Old 01-25-2009, 04:41 PM   #1  
yes girl

S/C/G: 201.4/179.8/130

Height: 5'0"

Default wondering if these have any validity?

have u heard the following? and do you kow if they are true or not?

1. Ice cold water raises your metabolism. The colder the water is - The more weight you'll lose because... Your body has to keep burning calories (or keep burning fat) to heat the cold water back up to body temperature.

2. working out in the morning burns more fat?

another question- are there any specific vitmamins i should be taking (besides multivitamin) while trying to lose weight?
onestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 04:43 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

I've heard of both I don't really believe either. As far as the exercising goes, I think wherever you can fit it in in your life - morning, afternoon, evening, is the best time for you to do it. If you aren't a morning person, forcing yourself to get up early to exercise in the morning might make it harder to stick to.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 04:49 PM   #3  
unabashed

S/C/G: 344/321/220

Height: 5'5

I've seen these "tips" on ED sites when I had eating problems, so I hope that you aren't looking at those.

About the excersize I'm sure your body will thank you whenever you can get to it!
lottie63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 05:21 PM   #4  
Meg

Ice cold water doesn't increase your metabolism, but it may use an extra 1 - 2 calories to bring it to body temperature. You decide if it's worth it.

There aren't any studies that show more fat is burned when we exercise on an empty stomach (not just in the morning). It's one of those gym "urban legends", along with the "fat-burning zone".

As for vitamins, a good multi-vitamin is recommended for those of us restricting calories because it can be hard to meet all our daily requirements. I'm not aware of any other vitamins that help with weight loss. As women, we need to monitor our calcium intake but that's not weight-related. And fish oil is highly recommended as a source of omega 3's, but again, it won't have an impact on weight. Just health.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 05:24 PM   #5  
Caroline

Height: 5'0"

I drink ice cold water all the time and it's taking me forever to lose weight, so I'm going to go with 'not true' on that one
thistoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 05:27 PM   #6  

Height: 5ft6'

I heard that both cold water and hot water (like in tea) makes you burn more calories. But I think the amount is so small that it makes absolutly no difference. I can't drink it to cold wither cuz I tend to chug my water and I get brain freeze. As for when you work out ... I also heard both. In the am you burn more all day. If you work out at night you burn more when you sleep. So I think it's whats best for you. Lots of exercise and lots of water regardless of the time or temp.

Hope that helps.
TraceyElaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 06:24 PM   #7  
Motivated for 2009

S/C/G: 240/200/125

Height: 5'5"

Hmm I haven't heard those. I am working out in the evening though and drink room temp. water lol so I am not doing either of those. I am still losing weight though! I think as long as you are putting in the work you will lose weight either way!
2ndChance09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 06:42 PM   #8  
=D

Even if you were constantly eating chilly, freezing cold, and drinking icy water... the difference these things make to your metabolic rate are probably minimal

Working out on an empty stomach isn't a great idea either - plus if you have some carbs beforehand, you can push yourself further and get more results.
mazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 06:45 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 225/222.5/165

Height: 5'7

Red face

I have heard that about the cold water.

But I have also heard that the mind is the most powerful gift we have in our weight loss journey. If we believe we can then we can. I am trying that on myself.

junebaby is offline   Reply With Quote