Old 01-23-2009, 11:46 AM   #1  
I'm ready to get started!

S/C/G: 208/208/125

Height: 5'1"

Question Salad dressings, bacon ???

I am fixing to start the induction phase. I know the book says you can use regular dressing as long as it doesn't have added sugar and are 2 carbs or less. The dressings I have looked at are 2 carbs or less but have sugar listed in the ingredents. Does anyone have any suggestions on what dressings to use?

Also, what brands of bacon should I look out for? I know the book says ones that do not have added sugar or nitrates.

Thanks for any help.
ferrarimomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 12:01 PM   #2  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

As far as salad dressings are concerned, I use full fat ranch, no specific brand. I just make sure its 2 carbs or less per 2 Tbsp serving.

Its very difficult to find salad dressings or mayo that does not contain sugar unless you are willing to make your own. I usually buy Hellmann's or Kraft mayo and have never had any difficulties with it.

Nitrate free bacon is difficult to find. Health food stores & stores like Whole Foods (or Whole Paycheck, as my DBF calls it!) carry it but...its quite costly. I just buy regular bacon at the grocery store. I don't eat it very often.
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 12:51 PM   #3  
Going on a cruise w NKOTB

Height: 5'3"

Default Movin' toward cruisin' with the NKOTB!

Hey gang. I'm only one week into this and I'm sick to death of ranch! Are there other store brands that are induction friendly? Do you have any recipes to make dressing WITHOUT SPLENDA OR OTHER ARTIFICIAL SWEETNERS (they seem to be all I have found.) I would love any info. Thanks!
NickiChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 01:03 PM   #4  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

These are some salad dressings you can make yourself...they are also suitable for Induction

http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/basic_vinaigrette.html
http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/chipotl..._dressing.html
http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/smoky_1000_island.html

I've also been able to find bleu cheese, cesar and creamy italian varieties of dressings at the grocery store that are low in carbs. Read labels

Old 01-28-2009, 10:44 AM   #5  
nirvikalpa samadhi

S/C/G: 369.5/ticker/169.5

Height: 5'8"

I'm not doing salad dressing this go-round on Atkins because I'm afraid of anything that might cause me to crave carbs or stall, but last time I was on it I used the Marie's brand Thousand Island. It comes in small jars and it's in the refrigerated section of produce, not on the aisle with all the other salad dressings. It is expensive but it is much higher in fat and lower in carb than Kraft or other commercial dressings. It also tastes a lot better!
DCHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 11:46 AM   #6  
Larry's Angel

I looked at the Marie's Thousand Island dressing in the jar but, the carb count was 4 carbs for 2 Tbsp. which is about 2 carbs too much for me. I'm cautious about thousand island dressings unless I make it myself because they usually contain sweet pickle relish.
Old 01-28-2009, 09:29 PM   #7  
nirvikalpa samadhi

S/C/G: 369.5/ticker/169.5

Height: 5'8"

When I used it, I only dipped the very tip of what was on my fork in it--generally ended up using about 1/2 T per 2 cup salad . . . oh I'm quite sure it has high-sugar relish in it; that's why it was so good!

It was a challenge at first to eat plain salad no dressing but to be honest I really enjoy it now. During the summer I grow my own lettuce and it is so much better than store-bought . . . I learned to eat it no-dressing even before I committed to going back on Atkins . . .
DCHound is offline   Reply With Quote