Old 01-22-2009, 08:51 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 284/207/165

Height: 5 ft 3

Red face Ketosis = High Energy. High Energy = NO SLEEP!!

I've been on Atkins for the last couple years, and in ketosis most of that time. But I did decide to go off plan around the holidays, and just worry about portions. I didn't lose any weight, but I didn't gain either. I just ate very little carbs, and filled up on veggies and meat instead of the chocolates, breads, potatoes, etc that were available. I was pretty pleased!

However, I got back into ketosis a couple weeks ago, and also back on the treadmill after several months off. I am in very deep ketosis, like the crazy deep purple stage. On the upside, my skin is gorgeous, I'm drinking lots of water so I feel good, I'm losing weight, and I have high energy. But, I just lay awake in bed at night, I can't sleep! If I do drift off, I wake up around a dozen times a night. I'm about to go nuts!

As far as caffeine, I have about 2 cans of diet mountain dew a day, no coffee, no tea, nothing else. I don't drink caffeine after 1 pm, so I know it's not that stuff still in my system. Has anyone else run into this problem?
pengbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 09:34 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 261/237/200

Height: 5'3"

doesn't the dark purple sometimes mean that you're dehydrated? Maybe drink more water? I know this sounds silly, but drinking lots of water makes me really sleepy. Maybe I'm retaining it, I don't know.
ale2121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 10:03 PM   #3  
nirvikalpa samadhi

S/C/G: 369.5/ticker/169.5

Height: 5'8"

How much exercise are you getting (you said treadmill)? This has nothing to do with ketosis but sometimes when I have trouble sleeping I take valerian ("nature's valium"). I get the high-quality stuff from GNC. One capsule does it. I take melatonin nightly for severe insomnia but the valerian's good for the nights that melatonin doesn't do it. Not often, but it does happen.
DCHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 08:13 AM   #4  

Re: the water, I don't know. I drink about a gallon a day, so I don't know how much more I can drink without forcing it down.

I'm on the treadmill between 35 - 45 minutes a day. I have resorted to taking sleep aids (over the counter) a couple times but I've struggled with being dependent on them in the past. I really don't won't to get in the habit of having to take something to sleep.

Maybe if I jack up my carbs and get to a lesser stage it'll help.
Old 01-23-2009, 09:54 AM   #5  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Sleeplessness due to ketosis occurs in some people and is due to hormones & neurotransmitters being effected by low carb eating.
How low carb are you eating? You may want to consider upping your carbs to determine if that has a more positive effect on your body.

Last edited by JerseyGyrl; 01-23-2009 at 09:55 AM.
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 10:45 PM   #6  

Hi JerseyGyrl! I'm eating around 25 - 30 a day. Mostly meat & veggies, some cheese, For instance, todays menu:
a scramble for breakfast (2 eggs, cheese, sausage, tiny bit of onion)
snack = Kroger lowcarb yogurt (3 net carbs)
lunch = smoked sausage, cheese, 3 ritz crackers
dinner = 6 oz beef, spinach, sauteed mushrooms

And this is pretty average. I'm not a lettuce or tomato eater, so i get my veg's as side items, not necessarily in salad. I eat lots of fat, and I've just never run across this. I guess I need to start eating some more dairy to up the carb level. I was just curious if anyone else had to deal with this. I'm not hungry, I'm ok with what I eat, and I'm loathe to start messing with my menu when I'm losing, but boy do I need some sleep!

What do you think?

Last edited by pengbear; 01-23-2009 at 10:47 PM.
Old 01-24-2009, 12:53 AM   #7  
Aussie Chick

S/C/G: 99/86/65

I have the same problem with a lack of sleep when in ketosis, even when I'm caffiene free. I've been relying on sleep aids too. After 4 nights no sleep I was climbing the walls.
kathyhegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 07:31 AM   #8  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by pengbear View Post
Hi JerseyGyrl! I'm eating around 25 - 30 a day. Mostly meat & veggies, some cheese, For instance, todays menu:
a scramble for breakfast (2 eggs, cheese, sausage, tiny bit of onion)
snack = Kroger lowcarb yogurt (3 net carbs)
lunch = smoked sausage, cheese, 3 ritz crackers
dinner = 6 oz beef, spinach, sauteed mushrooms

And this is pretty average. I'm not a lettuce or tomato eater, so i get my veg's as side items, not necessarily in salad. I eat lots of fat, and I've just never run across this. I guess I need to start eating some more dairy to up the carb level. I was just curious if anyone else had to deal with this. I'm not hungry, I'm ok with what I eat, and I'm loathe to start messing with my menu when I'm losing, but boy do I need some sleep!

What do you think?
With all due respect, RITZ CRACKERS!! Since you posted in the Atkins forum, I'm going to assume you're doing Atkins...and...well, ritz crackers aren't on any Atkins food list I've ever seen. They contain enriched FLOUR and high frutose corn syrup & the box says 1 serving is 10 carbs!
If you are following Atkins, my suggestion would be to start adding more carbs slowly in 5 additional carb increments according to the carb ladder beginning with more veggies.
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 08:56 AM   #9  

Yes, I know about the ritz crackers. I've been doing Atkins for about 2 years, but I've found it's better to have a cracker or 2 when I'm really craving them, as opposed to waiting until the urge is unbearable and eating an entire sleeve! I slipped up, and compensated by cutting carbs elsewhere for the day. But in the interest of full disclosure, I figured I'd include them in my menu. Guess I should have mentioned that was the only atypical item on the menu.

I'll start upping my veggie carbs. KathyHegg, I'm glad to know I'm not the only one having sleepless nights. I'll let you know how the extra carbs affect my sleeping

I appreciate the feedback, Ladies! Thanks!
Old 02-02-2009, 11:49 AM   #10  
250/ticker/160

Height: 5"9

I know this thread is kinda old but no one said anything about the mtdew u were drinking being a culprit. It has a large amt of caffeine in it and I know that just after one can I'm awake for a long time. Mtdew is what most of the people I worked nights with would drink to stay awake....just a thought that this is what's causing your sleeplessness
Lacey
bnbsmommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote