Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 01-25-2009, 03:24 PM   #1  
To fly like Nadia again

S/C/G: 242/ticker/115

Height: 5' 0.5"

Talking I'm proud that I made myself vomit :D

So today I was exercising and listening to the Jillian Michaels radio show during the last hour of the show and then I got to putting on my music when the show was over and really pushing myself. Well I was 1/2 a set of abs away from being done with my really hard part of my work out (only stretching was left) and all of a sudden I had to get up and puke. I thought I was going to have the heave and spit kinda thing but it was full on puke! As gross as it is, I have to say that I'm proud that I made myself vomit. It means I pushed myself to the brink. And as Jillian says "If you're not puking, you're just not working hard enough." I actually went on to finish my work out because there wasn't much left to do. I know its gross but I had to share with all of you my triumph!!!!

Last edited by gymlee; 01-25-2009 at 03:25 PM. Reason: needed re-wording
gymlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 03:31 PM   #2  

I'd see that as a worrying development, not a triumph. Sorry. You'll injure yourself...I'm sure that woman didn't mean it literally. If she did, she's seriously insane.
CousinRockingChair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 03:47 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I agree with Emily.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 03:47 PM   #4  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

If you've got a personal trainer and physicians within 20 feet of you, are linked up to sensors monitoring your vitals, and have an ambulance parked ouside your door, like the Biggest Loser contestants do --- I'd say sure, exercise until you puke if you want to, but without those precautions, exercising 'til you puke, probably not very smart, especially if you were alone in the house.

Last edited by kaplods; 01-25-2009 at 03:51 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 04:09 PM   #5  
Magic Girdle Not Included

S/C/G: 180/ticker/127

Height: 5'5"

Your drive is great, but it needs balance.

It's excellent to push yourself, but you don't want to push yourself to the point of injury. That will only set you back.
Hippolyta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 04:11 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 230/148.5/145

Height: 5'6''

I agree with you girls--we at home do NOT have the trained professionals nearby (well some MAY) in case we do get to the point of exertion and puking.

I got a scare last year from over exertion..I was out shovelling snow on a Saturday morning and I hadn't eaten. When I came inside I became dizzy and nauseous..my vision was a little blurry and I was so thirsty I managed to pour up a glass of water...however I had no strength and was afraid to carry it to my room (thinking i'd drop it for sure)..so i left it and stumbled in and just collapsed on my bed. Luckily my sister was home and I called out to her to get me the water. A few friends and family said my sugar was probably really low...so from then on I ate a banana before going to shovel and took breaks while shovelling snow. ( Being in Canada the snow as you all know is INSANE!)

The only time I made myself throw up was when I binged on pizza..after a long time without eating takeout...and I ate so much I made myself sick. I'm not proud to have made myself do that either...not a healthy habit for anyone to develop..and I haven't done it since..just took some control of my eating..lol..before I got the "sick" feeling

Last edited by angelanicole23; 01-25-2009 at 04:15 PM.
angelanicole23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 04:26 PM   #7  
Loser :-)

S/C/G: 273/251/175

Height: 5ft8

I can understand where the original poster is coming from. I actually don't exercise currently but years ago, I was very fit and 20+ years younger...I was in the Army. In boot camp, I was proud of myself for working so hard in PT and then in running that I threw up. I took it as a very obvious sign that I was working hard.

That being said...I am older and wiser. I can understand the other poster's concerns, too. It could be dangerous to work that hard on a regular basis. It's also important to get a doctors okay before you begin a new exercise regime (especially if you are seriously overweight and out of shape).
Michelle98272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 04:27 PM   #8  
To fly like Nadia again

Maybe I should clarify that I'm proud that I pushed myself hard and that vomiting was a by-product of that. And I probably only ended up puking because 1) I either had too many toxins in my body for having eaten crap the past few days or 2) It was because I was raising my heart rate (I was monitoring with a heart rate monitor and it was within a safe level) up and down quickly. And as for the comment Jillian made I used it as a joke. She once said it on the show The Biggest Loser this one episode when one of her contestants was on the brink of puking because she was pushing him hard. I was making sure that I was hydrating myself throughout the workout and I had eaten about an hour before I started working out so I wasn't running on empty. I understand your guys' concern but it's really ok. I guess it was more that I'm proud I pushed myself so much.
Old 01-25-2009, 04:45 PM   #9  
Owned by Dixie

Height: 5'4"

I am a huge fan of Jillian Michaels, but her radio persona is not the same a BL persona, She NEVER ask the person doing this at home to work till they puke.

I understand why you are proud, it is because you feel like you hit a turing point. BUT it shouldn't be a goal in your daily endevor to get healthy.

Jillian promotes making choices, being modorate and making changes that even if they take a while, can make a lifetime of change to make the helthy change forever.

So good for you for hitting that changeing point. I get it, but don't do it again
L144S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 04:56 PM   #10  
To fly like Nadia again

Oh of course. I wasn't planning on making working out til I puke a daily endeavor. That would be bad. I listen to Jillian every week so I know what you're saying about what Jill says about doing things in moderation. She also talks about doing high intensity work and how it burns the most calories during and after. I was doing the high intensity portion of my work out and I this time around I ended up puking I pushed so hard. That's basically what happened. I just happen to proud of the fact that I pushed hard and puking was the by-product.
Old 01-25-2009, 05:26 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by L144S View Post
I am a huge fan of Jillian Michaels, but her radio persona is not the same a BL persona, She NEVER ask the person doing this at home to work till they puke.

I understand why you are proud, it is because you feel like you hit a turing point. BUT it shouldn't be a goal in your daily endevor to get healthy.

Jillian promotes making choices, being modorate and making changes that even if they take a while, can make a lifetime of change to make the helthy change forever.

So good for you for hitting that changeing point. I get it, but don't do it again
I agree with this post 100%
walking2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 07:41 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 180/172/155

I'm missing something...
kaebea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 08:02 PM   #13  
Owned by Dixie

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaebea View Post
I'm missing something...
Jillian Michaels is the trainer on the biggest loser, she also has a radio show on KFI (you can google it and listen, Good information) anyway, She will work the contestant till they puke and it was said last week, week before that puking is an indication that the contestans are pushing past a point where they are now releasing toxins which get stored in fat. Again, the original poster hit that point today while working out and the point is that on the BL they are monitored all the time with 24 hour cameras, doctors, and med staff, the abve poster is not. but the traner's persona on the show is NOT what they advocate for the people at home working through to a better life style, HOWEVER we who watch the show and listen to the radio show can appriciate the point where you have pushed past a barrier to move on...
L144S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 08:06 PM   #14  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

The "releasing toxins" theory, is such complete BS, that I'm really surprised and disappointed that Jillian would use it. Toxins do not get stored as fat - fat gets stored as fat. Puking is not a sign of toxin release, unless you've actually been poisoned, with known toxic substances, not mysterious, unnamed "toxins."

Last edited by kaplods; 01-25-2009 at 08:07 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 08:33 PM   #15  
To fly like Nadia again

I think what she meant is that toxins get store IN fat not as fat. I'll admit that no, I don't have doctors, EMS, and personal trainers supervising me, but I never meant to have this happened. I didn't go to start working out today thinking, "Hmmm how can I make myself throw up??" What happened was I was working hard and pushing through and it happens that I got to a point where I vomitted. When I say that I'm proud that I made myself vomit should probably be I'm proud that I pushed so hard (and that pushing so hard vomiting was a by-product). When I initially posted it, it was more of an excitement for having been able to push so hard when originally today I just wasn't into the whole work out thing. I think you can all grasp that concept of being happy that you pushed through a work out even if you weren't all that into it at the start. Really I'm just happy to have made it through and pushed really hard and the vomiting was an indicator of just how hard I really did work.

I appreciate all of your concern but this was only this one time that I actually threw up and it was not intentional. I would NEVER advocate this kind of thing to anyone else as I understand that it is dangerous. All I was trying to say was that I was happy with an accomplishment and that I was looking for congrats for doing a good job. I never expected it to turn into this. Like I said, I understand and appreciate all of the concern but I really don't need a lecture on how it can be dangerous if you try to work out like this everyday, especially without supervision.

I'm definitely an advocate for moderate and lasting changes- I've done them myself over the course of the last 5 months. It took me until the last few weeks to start implementing regular exercise which is one of the reasons I probably had the outcome I did because it has been so long since I worked out and I pushed too hard. It's difficult for me not to push hard because I'm a former athlete (a gymnast) and in my sport we pushed ourselves to the brink all the time and I guess I missed that. I was never intending to puke and stir such controversy by posting this. I merely wanted to share my excitement for making it through a work out that I didn't want to do in the beginning and working hard in the process.

And I also want to say that I hope in the future what you guys will post in response to this thread will be a little more positive otherwise I will close the thread. Just an FYI.