View Poll Results: Which best describes your current WOE (way of eating)?
Low-calorie 36 56.25%
Low-carbohydrate 13 20.31%
Low-fat 3 4.69%
Other 12 18.75%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-24-2009, 07:43 PM   #1  
Made in England!

S/C/G: 260/260/169

Height: 5' 4"

Question Low Calorie, Low Carb, Low Fat?

What approach are you taking to tackle your excess weight, and how's it working out for you?
DishyFishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 07:49 PM   #2  
Made in England!

Default Me first!

This time around I'm doing low-carb, mod-protein, and high-fat. I'm not consciously counting calories, but my tracking tool shows they come in at about 1900 a day. With the exception of sugar-free jelly and DaVinci S-F syrups, I don't use any packaged/processed foods.

My progress is slightly slower than when I did a low-fat, high-carb (whole foods) WOE. I weigh 3 pounds more on the scale (compared with what I'd lost at the 12 week stage last time on 1600 kcals a day), but my measurements (bust, waist, and hips) are the same.

Overall I have more energy and less hunger. I'm wondering whether that's the extra 300 kcals a day, or the different composition of macronutrients.

Last edited by DishyFishy; 01-24-2009 at 07:50 PM.
Old 01-24-2009, 08:08 PM   #3  
Sandy....

S/C/G: 270/207.8/155

Height: 5'5

I doing the low calories, trying to stay at 1600 for now. I am also trying to stay away from red meats, high fats and sugars. Just trying to eat healthier. This is how I have lost weight to this point, along with exercise.
mygritsconfessions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 08:15 PM   #4  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I've chosen a low carb exchange plan (so it's controlled calorie as well). Because the carb count is a bit higher than many low-carb plans, maybe controlled carb is a better description). I'm also finding a heck of a time sticking with it, but I think some of that is cabin fever. I'm so ready for spring.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 08:20 PM   #5  
2 wheels is plenty :D

S/C/G: 264/195/150

Height: 5'4"

I would call it "controlled calories" more than low calories. It works just fine combined with exercise. If I could talk myself into buckling down to low calories I could probably take off the last few. Nuff said
chick_in_the_hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 08:22 PM   #6  
No longer super size!!!

S/C/G: 282/ticker/190

Height: 6' 0"

I'm "good carbing (low carb)" it for now on South Beach. It seems to be working so far (when I stay on plan, of course).

Last edited by grneyedmustang; 01-24-2009 at 08:23 PM.
grneyedmustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 08:26 PM   #7  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Actually its hard to fit my plan into one category. All plans need to be low calorie in order for you to lose weight, how you achieve that depends up to you. Carby foods tend to pack calories and make you hungry which is why low carb works. Low fat works by removing the high calorie fat foods from your diet.

My diet is whole foods, vegan, relatively low fat, restricted carbs with monitored low calorie. I don't eat any animal products, I eat some healthy fats but not a lot, I eat some carby items but avoid high carby items such as bread, pasta, etc but will eat a limited amount of whole grains and currently I'm doing weight watchers.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 08:49 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 284/207/165

Height: 5 ft 3

I'm doing Atkins, so low-carb and high fat is what I concentrate on. For me, carbs are such a trigger for to binge it's best for me to detox through induction, and not have to deal with cravings except for the hormonal cravings near my cycle. With Weight Watchers, I just couldn't get past the binges, because the carbs were allowed in moderation. If I could handle moderation, I wouldn't have gained all this weight to begin with!!
pengbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 09:04 PM   #9  
Made in England!

Congrats on your incredible loss, nelie, and everyone else for that matter! That's a serious number of pounds that have been seen off!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelie View Post
All plans need to be low calorie in order for you to lose weight, how you achieve that depends up to you.
I'm not convinced that this statement is entirely accurate. There's a lot of controversy surrounding how the body utilises different macronutrients, and some schools of thought dispute that all calories are treated the same.

When I'm a bit further along with my journey I fully intend to do a mini study of my own to see how different proportions of carbs, fat, and protein affect my weight and measurements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pengbear View Post
If I could handle moderation, I wouldn't have gained all this weight to begin with!!
I never used to think I had a problem with carbs, but my sister reminded me of the time we were at the Indian restaurant, and I was insisting we needed more rice. I said, "you'd be surprised at how much rice I can eat"; and she was!
Old 01-24-2009, 09:23 PM   #10  
unabashed

S/C/G: 344/321/220

Height: 5'5

oops. I accidently hit low carb instead of low calorie. but I"m sort of doing a smidge of both.
lottie63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 09:25 PM   #11  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Quote:
Originally Posted by DishyFishy View Post
Congrats on your incredible loss, nelie, and everyone else for that matter! That's a serious number of pounds that have been seen off!

I'm not convinced that this statement is entirely accurate. There's a lot of controversy surrounding how the body utilises different macronutrients, and some schools of thought dispute that all calories are treated the same.

When I'm a bit further along with my journey I fully intend to do a mini study of my own to see how different proportions of carbs, fat, and protein affect my weight and measurements.
Well I think it depends although I did read that the average person in China eats more calories than the average american but they are a lot more active than us too.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 09:40 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 262/See Ticker/135

I count calories - watch my carbs - and I don't eat much meat, fish or poultry (like a couple of times a month). I eat a lot veggies and try to stay away from processed foods . I have been wondering if I need to add more protein to my diet.....

Last edited by Randi; 01-24-2009 at 09:43 PM.
Randi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 11:09 PM   #13  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

I watch the calories, eat unprocessed foods, no added sugar or HFCS, watch the fruits, and limit the whole grains....basically, South Beach. I do agree with Nellie that calorie control is imperative to weight loss. However, I also have to watch my natural sugar intake and my starch intake. Too much of these and I don't lose despite how careful I am with my calories.
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 11:23 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 300/ticker/ONEDERLAND!

Height: 5'9

I'm doing a Low-fat Low-cal diet. It has been working amazingly well. Everyday I learn something new, though. I often change my meals up everyday to try and make it better. Like just recently I added more protein. The weight is coming off at about 3lbs a week on average.
heather88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 12:44 AM   #15  
Hanging in the Heartland

S/C/G: 470/220/170

Height: 5"8"

Nice to see you dishyfishy. I was doing the whole foods, controlled carb approach (not low) but just couldn't lose any weight. I have moderated it to include lower calorie and low fat foods and find that that has given me a little nudge in the downward direction.
activeadventurer is offline   Reply With Quote