Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 01-23-2009, 01:34 PM   #1  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Default fingerling (baby) bananas, yummy and so cute!

I'm using an exchange plan, and on plan I get two or three fruit servings (about 60 calories each). I like bananas, but they're not my favorite fruit, and I especially hate spending 2 fruits to eat one, but I also hate leaving half a banana for later. Hubby HATES bananas, so there isn't the option to share.

Fingerling bananas are the perfect solution (if you can find them for a reasonable price, and if you can find them at all). I've bought tiny bananas before from the asian markets, and today I actually weighed them and calculated their calorie comparison to regular bananas. A medium banana has about 100 calories, and a large banana about 125. In general, about 25 calories per ounce, so the baby bananas I bought have 25 - 30 calories each. So two of the tiny bananas are 1 serving of fruit.

The ones I bought were about the diameter of a nickel and about 4 inches long and weighed about an ounce each.

Last edited by kaplods; 01-23-2009 at 01:35 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 01:48 PM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

The other day I wanted a banana but we freeze bananas so I ate half then put the other half in the freezer bag for smoothies.

Even my asian market doesn't carry the small bananas but I saw them at a store not too long ago, I think they were 4.99/lb or so.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 02:02 PM   #3  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Yikes! I only paid about $2/lb, and I thought they were a bit pricey.

I've seen the red skinned baby bananas (though they're short, they're almost as large in diameter as regular bananas) in grocery stores before, for $4 or more a lb, but I've never seen the baby yellows anywhere (at any price) except in the asian markets in our area. My guess is that they can sell them at a much better price because there's a large demand for them among the asian shoppers (most of the asian markets that sell the small bananas don't even sell the larger bananas).

Last edited by kaplods; 01-23-2009 at 02:03 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 04:50 PM   #4  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Oh my asian markets sell lots of the bigger bananas for the cheapest price around, .39/lb. They also have plantains. I've seen the red bananas but I think that was at Whole Foods? not sure.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 12:06 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 225/207/140

Height: 5'5

I bought some baby bananas at Walmart last week. I don't remember how much they cost though.
ohmanda is offline   Reply With Quote