meds by mouth. I also dry my belly button and folds with the hair dryer after I get out of the shower. When it is exceptionally bad, at bedtime, I have had to put a pillow case between folds to keep from having skin on skin.

Most of all follow what your doctor tells you, but be proactive about it and head it off as much as you can. If you think plastic surgery is in the future for you, make sure you have it documented by your doctor.

8 0 # 8 0 # 8 0 # 8 0 # WOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOW!
WTG WES!
nanj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 10:06 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 242/199/160

Height: 5' 5"

what works for me is washing/drying the area real well with an ivory soap solution and then applying Absorbine Jr. It is a pain relieving liquid used for Hot, Itchy Feet and is also used for sore muscles & Arthritis. It burns at first when you apply it, but only burns for a few seconds & then the relief takes over. Corn starch or Dr Scholl's foot powder also helps soothe it too and keep it dry. I use it for my athlete's feet when I get an outbreak and I also use it for chaffing between my butt cheeks. Good Luck!

Last edited by Freckles; 01-28-2009 at 10:07 PM.
Freckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 10:06 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 415/238/220

Height: 5' 11"

Thanks Nancy, great advice. I see the doc tomorrow, I'll keep mentioning it. The excess skin issue looks like its here to stay.
JustWes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 10:09 PM   #8  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

One of my closest friends have this issue...she likes Gold Bond
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 09:28 AM   #9  
Old Cackler

WES!!!! it's probably a candida infection - i get them A LOT!!!! it's because of the excess skin. the only solution is surgery to get rid of the skin - and for that reason [the frequent infections], many insurance companies will cover it [but not ALL companies]

steroid creams WILL NOT WORK on this.
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 10:03 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 297/137/150

Make sure you mention it to your doctor. My doctor has been taking photos of my skin infections since they began. He told me it may help when I decide it is time for plastic surgery. My insurance is one of the ones that likes to fight the payment of the surgery.
Ophelia924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 10:41 AM   #11  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

This thread is pretty informative. I'm hoping to make this year a losing year which most likely means more loose skin and my belly button already looks like a little prune.

Wes,

Another thing is loose skin can get better with time although if you had WLS and your insurance covers plastic surgery, then do document. I've been losing for nearly 5 years and the worst loose skin is always after I drop a large chunk of weight over a short period of time. Then within a year it seems to get slightly better. I remember the first 70 lbs were the worst.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 02:48 PM   #12  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Depends on where the loose skin is? if its on top of the thigh near the belly what I do is buy bigger undies and tuck the extra material under/between the skin. This helps me alot. Keep it dry and clean.
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 09:49 AM   #13  
I got my DS done 4-26-10

S/C/G: 463.1/273/170

Height: 5' 5 1/2

I have not had surgery yet but I do have a large belly "apron" and have had these problems off and on for years and I am sure they will just get worse
Like the women here I wash very good with a mild soap and dry it well, I have had yeast infections there (as well as under my arms and breasts) and it is miserable...DO NOT SCRATCH that is how I spread mine. After I am done I follow the drs order and instead of talc alone I use gold bond.... until it heals then I will wash and dry it and one of the ways I do this is to invest in a very soft fluffy towle and after I have dried it with another I will sit for a few minutes with it tucked up in the fold and when I am sure I am nice and dry I spray on anti-persperant...I use degree since it is mild, does not sting unwounded skin (if it does sting check for wounds and start treatment again) and has a slightly powdery texture, yes I know it is a womans spray but I have tried the mens and most of them BURN and sticks never feel dry unless I use secret, which if you ask me is almost too girly...LOL
In the summer I do all that AND I buy those yellow flannel dusting cloths (the long ones) I wait til the degree is dry (about 30 seconds) then fold the cloth in half and tuck it under my tummy and leave it there. I am not sure how you are built but it stays there with me.
I also dont wear tight underwear, you might try those jersey boxers they are soft and breath and wont make things worse.

Hope this helps
SpookyXXL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 11:26 AM   #14  

S/C/G: SW308/CW159/GW170

Height: 5'7"

Spooky brought up something that I had forgotten. Antiperspirant deods. It helps to dry up the moisture between the skin folds and keeps the area dry and keeps the fungi yeasty stuff from growing and getting worse. Thanks Spooky!
nanj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 04:55 PM   #15  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Height: 5'5"

I work for a veterinarian and my hubby works at the landfill. It seems one or the other of us always has some kind of rash we humorously refer to as "jungle rot".

I'm a big fan of a salve called Oto-Soothe, which I get at work. It's mainly prescribed for ear infection in dogs. It's an anti-fungal/bacterial. The stuff is wonderful.

Something else, your laundry soap and softener. I can't use any kind of softener, liquid or dryer sheets. All sweaty parts, plus anywhere bra, sock, underwear, waistbands, cuffs rub I turn red and it's like it's on fire. I've gotten up in the middle of the night and showered it's so bad.

I now use "All free and clear" and no softener. I realize changing soap isn't the answer to your question, but if you're using highly scented perfumy stuff and a lot of softener, changing to a non allergenic will at least not irritate the area more.

good luck!
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote