Old 01-20-2009, 10:17 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 261/237/200

Height: 5'3"

Default A few Atkins questions

First, The minimum for Induction is 20 grams of carbs, right? I thought I was sticking really close to this, but I'm not so sure anymore. I think a small salad with any kind of nutrients in it would have a good 15 grams of carbs. I haven't been weighing the salad, so I don't know how much of each vegetable is in it. But that would be my guess. It seems like it's impossible to get a decent amount of vegetables in without going over the limit. Anyone have any suggestions on this? My salads usually consist of mesculin, grilled chicken, onions, some shredded cheese and tomatoes. Sometimes things like olives and maybe some broccoli, depending on where I get it. Oh and a bit of light Italian dressing.

Second, As far as cold cuts goes, they're off limits in Induction, right? So, is that because of the nitrates? If I got cold cuts without the nitrates in them would that be ok?
ale2121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 05:15 AM   #2  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Are you subtracting the fiber grams from the total carbohydrate grams for your veggies (net carbs)?
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 07:56 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

Have you read the book thoroughly and checked to see if your book answers the questions that you have?

From what I recall (it has been a while since I read the book) Induction is 20 grams per day or less (not a minimum of 20...20 is the max)

This is NOT a lot of carbs, and that is why the Induction phase is only temporary. You are not supposed to be on so little veggies/carbs for an extended period of time-just enough to experience the full ketosis effect, and long enough in ketosis for your appetite to decrease and for you to lose your carb cravings.

I would recommend keeping a little better track of what you put in your salad...it is the only way to tell how many net carbs you are consuming. Measure and keep track of what you put into it.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 10:46 AM   #4  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

onions and tomatoes are fairly high in carbs for your induction period. Stick to your dark leafy greens, cukes, celery a bit of broccoli etc.

It isnt 20 carbs minimum...that is your max for the day. Like Aphil suggested, make sure you read thru the entire book. They have list of induction friendly veggies and foods.

Id stay away from the lunch meats....get yourself some nice chicken and cook up a bunch ahead of time so you have lunches available.

You also want to be careful of the "light" stuff like your salad dressing. Those items are usually loaded with sugar and bumps your carb intake up. You are better off eating the full fat stuff, and eating the recommended serving (2Tbsp)

Check out the Carb Counters section here on 3fc. JerseyGirl is a wealth of information!!
RobinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 10:49 AM   #5  
Going on a cruise w NKOTB

For induction... where I'm at ...

You need to measure the net carbs of your salad. Lettuce, onions, cheese and tomatoes all have carbs. You are not supposed to eat Light or Fat Free dressing, because they usually add sugar. You can't have dressing that has more than 2 net carbs per 2 tablespoon serving.

You can't have cold cuts because you don't know what fillers (sugars/carbs) are in them.
NickiChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 11:17 AM   #6  

OH! that 20 minimum was a typo. I meant to say 20 max. Plus too, you can stay on induction for a while if you want, right? I've been on it for a while, the cravings are totally gone. I have a lot to loose, so I'd like to stay on it for as long as possible. I'm too poor to buy the book.

Oh and also there is applegate farms (i believe it's called) lunch meats. They have all the nutrition values listed right on the package. no nitrates, no carbs. no antibiotics and all that good stuff.

And as far as subrtracting the fiber from the veggies, the website where i looked up all the nutrition info said it had already taken that into account.

And one more question, so would it be better to get oil and vinegar on my salad? Or does balsamic vinegar have carbs in it?

Last edited by ale2121; 01-21-2009 at 11:26 AM.
Old 01-21-2009, 01:59 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

ale-
You cannot do the Atkins plan properly, without following (and reading) the book. You simply cannot, and lose weight in a healthy manner.

If you don't have the money to buy the book, considering getting a library card at the local library, and borrowing the book to read and take some notes from.

No, you cannot do the Induction phase for longer than 2 weeks. To do this could seriously damage your health. Dr. Atkins did not mean for ANYONE to do the Induction phase longer than 2 weeks, because of how extremely low the carbs are on this phase. The Induction phase is a temporary part of the plan...the very beginning of it only!

After the 2 week Induction phase, you are supposed to gradually increase your carb intake. You will still be eating low carb (compared to most plans) but you will be definitely eating more than 20 max per day. Someone who is on the weight loss phase of the Atkins plan should be able to eat more veggies each day...as well as small servings of lower carb fruits, like berries, as well.

The Induction phase is simply to put your body into ketosis. It is not meant to be on for longer than 2 weeks at a time. You do Induction, then the Weight Loss Phase, and then finally, the Maintenance phase of the plan.

If you do not read the book, and only stay on the Induction phase to lose weight-not only are you damaging your health, but what happens when you lose the weight that you want to? You do not have the instruction on how to use the Atkins plan as a lifelong lifestyle change. If you do not have access to the information (book), then you are most likely going to gain the weight back when you return to eating normally.

Please consider getting the book-if you can't buy it right now, see your local library. Also check out Goodwill stores, eBay, and other cheaper sources for the book as well.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 02:17 PM   #8  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I would say listen to aphil...

Also head yourself over to the Atkins forum
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=226

How do you expect to be healthy with eating only 20 carbs/day max for an extended period of time?
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 10:57 PM   #9  

thanks for the link, I was looking for an Atkins section but didn't see it.
Old 01-22-2009, 11:10 AM   #10  

If you are significantly overweight, or have a condition making excercise impossible, Dr. Atkins' wife says it's OK to stay on induction longer than two weeks. Read more here on her website.

http://www.veronicaatkinsfoundation....0Induction.htm

Old 01-22-2009, 11:53 AM   #11  

thank you for that link too.
Old 01-23-2009, 10:53 AM   #12  

You're welcome! Anything us chicks can do to stay on track! As a side note, I do NOT have the book yet, I've been going off the Atkins website and the link I sent you above and have lost EIGHT POUNDS IN FOUR DAYS!!!! Honest to God, if it's gonna work for me, it should work for almost anyone! You can kick butt girl!